Freak Out of the Week: Washington Leadership and Cultist Posterboy

Archer 007

Rebirth
On Wednesday we reported on a largely ignored story -- investigated in depth by journalist John Gorenfeld -- about Congressman Danny Davis (D-IL) having participated recently in a bizarre Davis with Moonie crownDC event featuring purported Korean cult leader Sun Myung Moon. Moon -- the leader of the Korean-based Unification Church cult, a convicted felon, and owner of the Washington Times newspaper and the UPI press service -- was previously involved in the "Koreagate" Congressional scandal in the late 1970s. We mentioned yesterday how Davis wore white gloves, read Moon's "Crown of Glory" poem, and carried a golden crown that was placed on Moon's head after Moon proclaimed himself the "Messiah," the "King of Peace" and "Returning Lord." The crowning relates to Moon's push over the past year to urge Christian churches to remove crosses from their walls and replace them with a crown -- honoring the King of Kings (which, of course, he says is himself). Now, if you thought that was bad ... well, keep reading because it gets much worse!

The huge event was Weldon at Moonie eventheld in the Dirksen Senate Office Building -- a US government building -- on Capitol Hill. Not only were there Congressional Co-Chairs of the event (Congressmen Danny Davis, Curt Weldon, Roscoe Bartlett, Sanford Bishop and Chris Cannon), others played roles that evening. US Senator Lindsey Graham, NRCC Chair Tom Davis and Congressman Phil Crane served on the Host Committee, as did noted GOP political consultant Charlie Black. Weldon -- who had his staff initially deny he even attended, then claimed he possibly popped in briefly on his way to a meeting -- actually delivered the official "congratulatory remarks" welcoming the guests. Weldon, however, seems to have a good reason to fear exposure of how closely tied he is to Moon. On June 19, 2003, the Congressional Record shows that Davis introduced remarks on behalf of himself and Weldon for last year's Amassadors of Peace Award ceremony held in the Rayburn House Office Building. Weldon and Khadafy"Many of my colleagues will join me and the Gentleman from Pennsylvania [Mr. Weldon], co-chair, in giving tribute to ... those honored with the Ambassadors for Peace Award ... We are grateful to the founders of Ambassadors for Peace, the Reverend and Mrs. Sun Myung [Moon], for promoting the vision of world peace, and we commend them for their work," said Davis. Weldon has even gone so far as to apparently organize a Congressional fact-finding mission to Libya to create an opportunity for him to present dictator Moammar Khadafy with one of Moon's Ambassadors of Peace pins. Don't believe me, check out the photo at left (which was also displayed by Weldon at the Moon event in the Dirksen Building).

So, what else went on at the Dirksen event? Famed civil rights activist and retired Congressman Walter Fauntroy (D-DC) presided at the event. A welcoming letter from House Speaker Dennis Hastert (R-IL) was read. Congressional Black Caucus Chairman Bartlett gets Moonie medalElijah Cummings (D-MD) praised Moon for "always standing up for what is right." Is Cummings aware that Moon supports the eradication of homosexuals (who Moon calls "dirty dung-eating dogs")? Utah State Senator Howard Stephenson (R) spoke "as an ancestor of the white settlers, the pilgrims, and those who moved westward ... as a representative of my people in a spirit of repentance for the 'Trail of Tears' which we imposed upon the Native Americans." Bartlett next was proclaimed to be one of Moon's Ambassadors of Peace, and received a medal for this from Moon. Then came the Davis poem reading and the crowning ceremony. The narrator of the official Moonie-produced video of the event -- when showing this part -- stated that "the Honorable Roscoe Bartlett [was] representing the United States" at the crowning and "Senators and Congressmen and representatives of all the [religious] families of the world joined in." The Moonie video even claims that "81 US Senators and Congressmen" attended the event, although nowhere near that number appear in the video.

In a related development, it seems the Washington Post's "Reliable Source" column on April 4 unsuccessfully attempted to report on Moon's remarks at the event. They quoted Moon as proclaiming (and this is the same quote that appears in Moon's own video): "The five great saints and many other leaders in the spirit world, including even communist leaders such as Marx and Lenin, who committed all manner of barbarity and murders on Earth, and dictators such as Hitler and Stalin, have found strength in my teachings, Moon coronation on Capitol Hillmended their ways and been reborn as new persons. Emperors, kings and presidents who enjoyed opulence and power on Earth, and even journalists who had worldwide fame, have now placed themselves at the forefront of the column of the true love revolution. ... They have declared to all Heaven and Earth that Reverend Sun Myung Moon is none other than humanity's Savior, Messiah, Returning Lord and True Parent." However, shortly after it first appeared on the Post site, it was deleted by the Post and oddly replaced by a paragraph about Celebrity Jeopardy.

In recent years, former Vice President Dan Quayle and Attorney General John Ashcroft (in 2001) and former President George H.W. Bush (in 1988) also attended events with Moon. Bush even called him "the man with the vision." Finally -- as if you aren't sick already -- senior Congressman Charlie Rangel (D-NY) signed a proclamation on Congressional letterhead in April 2004 recognizing Moon as the "True Parent" and "King of Peace."

