Frequently Asked Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.
Its an option when you 1st start the game so you can do 2 things to enable them, well 3 really

1) Duh!!! enable them when you begin game, one of many options under a custom game.
2) You could count down the options, i.e. its option 15 in list, go to the Civ 4 ini file open with a text editor, count through the options to number 15, the 15th 1 or 0, and change it from 0 to a 1
3) Just start a new game.

Remember, its under CUSTOM GAME, not start now.

Its an option when you 1st start the game so you can do 2 things to enable them, well 3 really

1) Duh!!! enable them when you begin game, one of many options under a custom game.
2) You could count down the options, i.e. its option 15 in list, go to the Civ 4 ini file open with a text editor, count through the options to number 15, the 15th 1 or 0, and change it from 0 to a 1
3) Just start a new game.

Remember, its under CUSTOM GAME, not start now.

Thanks for the help!

Is it possible to tweak this in the middle of my current save using method 2, or do I have to start a new one?

(and by the way: the "duh" part is unnecessary; Aforess himself stated at some point that AND is similar to RoM unless you tweak it, so since RoM has Warlords enabled by default I assumed AND would be similar)

So I got home and went to try creating a new custom game (option 1 or 3). I see no option for enabling or disabling Warlord units. What exactly is the name of the option?

Installation & Setup
[*]Is A New Dawn available in any other languages than English?
  • Yes. Most of the text has been translated into German and French. Iff you can translate the text for me, I will gladly add it in the next version.

Hmm, where do i find the text to translate?

Do you plan on adding the K-Mod speed fixes to the mod, Afforess?

EDIT: Nevermind, I just remembered that K-Mod is written by Koshling...

Actually K-Mod is written by karadoc.

Karadoc and Kshling have done some collaboration.

JosEPh

Hello,

RoM is a great mod. When i heard about an even better expansion (A New Dawn) i ran to reinstall my Civ 4 (Complete edition) and downloaded it.

Here is what i did:

1. Installed the Civ4 Complete
2. Updated my BtS to 3.19
3. Downloaded the ~850mb "Rise of Mankind - A New Daw 1.75.exe"
4. Installed it inside the BtS mods folder.

The game runs with no problem, but after a few turns i got:

"Bad Memory Allocation" crash frequently.

To fix that i tried to:

- run the game as administrator (disabling UAC in Vista 32) - IT DIDNT FIX

- so i've allocated more ram memory to programs through Control Panel. - STILL THE SAME, just a few turns later.

The game still crashes after some Classical Era turns.

BUT THE MORE SERIOUS PROBLEM:

- I cannot load most of my saved games. It gets RUNTIME ERROR all the time.

Don't know what to do. A New Dawn seems very good, but i can't actually enjoy it.

Windows Vista-32
Core i3, 3.1ghz, 4gb RAM
GeForce GT220

Are you Using version 1.75 Or the new 2.0?

If you are using 1.75 did you patch it to 1.75c?

If using A New dawn 2.0 is it the Main D/L version or the SVN version? Also if 2.0 a save game before the CTD would help.

Post the savegame and a description of the problem in the Beta Feedback thread instead of this one the FAQ.

Thanks,
JosEPh :)

I recently downloaded this mod but I just can't get it to work. I installed it exactly as it says here but it doesn't even appear on the list when I try to load it from BtS.

I've downloaded the mod two times now. I did everything in the instructions but everytime i go and try to load the mod its not there :mad:. Any help??

@davidolimpo,

Please give more details. Where did you install the Mod to? (what folder, what directory path?) Do you run your computer as Admin or user? What OS do you have (Vista, XP, Win 7, 32bit or 64 bit)?

Which version did you download and from where?

The more details you can provide the more likely a solution can be found.

JosEPh :)

Im using windows 7 and i run the computer as admin. I downloaded the 1.75 version from sourceforge.net a site i was linked to from a thread containing the main download for the mod. Its being installed to C:\program files (x86)\firaxis games\sid civilization 4\BTS\mods.

