Frozen Super-Earth Orbiting Barnard's Star.

Zkribbler

Deity
I read this story earlier today. Very cool. Apparently they are only 99.2% sure it is there. Talk about shoddy number-crunching...

https://edition.cnn.com/2018/11/14/world/super-earth-discovery-barnards-star/index.html

6 light years away, 3 times the size of Earth, slightly colder than Saturn, same orbital distance as Mercury, 233-day year. (No mention of surface gravity or of the planet's name.)

:beer: Here's hoping this discovery will change the focus of science fiction. Compared to this planet, the ice-planet Hoth is a tropical paradise.
I read this story earlier today. Very cool. Apparently they are only 99.2% sure it is there. Talk about shoddy number-crunching...
Maybe a possible future solution to the water crisis (especially as it will be by the time we can travel 6 light years), but likely not a feasible "new home of settlement for humanity."

Maybe a possible future solution to the water crisis (especially as it will be by the time we can travel 6 light years), but likely not a feasible "new home of settlement for humanity."
If we haven't figured out a solution to our water scarcity issues by the time we can travel 6 light years, we have bigger problems, to be honest. There are huge amounts of water in our system - Saturn's rings are largely ice - which we will no doubt set about mining when we go out there to colonise.

Water crisis?

We can solve that already, it's called desalination plants. They're only expensive because of the energy required. But its an infinitesimal fraction compared to bringing it from 6 light years away. I can't fathom how anyone would think space travel would solve a water crisis.

saw this as ı was moving my clumsy fingers down to like some computer section to curse my bloody newly acquired tablet . And as a Starfleet Admiral , which is a long story in itself ...

"can't fathom who"

apparently this British singer who died a few years ago . His name escapes me now , but that movie was apparently summarized by a newspaper back in the 70s or 80s and this barbershop had all the page placed under glass to be hung on the wall . The guy is the prince of his little planet and comes earth to find water , dies tragically , you can follow the entire story with words and movie stills . Pretty sure as ı am writing today that the barber would immediately point to it if anyone questioned him saving water while cleaning after a shave !

Last edited:
Top Bottom