Bottom line: Why did elected officials actively and tacitly participate in crowning this ex-felon as the Messiah and King of Peace? Where is the public outrage demanding that these officials -- both Democrats and Republicans -- answer for their fawning ties to this cult leader?

The Moonies sure are scary and they have a lot of money, equalling political power.

I've vaguely heard about the moonies. I would be most pleased with a source for the article though. If it has any sort of truth I'd say it's time to let curt have his way with the US congress.

If you all ever wish me to assume power in the USA, I will definitely make time for it!

promoting the vision of world peace, and we commend them for their work

senior Congressman Charlie Rangel (D-NY) signed a proclamation on Congressional letterhead in April 2004 recognizing Moon as the "True Parent" and "King of Peace."

Just when I thought it couldnt get any weirder

*And I thought the Mass weddings at Washington Times were bizzar

This is unbelievable. And scary. I saw a programme about Sun Myung Moon once, what a sinister man. Absolutely ridiculous that elected representatives are fawning round this malevolant group and their malevolant leader. I knew he was a powerful man, but I didn't realise so much of the US government was in thrall to him.

Let me get this straight:-

It's good and proper to blindly follow the words of a messiah that died 2,000 years ago but it's scary and sick to blindly follow a messiah that is living now. :rolleyes:

It seems that the moonies number slightly more than 12 at this stage of his campaign. :eek:

edit: I wish I could spell.

warmonger said:
It's good and proper to blindly follow the words of a messiah that died 2,000 years ago but it's scary and sick to blindly follow a messiah that is living now. :rolleyes:
They're taking over CFC!

Doesn't this guy advocate public executions for homosexuals and adulterers? Sounds Taliban-tastic to me.

Enkidu Warrior said:
Doesn't this guy advocate public executions for homosexuals and adulterers? Sounds Taliban-tastic to me.

Here is more on the Moonies
* ABOUT JEWS: Christian Challenge found these remarks on a Moon-run website last year. Speaking at an event, Moon blamed the Jews for the Holocaust and demanded that they accept him as their messianic leader. "Who are the Jewish members here? Raise your hands! [Then, in response to the raised hands] Jewish people, you have to repent. Jesus was the King of Israel. Through the principle of indemnity Hitler killed 6 million Jews. That is why. God could not prevent Satan from doing that because Israel killed the True Parents. Even now, you have to determine that you will repent and follow and become one with Christianity through Rev. Moon," said Moon.
* ABOUT SEX AND INTER-RACIAL RELATIONSHIPS: "Man's convex love organ, thousands of your ancestors culminate there. When these two organs meet together, lineage is mixed. Through that, new life is created. Do you think that new life would want to get involved in the dirty, filthy lineages of its parents? Will the newborn try to run away from this filthy abomination? 'I would rather not be home,' it might say ... If you create a mixture of black and white, maybe not in your generation but down the road (a few generations) a sign of this mixture will emerge. The worst possible man and woman meet together and have a relationship, and then won't they create the worst devil? They both inherited Satan's lineage. Do you think they can separate it from them? If you young people do something, you will create a worse thing than the atom bomb ... We should love our enemy, but what about our love organ and lineage. You sisters look so gentle and pretty, but your lineage is filthy and dirty. You need a blood transfusion. But there is only satanic lineage? What can you do? Where can you find God's love? That is why throughout human history God created many religions through which he trained people to receive the Lord of the Second Advent. The role of the messiah is to clean the filthy blood lineage and give God's blood to mankind ... Satan is like a prostitute. pliersDon't we all have that kind of mind? Perhaps a Westerner may feel "If I sleep with this oriental man, it will be good." We all have this problem, no matter how old. Sometimes old women have the urge to live with a handsome young man. Among six billion people, there are all kinds of handsome men and women all over the world. If you become a promiscuous person, you can commit all kinds of sin ... What about young Americans who go to nightclubs and dance and have one-night stands? They mix their blood. Your lineage is so filthy; there is no way to clean it ... We possess the most fearful organ, the love organ. Unless we become one mind and body, we cannot enter the kingdom of God. Even after forty days of fasting, you forget meal time. But to unite mind and body, you still cannot enter ... As a man, in your right front pants pocket is a small inside watch pocket. Keep pliers there, and when you go to the bathroom, once a day, pinch your love organ. Cut the skin a little bit as a warning. If your love organ does not listen to your conscience, then you should cut off the tip. Even if it takes that extreme measure, we have to make sure our mind and body become one ... Without going through that kind of enlightenment stage, you cannot become a true man ... ," excerpted from a 2001 Moon speech entitled "Purity, Lineage and the Love Organ" (found on a Moon-run website).
* ABOUT GAYS: "There will be a purge on God’s orders ... Gays will be eliminated ... It will be greater than the communist purge, but at God’s orders," as quoted in the New York Press (2004).

Top Bottom