Folder full of unfinished games.

lindsay40k

Emperor
I simply can't be bothered to conclude half my games. It's the same story every time: there's a few capitals that my Great War era army needs to swim to get to, and after three turns of clicking on a first wave unit, manually moving it to where I told it to go last turn, the camera moves to a final wave unit whose path is blocked by a penultimate wave unit which has not yet moved to where I told it to go last turn, repeat ad nauseum.

I'm not using hyperbole when I say this process is mind-numbingly boring to me and simply not worth the effort to conclude a game that's basically won already.

I can see how embarkation is a simpler system than standalone transport ships, but the lack of rally points turns this system into a monster. At least with Civ IV's shift-click bug, it can be worked around. Not here. Every turn is a Rubik's Cube.

My housemate has been introducing me to CiV and whilst I've enjoyed Culture games and Science seems fun, Conquest is extremely frustrating and boring. A tense defensive war or raid is fun - the endgame bottlenecking juggernaut is a dealbreaker. I hope a rally point system is patched, because I just can't justify the price tag of all the content to play BnW when it feels so unfinished.

It's a shame, as there's a lot about the game I'm enjoying.

This is the major flaw with 1upt - it does make tactics very important, but it also has the effect of making late-game wars extremely cumbersome.

This is the major flaw with 1upt - it does make tactics very important, but it also has the effect of making late-game wars extremely cumbersome.

True, but it beats a horde of units on one tile. That is the main why I left civ 4, or to put it more aptly, civ 4 left me. :p

I definitely do prefer it to the stacks of doom, but it can get a bit annoying. I tend to not go domination victory style in Civ, but the times I have done it in CiV, I've chosen to use a whole bunch of naval units, air units and land units. Makes it a lot easier.

Alternatively if you prefer it, you can get 2 or 3 upt from mods.

Yeah, Civ4 was terrific, but stacks of doom... :rolleyes:

for OP : Carriers+Bombers, Paratroopers and Xcom squad my friend. ;) It will speed up your game a lot.

Yeah, Civ4 was terrific, but stacks of doom... :rolleyes:

for OP : Carriers+Bombers, Paratroopers and Xcom squad my friend. ;) It will speed up your game a lot.

Stacks of Doom was the reason I never played Civ IV. He doesn't have all that advanced stuff if he is sending GWI, but yes just research the techs and drop XCom on them.

Personally I just delete those games and start a new one, life is short and Civ games are long.

I simply can't be bothered to conclude half my games. It's the same story every time: there's a few capitals that my Great War era army needs to swim to get to, and after three turns of clicking on a first wave unit, manually moving it to where I told it to go last turn, the camera moves to a final wave unit whose path is blocked by a penultimate wave unit which has not yet moved to where I told it to go last turn, repeat ad nauseum.

I'm not using hyperbole when I say this process is mind-numbingly boring to me and simply not worth the effort to conclude a game that's basically won already.

So don't play domination games. I hate domination victory on big maps and in singleplayer exactly because of this - too much micromanagement, too big boredom, too annoying logistic problems with transporting all this units over the globe :p

When I imagine tiny islands huge map with many civs and me going for domination in late - game... Oh my God, what a nightmare...

I didn't conclude a lot of my domination games but I conclude almost always other types of games - with going for science/diplomacy/cultural victory while engaging in world diplomacy and fighting wars necessary for my nation, no nonense "domination" wars ;)

A tense defensive war or raid is fun - the endgame bottlenecking juggernaut is a dealbreaker. I hope a rally point system is patched, because I just can't justify the price tag of all the content to play BnW when it feels so unfinished.

It's a shame, as there's a lot about the game I'm enjoying.

Try mods :p

Alternatively if you prefer it, you can get 2 or 3 upt from mods.

How does the AI perform with these mods? How are the tile defenders picked?

I much prefer the Civ 5 system to any other combat system there has been in any other Civ game but I think 2 or 3 units per hex would be better than just one. There would be no doomstacks but moving and concentrating forces would be easier.

I find the fact that embarked units move so slowly the most tedious part of domination victories. And cultural victories if you have to start shipping musicicians to the other side of the globe. If units moved as fast as ships do it would make the late game more enjoyable.

Don't play domination games?

I like domination games.

Specifically, I like Mussolini games. And if Paris is on the other side of the world and I have legions of artillery and rifles and lancers that were formerly Landsknechte, I don't want to wait until sci-fi teleporters to teach Boney a lesson.

