Fortified Mechanized Infantry way stronger then modern armor?

Emper0r

Chieftain
Hey guys, is this a bug in the game or something? Anytime there's a mechanized infantry that's foritfied on a city or something it usually takes 3 modern armors to bring it down! Any suggestions on the best way to counter them?

Have you knocked the city defenses down using artillery, bombers, and/or offshore bombardment? That's always my first step. Then you can soften up the defending units with "suicide artillery," or use bombers/fighters for air strikes to knock strength down.

Each unit has its place to play in the <sing voice="TimonAndPumbaa"> Circle of War... </sing> (ahem, sorry, got carried away)

Emper0r said:
Hey guys, is this a bug in the game or something? Anytime there's a mechanized infantry that's foritfied on a city or something it usually takes 3 modern armors to bring it down! Any suggestions on the best way to counter them?
No they're not that strong.
If you face them on grassland, mech infantry is basically swiss cheese when faced the modern armor.
You're dealing with a likely 80% city defense, 25% fortify, so that's over 100% on 32 str. Of course that would make your life pretty miserable.
Do bring artillery to you fight.

Infantryman with light armored vehicles are capable of defending against an urban area against and armored attack. Great! That sounds about right, but as many pointed out in the open they fair less well. Armored troops should not be for attacking cities. They should be for clearing a path to the city.

maybe marines should have a city attack bonus?
they would be then very usefull to figth urban resistance...

Red Boxer said:
Infantryman with light armored vehicles are capable of defending against an urban area against and armored attack. Great! That sounds about right, but as many pointed out in the open they fair less well. Armored troops should not be for attacking cities. They should be for clearing a path to the city.

Agreed. Personally I think it is very strange that Armor can receive the City Raider promotions. Seems to me that Tanks are the last thing you need when in combat in an urban environment (yeah, they are somewhat useful, but not unless accompanied by lots of infantry). It would make much more sense to allow Infantry and Marines the City Raider promotion, but not allow it for Tanks and Modern Armor. I really don't understand that design decision from Firaxis.

Red Boxer said:

I have to agree with this one. Armor attacking in cities against a Mech Inf Div would be toast. Now in the open it would be the other way around, which I believe it is in the game :)

A Mech. Inf unit with Garrison 3 which has been fortified for 5 turns gets +100% bonus when defending - at a strength of 64. To this must be added any bonuses from city and tile defence, making it a formidable opponent. You should, naturally, batter the city-defence down to zero by bombardment, but there's no way to cut down tile defence for which the bonuses are also cumulative: I met with trouble when my enemy had thoughtfully built a city on a hill/forest/jungle tile for a tile defence of +125%, which would have added another 32 points to a mech. inf. Until that moment, I had nor realised that such 'compound' terrain features would have such a powerful effect, nor even that a threefold condition existed.
As stated by others, bomb and strafe to whittle them down. And your own units will do better with some promotions, don't forget: City Raider 3 gives your Modern Armour a city-attack strength of 40 +75% = 70, plus any Combat promotions. Or go for Flanking and use a hit-and-retreat tactic, again wearing down the enemy. (The latter is also true for Artillery attacking units, but alas not for bombarding).
Even with the two attacks allowed by Blitz, which all Mod. Arm. gets at the outset, it seldom happens in my games that each one of my units destroys one or more of the enemy units in a well-defended city during a single turn. So you need to outnumber him, as well as out-strengthing him, to avoid a lengthy siege. Bring up a good big force.

Top Bottom