From Austerlitz to Waterloo

Amazing mod, absolutely love the 1805 scenerio. Both this mod & Napoleon Europe on Warlords are the best Napoleonic Wars era orientated mods Civ4 has to offer. Kudos!

Is it possible to change the game speed though from Epic to Normal?

Thank You! :)

Not really, there's only the "Epic" speed which is left and the "Epic" speed is actually a new speed adapted to the Monthly calendar, I just retained the word "Epic" because I like it!...

What would be the added value to have different gamespeeds if you're bound to a Monthly calendar?

For changing the gamespeed, you would have to suppress the line "ForceControl=FORCECONTROL_SPEED" in the scenario and suppress the CIV4GameSpeedInfo and CIV4CultureLevelInfo files in the GameInfo folder. This would induce undesired consequences on the development of the game. Up to you!...

De rien! x)

Oh, I see! Well, I was hoping to re-build the French Navy ASAP as a way of countering RN Ships of the Line bombing the Normandy coast - but now I figured I'd just re-establish the cannons that were on the coast, return fire and use my Frigates to finish them off & now I actually don't mind the "Epic" speed. :D

Hm, I thought as much there might undesired consequences if I changed it. I'll just leave it be then, thanks anyway though!

I tried this MOD and I like it a lot! :bowdown:

But how does Winter work? My brave French Guard keep dying at an alarming rate! :yuck:

Thank you! :)

The winter effect is only for the 1812 Russia scenario. It inflicts damages to all units from the beginning of October till the end of March (with the message "Winter strikes...").

It inflicts 8 damage points per turn on units without appropriate promotions, 4 to the ones with the "Morale" promotion and 2 only to the one with the "Ice" promotion. This "Ice" promotion is granted for free to every Russian unit via the "Russia" Trait.

I'm so sorry for your brave French Guards!... :snowgrin:

Thanks for the input! It helped. :goodjob:

Also I hadn't noticed the swap effect... so swamp+winter = sure death!

But what about the workers? Do they die at random? It's hard to say because no HP are visible, but I had some immobile workers dying in my hands :)rolleyes:)...

Every land unit including Workers suffer from the cold.

I know, it's a problem with the health bar not showing. To show the health bar, I should invent a new UNITCOMBAT type (IIRC) but then they don't behave like workers all the time (they don't "sense" enemy presence any more). At least, that's what I remember from an experiment I made a long time ago...

I suppose you mean workers you have immobilised yourself. Well, it's not enough to restore their health, they should hibernate in cities in winter... :sleep:

I suppose you mean workers you have immobilised yourself. Well, it's not enough to restore their health, they should hibernate in cities in winter... :sleep:
Ah, I get it! You changed the (standardt Bts) health recovery (10%)... and that is why they die! It is because they recovery rate is lower than 8 base points (except in cities).

I thought that the recovery was 10%, so that is why I was baffled with immobile workers (immobile = doing no action during the turn) were still dying…

Right: Heal Rate in Enemy, Neutral, Friendly and City is here 3 - 6 - 9 - 12 instead of 5 - 10 - 15 - 20. :mwaha:

I have a question for you: I am playing a PBEM with the GREAT Russian scenario. I am Russia and I've decided to Change Civics (to Democracy) and start rush-buying units.

My opponent says that it makes no sense and we should not be allowed to change the initial Civics.

What is your view? Did you consider this possibilty when making this scenario? Do you think that should be allowed? Or would you think that there should be a houserules against it?

The thing is that not only it is possible to change to Democracy (the Civic is available), as well as both nations start with a LOT of money... so I thought that this was a possibility that you had considered, giving more units to the French but making the Russian to have an advantage in the long run.

I honestly didn't think of that. I never rush units with money, don't care much about civics. Actually, I'm a lousy player: I don't seek efficiency, only strategy and fun! :D

The big treasury was to prevent the AI from disbanding their units.

I don't quite understand the 'no change of civics' house rule in many PBEM games. Everybody is on the same level anyway. This said, it might be inappropriate in this case as the level of military power is calculated to reflect the historical invasion of Russia by Napoleonic army.

If you haven't started yet, you could reduce the amount of money significantly.

It's a long time I haven't played this scenario but as a single player, I won with both the French and the Russians. I'm curious to see the result in a PBEM game! ;)

If you haven't started yet, you could reduce the amount of money significantly.
We have already started and are currently playing May 1813. In a nutshell:

- 3 russian cities (Kaunas, Vilnius and Minsk) have already fallen into Frenchie hands, but the Russians have re-taken one of them (that was lightly defended).

- There was only ONE big battle (May 1813). The French units advanced with 500 units (in ONE tile!) and came out victorious, killing around 170 Russian units and only losing around 60 units. The Russians were able to sucessfully retreat with their remaning forces.

- The Russians have currentlly less 100 units than the French.

Let me ask you something:
- If the silly AI did not disband units, how much money would you give each nation?

