forum reoganization for next game

who will work it out?

we also will need a proposal for the approval polls for all appointed positions (census, historian etc).

i made a list of those in another thread and also fitted them to the departments which should be responsible for appointing the ppl there and posting the approval polls.

Originally posted by Shaitan
So combining a bunch of the ideas above...

Basically keep the same setup we have now. Index everything that can be grouped instead of stickying individually. If something else is desired to be sticky, it has to be added to the appropriate section of the COS.

Does this sound basically okay?

It basically sounds okay. Indexes are much better. Who will maintain them? I wonder if we can have too many of sticky indecies too... I'm with Eklektikos - natural selection should rule. After all, nothing gets "deleted".

(What is the plural form of index anyway?)

For fluid items like polls and discussions, the type of index we are using right now for Polls is the best option. This is basically a "subscription point" where people can advertise a new poll/discussion. For governmental offices, citizen group registry, etc (static items) an index edited by a mod is definitely the way to go. This is a reference point instead of a subscription point. Always handy when you need to find the important/official thread and you will see all of the relevant thread links in one spot.

@Chiefpaco

it's "indices" :)

Following is the current org structure with the addition of indexes (@Eklektikos: :p) and registries. An index is updated by mods. A registry is like our current poll registry where citizens post their additions. An Index/Registry would be a combination where the mod updates the index in the first post and citizens post the instructions for changes in the same thread (a bit like "needed things" but specific to that thread).

Code:
COS A.	Forum Organization 
1.	Main Forum - Game play related information 
	A.	Intro Thread
	B.	Chat Turn Registry (President only is allowed to post.)
	C.	Constitution 
	D.	Judicial Log 
	E.	Citizen Registry
	F.	Needed Stuff 
	G.	Province Map (Geographic Society?)
	H.	Chat Turn threads
	I.	Election threads (nominations, polls) 
	J.	Only mods should open threads here. A through G are sticky.
2.	Government Sub-forum - Government related information 
	A.	Government Thread Index
	B.	Elected/Appointed Officials Index (Combine A & B?) 
	C.	Province Thread Index (Combine A, B, & C?)
	D.	Budget 
	E.	Trade Table 
	F.	Government Threads 
	G.	Province Threads 
	H.	Citizens are allowed to post, but not to open their own
		threads. All discussion should be spawned to the citizen
		forum with only a link in the governmental forum to avoid
		clutter. The result of the discussion should be brought
		back to the government forum thereafter. A through E are
		sticky.
3.	Citizen Sub-forum - Citizen related information 
	A.	Citizen group Index & Registry
	B.	City Index & Registry
	C.	Heritage Index & Registry
	D.	Discussion Registry
	E.	Citizen groups 
	F.	Discussions 
	G.	City threads 
	H.	Heritage threads 
		1.	Examples: Cultural Art thread, Newspaper thread, etc. 
	I.	A through D are sticky 
4.	Poll Sub-forum - Polls 
	A.	Poll Registry 
	B.	Citizen Polls 
	C.	Legislative Votes 
	D.	Council Votes 
	E.	A is sticky.

Good work, Shaitan. Should work well. One thing I might somewhat prefer, I think, going along with the less stickyness ideals. If there are indeces in the govt subforum, I think we might be able to do without stickying the govt threads. I'd like no more than about 5 or 6 threads max as sticky (personal preference, not sure if I am alone here). I think stickyness should be reserved for 2 things only:
- indeces
- super-game-breaking information that may otheriwse fall off the forums because of few posts (like the constitution, registry, etc...)

I'd also do as much combination as possible. I like conserving space over clarity, but maybe it's just me who is used to things.

I'm not sure what you mean by "Trade table". What does this represent?

But otherwise, cool. :cooool:

@chiefpaco - I agree with the gov threads being unsticky (slippery?). They are slippery in the post above.

The Trade Table was a thread used each turn by the Trade Dept to keep an updated trade list with trade possibilities, etc. It was in Excel (therefor the name). Not sure if this should be included as it's dependent on what the Trade leader wants to do.

Looks very workable. I'm glad to see the Geographical Society in the Main Forum and sticky. I like the idea of thread indexing, but I don't think discussion indexing in the Citizen's Forum is necessary. I do like the Government indexing and think a, b, & c can be combined if the index thread is clear and easy to use (maybe some color-coding?). And of course freeing up (unstickying) the Government threads is a great idea. Good work.

Originally posted by Cyc
I don't think discussion indexing in the Citizen's Forum is necessary.

I agree here too.

The Trade Table I probabaly wouldn't sticky. I think the Trade Dept may be able to contain it. Otherwise, I'm not sure I would see the difference between it and say, the Science Queue, or the List of preferred FA nations or something else the other depts may do.

I am looking forward to it in action now! :yeah:

I have been cotaining my tables to the trade thread, that's no problem. I clicked a bad link once and accidentially started a new thread for it. I would be willing to keep it permenately in a new thread, though.

Are we going to, then, start with a new forum, if we are to get new forum organization? Does it have to be approved as a change to the CoS by the council?

There should be an index in the 1st post of those threads. And someone has to maintain them.

Also, citizen discussion indexing is needed for important discussions, as they are out of focus pretty fast when not sticky. Just to decide which one is important will be the problem.

A citizen discussion index wouldn't work well. There are too many discussions and someone (mods) would be forced to continually review them and decide if they were important enough for the index. That's not a feasable scenario. A discussion registry may not be needed either. With the other registries, there will be less sticky threads, meaning a new discussion will stay on page 1 for a longer period of time. Personally, I like the idea of a registry for these. I have grown very used to the poll registry and being informed when a new poll is posted.

Here it is with the latest feedback. This proposal will need a sponsor from the Cabinet to change the Code of Standards.

Code:
COS A.	Forum Organization 
1.	Main Forum - Game play related information 
	A.	Intro Thread
	B.	Chat Turn Registry (President only is allowed to post.)
	C.	Constitution 
	D.	Judicial Log 
	E.	Citizen Registry
	F.	Needed Stuff 
	G.	Province Map (Geographic Society?)
	H.	Chat Turn threads
	I.	Election threads (nominations, polls) 
	J.	Only mods should open threads here. A through G are sticky.
2.	Government Sub-forum - Government related information 
	A.	Government Thread Index (all branches)
	B.	Budget 
	C.	Government Threads 
	D.	Province Threads 
	E.	Citizens are allowed to post, but not to open their own
		threads. All discussion should be spawned to the citizen
		forum with only a link in the governmental forum to avoid
		clutter. The result of the discussion should be brought
		back to the government forum thereafter. A and B are
		sticky.
3.	Citizen Sub-forum - Citizen related information 
	A.	Citizen group Index & Registry
	B.	City Index & Registry
	C.	Heritage Index & Registry
	D.	RPG Index & Registry
	E.	RPG threads
	F.	Citizen groups 
	G.	Discussions 
	H.	City threads 
	I.	Heritage threads 
		1.	Examples: Cultural Art thread, Newspaper thread, etc. 
	J.	A through D are sticky 
4.	Poll Sub-forum - Polls 
	A.	Poll Registry 
	B.	Citizen Polls 
	C.	Legislative Votes 
	D.	Council Votes 
	E.	A is sticky.

mayby it should be implemented as alternative? like proposal x and proposal x with citizen discussion registry?

good. make a info poll for 2 days and then the apporval poll directly out of it.
info poll to make options clear and decission poll after it.

Top Bottom