Found New Civilizations

Crayton

King
Until you reach the Medieval Era, any city you found will kick off a new civilization that is initially a vassal of yours, complete with your advanced technology. Also, the algorithm favors civilizations of a similar art-style (if you are the Sumerians then you will found the Babylonians before founding the Dutch).

Code Limitations:

1) In the game setup screen you must setup the MAX number of civs you want to appear in the game (I'd suggest filling all 18 slots). At Game Start, only the first 3 civs will settle in 4000 BC. Once all of the civs have been spawned, cities you found will be your own, even if you have not yet advanced to the Middle Ages.

2) Civs have the potential to be respawned if destroyed early enough, carrying with them the State of War (and probable vassal status) that they perished under.

Concept Progression:

Originally the idea was for "civilization" to start in 3 locations around the world (ex. MesoAmerica, Southwest Asia, Far East) and slowly these regions would be populated with future civs.

Creating a vassal seemed like a decent way to balance creating a normal, integral city and creating an instant enemy.

I don't often experience vassalage in-game, so I was surprised when after thousands of years these spawned civs would still choose to remain vassals. Ideally, they would declare their independence at some point. This did lead to massive, continental wars between other vassal "trees."

Ideas or Suggestions?

1) Hard-code vassal separation OR make founding an enemy city somehow beneficial
2) Figure out how to erase a civ's memory if needed for re-spawning
3) Incorporate the 36-civ mods I've seen. (I tried to strip down one such mod and use their SDK myself... and failed)
4) Re-select civs & leaders in-game so that the next civ founded is from the correct part of the world (ex. a second China civ with a different leader) regardless of how that civ-slot was initialized at game start.

Currently the game fits rather well into the One-City-Challenge concept, although that was not the intent.

Attachments

• Asia.zip
    10.4 KB · Views: 153
Hey, the first time i saw this i didn't see how it could nicely fit in the rest of the mods out there.
I have this idea for a mod I'm gonna make, and part of it is a really slow beginning, as well I was trying to figure out some way to make the earlier expansion passive.

After breaking my head for a while I remembered this modcomp suggestion, and i thought about how it could fit nicely.
It should not be hard coded the vassals separations, instead, depending if they're happy with the leader civ, they may break the vassal agreement or be assimilated, but not hard coded, this should be made like any other diplomatic trade and also depending on later technologies.

It's like Vassal city-states, I thought they act could like team( share resources and outputs), but regular vassal is better to make they unhappy with the agreement.
Of course they wouldn't be able to expand for themselves( until separation) and somehow be recognized as the same culture or nationality( maybe).

Anyway, this are just ideas that would fit my mod particularly. How are you doing with the development?

This looks extremely interesting, I have always thought that the way civ creates expansion is very contrived (obviously just for gameplay) and unrealistic. Something like this would seem more like an organic civilization development.:)

Very cool addition, it works well with Kael's assimilation mod IMO :goodjob:

This looks extremely interesting, I have always thought that the way civ creates expansion is very contrived (obviously just for gameplay) and unrealistic. Something like this would seem more like an organic civilization development.:)

Yeah I always hated the earlier expansion rush.
I'm still thinking of solutions, but to have the earlier expansion slowed and random seems too out of control, gameplay wise.

If anyone wants to join in the brainstorm circle, you're welcome.

This mod would be perfect if the was a assimilation system in game...

Top Bottom