Thanks for taking the time to help me!! Greatly appreciated :)

Do you have another version of Rise of Mankind-A New dawn in your BtS\Mods folder? Or even an Older Rise of Mankind version? This sometimes cause a problem with the .ini file and won't load the newer (the one you want) version. Clearing the cache file in My Documents\BtS\... or holding down the "shift" key after you click on Advanced->Load Mod also clears it.

So when you Load BtS and on the Main screen you select Advanced you then bring up the screen to " Load Mod" and from that you see the list of available mods and Rise of Mankind-A New Dawn is listed there? And you then select it and click the Launch button in the lower right corner but then it doesn't load? Initial Load will take a Couple of minutes so if you see just your desktop give it up to 5 minutes if after that you still don't see it then we will need to dig further.

JosEPh

Hello. I realize this is probably a dead issue by now, but my cousin and I have been trying to get this mod to work for quite some time now and I really have no idea how to fix it. First I can play RoM just fine.. haven't had any issues except on at the beginning of the game it shows a bunch of bug reports and states that it had trouble loading .INI file or something to that effect. I will attach a screen shot for reference. I haven't had any trouble playing it so far and am in the Ren. era.
Hopefully you all can see it. Do these errors cause any problems in the game for later? If not, no worries.
Second question: I have installed AND and can only play it on lower sized maps due to RAM issues I am guessing. I first noticed this when trying to play Gigantic map sizes, the application would always crash and give me a C++ Runtime Library Error. After much researching I discovered my problem was my computer couldn't handle it. So my cousin and I attempted to select tiny map size and play. It loaded fine I suppose aside from multiple XML errors that I had to click through. I have looked through a lot of the postings on here and though it says I loaded AND incorrectly, I don't see how that is possible when I followed the directions to the letter. I am running Windows Vista and have RoM 2.92 and BtS 3.19 and AND 1.75 + AND 1.75c patch. I believe RoM 2.92 is installed correctly as stated above. I have Civ IV gold edition (store bought) and I installed RoM into the BtS mod folder as suggested. When I installed AND I placed it in the BtS mod folder as a folder by itself (works for my cousin this way) and then I patched AND with 1.75c and selected the AND mod folder to patch it when prompted by the installer. I also tried installing the patch and selecting the BtS mod folder to see if that would help. Still get the errors. Not sure what to do here, so any suggestions would be appreciated. I would love to get this mod to work. :)

Attachments

• civ iv rise of mankind.JPG
    civ iv rise of mankind.JPG
    156.8 KB · Views: 154
Do you have the correct path to the Civ4.ini file

Windows Vista: "C:/Users/[UserName]/Documents/My Games/Beyond the Sword"

This is from the CvAltRoot file included with the mod.

This path should lead you directly to your CivilizationIV.ini file.

This is what's missing.

Correct this path.

It WON'T lead to your Mods folder, but a MODS folder. (note they are two different folders) Don't worry about that

Note, you only need to change the pink text at bottom (yes, I've tried to change the examples only)

I followed your directions to get to the file you are suggesting is in that location. Once I get to where you have listed there is a CivilizationIV.ini.bak file located there and a CivilizationIV.ini file - so what do I do with them to correct the issue? I am not all that computer savy when it comes to placing files where they need to go. :p My thought would be to put that CivilizationIV.ini file (not the .bak) in my Civ folder somewhere.. just not sure where. Please advise :) ALso, just out of curiosity do you know of any fixes for my other issue stated in the post above?

sorry I only gave half an answer before.

1) Try using the CvAltRoot.py file in your Rise of Mankind - A New Dawn folder of the Mod.

2) Alter the pink text at bottom of file only to reflect the path to your CivilizationIV.ini file.

3) Copy and paste the above mentioned file (CvAltRoot.py) to your .../Assets/Python folder in the Mod.

4) Boot game, hopefully it will remove these python errors.

P.S. "Normal" bugs associated with the various mods are the various mods problems

I've got it in the right folder and everything but it still doesn't work on either of my computers. (One uses 32 bit Vista, the other 64 bit Win7). I've checked everything a million times and I can't find any problems. It just doesn't appear in the list of mods.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom