• In anticipation of the possible announcement of Civilization 7, we have decided to already create the Civ7 forum. For more info please check the forum here .

FREE library

noncognosco

Warlord
Played my first game post-patch yesterday. I noticed that the library I got as a result of building the Great Library was listed in the city screen as "Library (FREE)". So I suspect that in addition to getting an automatic library in the city that builds the Great Library, it is also a "free" library in the sense that you don't have to pay maintenence for it.

Can anyone else confirm this and also confirm for the other free buildings that are associated with wonders now, e.g. free wall will Great Wall.

Played my first game post-patch yesterday. I noticed that the library I got as a result of building the Great Library was listed in the city screen as "Library (FREE)". So I suspect that in addition to getting an automatic library in the city that builds the Great Library, it is also a "free" library in the sense that you don't have to pay maintenence for it.

Can anyone else confirm this and also confirm for the other free buildings that are associated with wonders now, e.g. free wall will Great Wall.

That's how it is described in the patch notes. Wonders do not require maintenance. A wall has no maintenance anyway, but you also get one automatically when building the Great Wall.

Patch notes: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=427485, includes a list of the newly free buildings under "Wonders"

That's how it is described in the patch notes. Wonders do not require maintenance. A wall has no maintenance anyway, but you also get one automatically when building the Great Wall.

Patch notes: http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=427485, includes a list of the newly free buildings under "Wonders"

I saw the patch notes but I assumed that by free it just meant you got a building of that type without having to go through the trouble of building it. I was not aware that it was also free of maintenence.

Confirmed the free library in my game. But why do you need confirmation? It was listed in the patch notes and you observed it yourself. :p

Great Library is huge with its triple bonus. Well quintuple, with the culture and Great Scientist point.

what happens if you build a library before building the great library? Does your existing library become free or do you end up with two libraries, one free one at expense?

In Civ5Buildings.xml, a field "FreeBuildingThisCity" is defined. I do not know where to look up how it is evaluated, but that would yield the answer to that question. Though I've not seen any double buildings in my games yesterday.

I'd guess your first library would lose its maintenance cost. I have seen no double buildings in any civ game yet, it would be a deviation from established practice :)

In the Immortal game I was playing last night, I built the library and then got the GL (when I noticed no AI was bothering to build it).

It replaced the original Library with the Library (free) version.

As was posted in the bug reports section, not only do you get a library for free, but you can sell it every turn for 18G with no consequence. Try not to cheat!

Also, the free walls with the Great Wall don't show up on your city graphic

Which makes me happy, because I dislike the look of walls but love the Great Wall!

Top Bottom