It's a long time I haven't played this scenario but as a single player, I won with both the French and the Russians. I'm curious to see the result in a PBEM game! ;)
The thing is that the AI is worst than a ‘bad’ human player… I did not play with the Russian in SP, but I’m pretty sure that I would win against the AI. The difficulty of the Ruskies in this scenaio (in a PBEM game) is that they are outnumberd and their forces start spreaded around (while the French start reasonably concentrated) so it is real hard to stop the French, specially if it does not move out of cities during winter time.

I do not know if you are still making changes in the scenario, but here are some simple suggestions for this scenario:

- Introduce research in the game. I think that it could add extra fun. It does not have to be anything complicated, it could be cheap technologies that would allow some benefits. Example: techs to unleash the more complicated promotions (morale, commando, etc), techs that could lead to slighty stronger units (Cossack II) or some units (Russian Guards, Galleons), techs that would allow roads having 3 movment points, techs that would allow crossing rivers without movement penalty, etc, etc

- Introduce a (limited) city production ability in the game. It should be a low production (not to unbalance the game) but I think that if the Russian could build some units it would force the French to ‘hasten’ their advance. Or maybe the Russians could build buildings that would give them extra defense (gunpower resistant) in the cities

- The fact that some Russian cities are starving from the start of the game is on purpose? If not I would propose to rectify that.

Let me ask you something:
- If the silly AI did not disband units, how much money would you give each nation?
Actually, after the first launch of the scenario, I made changes in the dll that really prevent the AI to disband units. But I have to think of Mac users who are advised to delete the custom dll. So I have to keep the crazy treasury (and possibly review the Civic by eliminating the Gold Rush production). Otherwise, there are two options: make it even, so let's say 1812 Gold for both! OR represent the additional economical force of France vs. Russia, so let's say 3,000 Gold for France and 500 for Russia.
I do not know if you are still making changes in the scenario, but here are some simple suggestions for this scenario:
I don't know myself...:rolleyes:
- Introduce research in the game. I think that it could add extra fun. It does not have to be anything complicated, it could be cheap technologies that would allow some benefits. Example: techs to unleash the more complicated promotions (morale, commando, etc), techs that could lead to slighty stronger units (Cossack II) or some units (Russian Guards, Galleons), techs that would allow roads having 3 movment points, techs that would allow crossing rivers without movement penalty, etc, etc
:
Not interested - time period is too short to have significant advances in war. Crossing rivers without movement penalty - how would you ever justify that?! Besides, I'm totally against additional movement points.
- Introduce a (limited) city production ability in the game. It should be a low production (not to unbalance the game) but I think that if the Russian could build some units it would force the French to ‘hasten’ their advance. Or maybe the Russians could build buildings that would give them extra defense (gunpower resistant) in the cities
:
But they can produce units. Slowly, but they can. I'm also against any additional buildings.
- The fact that some Russian cities are starving from the start of the game is on purpose? If not I would propose to rectify that.
:
It is on purpose. Perhaps I made it too harsh. I probably never reviewed the culture level as I did for the 1805 scenario. But you do know that Russia practised very harsh scorched-earth tactics, burning villages, towns and crops to deny the invaders the option of living off the land.

Thanks for the input.

Here is a summary of the main events of a Russia 1812 campaign multiplayer game:

July: Kaunas is conquered by the French

Sept: Kaunas is liberated by the Russians

Oct: Vilnius is conquered by the French

Nov: Vilnius is liberated by the Russians

Nov: after 4 months of internal turmoil, the Russians implement a complicated political system: Universal Sufrage to keep the commoners happy, Slavery to keep the Noblemen happy and Theocracy to keep the Clergy happy

March: Vilnius is conquered by the French

April: Vilnius is liberated by the Russians

May: Minsk is conquered by the Frenc

Vilnius is conquered by the French
Jealous of the Russian political system, the French try to implement Universal Sufrage, while trying to mantain the Caste System​

May: BATTLE OF MINSK. French Cavalary charges and disrupts the Russian infantary and starts destroying Russian cannons.. the Russian salvage what they can and make a hasty retreat. The Russians lost 100 units and the French around 65 units.

June: Minsk is liberated by the Russians
Vilnius is liberated by the Russians
July: after the glorious victory by Napoleon on the Minsk fields, L'Grand Armeé demands that Napoleon and his soons be named rulers of Great France without the use of Universal Sufrage

Aug: the Russian Golden Age begins and the Russians continue to develop new original political ideas, trying to conciliate the ideal of Universal Suffrage with the Feudal system of Vassalage and the use of Serf's

Nov: Smolensk is conquered by the French

The Russians start the siege of Varsaw (that will last for 10 months)

Dec: Smolensk is liberated by the Russians

Dec: BATTLE OF MOGILEV. While the cold French soldiers are preparing Christmas, the Russian Cavalary charges... The French lose around 150 units and the Russians 10.

July: Moscow is conquered by the French

Sept: Varsaw is conquered by the Russians

FINAL: Russian victory!

Last edited:
Top Bottom