Just play smaller maps and do play in bitesize chunks. I couldn't play anything bigger than a small map because of the amount of units. The only request I have is for a multiple-aircraft-move-order, but even that's not too bad. With airplanes theres no bottleneck, just open land.

Don't play domination games?

I like domination games.

Me too - and I'll put up with the movement orders to do so. Although as someone said, pity the AI doesn't simply move to next nearest unit instead of bouncing about all over the map.

I really liked in Civ4 they had 2 militaristic victory conditions. 1 was the same as civ5, controlling all the capitals (iirc). But they also had one where you needed certain percentages of the total world's population and land (somewhere around 2/3 of each). This victory condition was much more reasonable and almost always happened before controlling everyone's capital. It was kind of like the mercy rule where if you're that dominant with population & land, you win. I think putting that into Civ5 would solve at least part of the problem.

Go germany, go autocracy. get all the XP buildings and wonders, get the XP tenet from autocracy, get the Alhambra wonder. Build panzers. You will start with lvl 4 upgraded panzers, 3x rought terrain bonus + auto-repair. You will level soon to level 5, get the movement or the double attack.
Regardless you will have tanks that will be capable of travelling a distance of 8 tiles per turn. You have no idea how fun is it to pillage with them :D

Yeah, this is super annoying. What seems to work a bit better for me is to line all my troops up in the water outside the target and to move them manually once they're all in place. The pathfinding thing tends to work fine when it's just on land or just on water, but it gets janky when you try to mix the two.

I find the fact that embarked units move so slowly the most tedious part of domination victories. And cultural victories if you have to start shipping musicians to the other side of the globe. If units moved as fast as ships do it would make the late game more enjoyable.

They speed up significantly later in the game. Your point stands though. In addition to lack of waypoints making moving large numbers of units cumbersome, it takes too damn long to get anywhere.

Hills, jungles, forests, rivers, on a huge map even warfare on the same continent can be taxing.

Accelerated movement depending on map size/era, a "march" feature which reduces defensive capabilities while enabling faster movement. No idea what the fix is, but would like to see it addressed in VI.

I do two things to get through the late game domination slog:

- Stop playing at Industrial for awhile and start a new game or two. Sometimes I never return, but usually if I've built a strong base I will decide to return. Coming back to your own game after awhile feels almost like a scenario and provides the energy handle all the little details.

- Switch to Strategic mode for the final push. This dramatically speeds up the game and when you're rolling a carpet of death across the map 'feels' better as well. Sometimes I play for hours in that mode and when I switch back it just feels wrong.

They speed up significantly later in the game. Your point stands though. In addition to lack of waypoints making moving large numbers of units cumbersome, it takes too damn long to get anywhere.

Embarked units are still much more slower than ships even after all the techs which increase their speed. I wish that at least the exploration policy would affect the speed of embarked units. I guess embarked units with 8 moves could make things a bit crazy for Denmark but they'd deserve it.

I also feel that non-tank lategame units (Paras and Xcoms excluded) are also pretty slow which probably contributes to the tedium of lategame dom games. I feel that Mech Infantry and Rocket Artillery should have at least 4 moves. Rocket Artillery could perhaps then do with a slight ranged strenght nerf. From a realism point of view modern IFVs and self-propelled artillery probably have no problems keeping up with tanks and from a gameplay perspective it would significantly speed up lategame wars when it would take less time to crawl from one end of the continent to another.

Only half? I haven't finished more than 10% of my games due to various reasons but mostly due to the game being in practice won long before T200. The unit movement is one of the reasons I avoid the later turns but by no means do I want to change the 1upt rule - it's better than the alternatives but I rather still use nukes & SBs if I really am going for domination.

Mostly I avoid the end game not the get overwhelmingly annoyed about the game which resulted me quitting a week after BNW even though the game is better than ever. I just didn't want to play it due to bugs/moronics which should've been fixed by now.

After the fall patch I've played few games & even finished one but again I quit my last game ~T120. I was in fine position just after spying started but when 2nd tech was stolen from me and I still had 28 turns left I decided not to continue as this didn't make any sense. The incident itself has little or no impact on the outcome of the game but I just decided not to participate. And it's the same story over & over again - minor stuff just keep accumulating until it's just not fun anymore. New game sweeps the sheet clean for a while at least and in general the pre-industrial time is more enjoyable anyway.

The problem is that the game gets boring very fast.

Top Bottom