G-Major LII

I am Ok on diplo, science and culture and I suck at domination, especially in deity. This is the way I do it in deity level.
Diplo: avoid Alex, Maria Theresa and Enrico. Avoid Mongolia (although there are opportunities to liberate with Mongolia, which is great, he may be on the other side of the continent and you want as many CSs in play as you can). The rest, culture focused and peaceful civs like Haille, Sejong, Gandhi, Asurbanipal, Napoleon. Never pick Shaka.:D
Culture: avoid Napoleon and warmongers they usually ICS. I like strong science AIs like Korea or Babylon. Never pick Shaka.
Domination: no clue and I have never neaten deity on domination.

There are a lot of intermediate AIs that are safe for most victory conditions like Morocco or Harun Al Rashid (he is always rich, if you can be friends with him, he is a fountain of money and resources) or Denmark. Catherine is Ok in most cases and so is England but not in maps full of seas. Darius is generally OK, even Askia will sometimes refrain from trying to kill you. Maria and Isabella are OK, unless Isabella finds a wonder.

My 2 cents, but I am not one of the top players. Acken, Cromagnus, Glory7, Thorak are the guys to pay attention to.
EDIT: forgot about Casimir. i never pick Casimir, he can run away in almost any Victory condition. Almost as bad as Shaka. There is also the Shosone guy, I can't remember his name, hate him too.

T251 win. I've been practicing my science game a bit lately so I decided to try this out today. Overall it went well for me. Definitely could have done it faster but I learned a few things. Barely missed my goal of T250.

Game notes-

The map was nice. Very safe. I couldn't have asked for a more defensible position with a better civ layout. If anyone wants to play a peaceful Deity game, this is the map for it. Atilla was just far enough away from me not to be a threat, but close enough so everyone else nearby befriended me fighting him. By the end of the game 10/12 civs were willing to give me DOFs. Venice also spawned semi-close so that left a lot of open space for expansion. The bad is I only had one mountain city and it was my 5th city with pretty weak science (didn't even spawn a GS). I also only had 2/7 cities on rivers and no other fresh water for gardens, which cost me GS spawns in my late cities. It seems like in non-Babylon science games your 5th+ cities really need to prioritize fresh water to guarantee a GS.

I screwed up micro at the start a bit. I forgot to switch from prebuilding granary to settler after capital grew. This added up to about a 6 or 7 turn delay on the first settler, and then I also had a useless granary sitting there while I built my second settler. This was probably my biggest mistake of the early game. Another one was not building enough archers. One archer wasn't enough to stop Barbs from pillaging my capital. I could/should have easily built more. I also could have used 1 or 2 more workers. I only managed to steal 1, and it was late. All of this added up to a fairly slow start. I didn't hit education til just after T120 (and that was a stolen tech, otherwise it would have been T130).

Missed a religion by a hair. Had 230 faith when the final one was founded. This turned out okay though, because someone was kind enough to spread Jesuit Education into my lands. I bought a few science buildings, 1 GE and 1 GS with faith.

I went full tradition, full rationalism and 6 order. No other policies. Barely squeaked my last point into Rationalism on T248 for the GS/GE to win the game. Policies were a huge issue throughout. I didn't get Oracle, Kremlin (surprisingly, 2 turns...) or any free policies from choosing an ideology. Luckily I won world fair after the first vote, but that wasn't enough. I had to delay Apollo and Hubble to make sure that I won International Games, otherwise I would have been far short of my T3 order policy endgame.

Policy timing in general is an area I can improve a lot in, although this game I did go from Tradition > Rationalism in one shot which was really nice. I made a mistake in taking +gold from science buildings and +50% science from research agreements before +25% GS generation in the rationalism tree, which didn't come until much later. If I had taken the GS policy first it would have given me 2, possibly 3 more GS as only 4/7 of my cities spawned them naturally, and two were really close.

Only built three wonders- Porcelain Tower and a late Hubble + Cristo Redentor.

I couldn't Oxford into Radio because my 7th city didn't have a university built yet, so I used Oxford on my last tech (Particle Physics). Settling a 7th city was generally a mistake. What happened is Netherlands beat me to the site where I originally planned to settle by 1 turn, and then I had to move to a much weaker location. In hindsight I should have just deleted the settler, but that is easier said than done.

Went Order mostly to preserve my friendships. Freedom certainly would have been more efficient in a vacuum. I actually had the same opportunity as n0m0m to open freedom and then change Ideologies if I needed to after building SoL, which possibly could have led to a faster finish. In the end I decided to play it safe because I didn't have a GE handy to rush the wonder and I wasn't too keen on playing another game if things went wrong.

This game was completely peaceful for me until the last turn, at which point I had to declare war on William to get his units off my railroads to move an SS part through. I only influenced one war, bribing Atilla to attack Washington around T100 or so. Atilla denounced me at some point but everyone hated him so it didn't matter.

India was surprisingly good, enjoyed playing them a lot. I didn't have happiness issues at any point during the game, and I never built Circus Maximus or Colosseums in half my cities. I think India could be really strong on lower difficulties. You could get away with something like an 8 city opener given the space to expand. I'll mess around with it later.

Final turn screenshot in spoiler below:

Spoiler :

I made a try for it and got a T245 win out of it. Felt slow but I'm not sure what to expect out of huge-deity.

I never had played huge deity I think. Game is significantly "harder" since you basically can't grab any wonder and AI performs a lot better since it can make a lot of good cities (losing WF was a distinct possibility). Felt it also harder to keep my CS allies.

Also I was surprised by how spread the ressources were ! I felt like I had so little gold compared to my usual standard games and getting new luxuries required to settle very far. Or maybe my map just sucked I don't know.

I also think 5 cities may be too litlle but if at least I had more gold I could have been tempted to make more. I think I truly missed Tithe this game (couldn't get a religion). India helps though to play these huge games I think so there is a lot of room for improvement and get better timers. Sadly the fact that absolutely no wonder was possible before BigBen and the time end turns took I don't think I'll try playing Huge maps again since I didn't really enjoy it in the end.

Oracle is possible (3 out of 4 games) and after that, SoL if you go freedom, are first, and you are doing OK on tech.

I just quit my last try, I was doing well t130, 150bpt with 6 cities, 8 salt with 6 already being worked, 4 other unique luxuries, some space to plant a potential 7 and even 8th city if necessary, 5 observatories being built to get to 250bpt by t145, no religion but with my cities already converted to another that was OK. On track for t250 win more or less. Then I realized I had put Maria twice as an opponent AI.:(
Seriously I need to pay more attention. Second time this has happened in this gauntlet. I think this is it, I'll start another game but doubt I will finish on time for a last try.

After, had played a lot on low level, I forgot how to play on Deity. I hope, Ican finish my only one attempt.

Low hammers, Rome and Spain neighbors don't help. Despite this, I'm glad to see India's UAeffect. Ican manage a 4 cities game with only 3 luxs. My game would be easier, if I forwarded settle Isabella for some citrus. It will be not a competitive game, I think about a T300 victory.

Tried this one as well but i lost on turn 283 against germany by science(imagine that lol)
I suppose i should of pick opponents manually.Still what is interesting,i made pretty good early game,discovered radio by turn 1090 ad which was better them most of my maya games which is science race.But mid game and end game not so good,had only 3 cities,terrain not ideal,also was only civ with freedom,tho atleast i had religion but not sure does that help anything.

Top Bottom