G-Major CXXXI

aafritz17

Escaping
Hall of Fame Staff
GOTM Staff
Supporter

While the general Hall of Fame is an ongoing competition, we like to run time-definite competitions between updates that we call Gauntlets. Standard Hall of Fame rules (*) still apply, but any games meeting the settings will be counted towards the Gauntlet.
(*) Please read the >> HOF rules << BEFORE playing!

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Boreal
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Netherlands (William)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st to 28th February 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

@Blake00 @The_J

Thanks at least for making this a small map :) .

Boreal is a tough map for growth and conquest, and the King level is easily my least favorite as the AI civs are tough enough to mess with your plans and put up a good military fight, but not prosperous enough to be exploited. All this makes it difficult for Diplomacy victories, especially. A worthy Major challenge!

I haven't played on boreal map so took quite a few games to get used to and a lot of unpleasant words with barbs, although I very much enjoyed the difficulty of this one.
I managed to find a really nice plains river along a mountain range that could fit 3 decent cities and a surprisingly decent capital that could knock out wonders pretty quickly.

Attachments

• HOF diploWilliam_0297 AD-1854.Civ5Save
    1,014.1 KB · Views: 12
Very nice game!

Boreal maps tend to have nice little pockets of good land in the midst of all the ice and snow.
They are not great if conquest is part of your plan because the map is vast and domains are far apart!

Boreal maps tend to have nice little pockets of good land in the midst of all the ice and snow.
They are not great if conquest is part of your plan because the map is vast and domains are far apart!
I actually made a mistake here, Boreal was not what I my memory said it was. I thought it had water (like, say, Continents), and also I not remember that it was basically tundra. The result was that we didn't get to use two of Wee Willy's three uniques. But the "little pockets of good land" do make it seem like Boreal would be good for somebody other than Willy.

The following are the results of G-Major CXXXI. The settings are at the bottom of the page:

RankPlayerDateTurnScore
1fiddlesticks1510 AD2124030

Settings:
  • Expansion: Brave New World
  • Victory Condition: Diplomacy (though all victory conditions must be enabled)
  • Difficulty: King
  • Map Size: Small
  • Map Type: Boreal
  • Speed: Standard
  • Leader: Netherlands (William)
  • Opponents: Any
  • Version: SV8
  • Date: 1st February to 1st May 2023
The earliest finish date wins, with score as a tiebreaker.

Top Bottom