G-Minor XIV

BTW, do you choose your opponent civs every time you reroll? I find that quite time consuming.
If so, what civs do you take???

BTW, do you choose your opponent civs every time you reroll? I find that quite time consuming.
If so, what civs do you take???

Not for this Gauntlet. It cost me a warrior though :) Ramses was able to complete his chariot when I was attacking his capital. I don't think there is much difference aside from usual luck - the capital being on a hill or building an early wall etc.

absolutely.

i choose opponents with a high expansion flavor. they focus on building settlers more than units, and when you capture their capital you can still get a peace deal and not totally ruin other relations.

i think only one opponent on your starting island is required, although two would be better.

i think i've figured out the optimal strategy at this point, now it's just a matter of rolling the right map and executing it, though i've probably got gold already.

Choosing opponents with high expansion flavor is good policy on all difficulties below Deity for all win conditions. Opponents that expand will acquire and work luxury tiles, producing additional income which you can then use to fund the RA machine, upgrade or purchase units outright.

On Deity all civs will expand rapidly enough to produce a decent income by the midgame, and as a result you simply want to select the civs most likely to leave you alone. Expansionist civs will eventually settle right on your borders and then start to hate you with a passion, so they're much less desirable neighbors on Deity.

I suggest the following: Go sailing/optics and build/buy lots of triremes and warriors as fast as possible. Then iron working and then the lux techs. ... If you have a good location for a second city, perhaps build a settler, but this is not necessary.

If you don't found a 2nd city then it is very easy to become supply locked. I find even with two cities that I become supply locked early (until I can start conquering). Do you just ignore low supply limit violations?

Personally I like only one city, but I am sure some people will prefer more cities. I like the honor policies, so I don't get the liberty settler, and I don't want to use time to build one, as I want to build warriors to conquer the first capital fast. If you conquer the first capitals fast, you shouldn't get too much problems with supplies. In my game I had some problems, but not that much, and I just ignored them. But I didn't have a good location for a second city either. If I had seen a very good location, I would have considered building a settler.

i think liberty is better than honor, especially if you have a strong second city location (preferably on top of an oceanside mining luxury).

i generally started with infrastructure like monument then granary. i built a few archers to pick up ruins to get crossbowmen, then eventually i'd build GL before 5th policy to get to medieval era, and use a cultural ally or two to get to the +1 naval movement as 6th policy.

my best game had two opponents on my starting landmass, and i got an immortal via upgrade. there was no decent second city loc for me on the island so i took worker as second policy.

How many hours remain to give it a final try?

Edit: seeing that it is the 16th on this forum, I guess that means 0. Feel free to delete.

Question to top 3 guys(congrats!) :

How much civs did you have on your own island? In the 25 approx. reloads, i encountered only 1 civ and only once. I tought it was impossible to have more than 1.

I thought my map was pretty good and i had no other civs in my start. i was looking for at least one, but it started well so i continued. I made a lot of mistakes especially near the end. I think I could have easily finished in low 150s with better planning. And I should have also been able to do less than 140 if i had gotten iron earlier than I did. I didnt get iron until I conquered Cumae, which was required because the CS didnt give me iron until later than that (even though they had mines on their iron). If not for that then that army moves to Washington much sooner.

Did people tend to use more than 2 armies? In this game I only used 2 armies.

I knew I wasn't going to really compete, but I thought i'd see how i would do. Congrats all. :)

preferably my armies consisted of a crossbow, a warrior or two, and a few tiremes. i'd like to get three of those sets up.

Hi, my first post here. I like these gauntlets, so I'll probably stay around for some time:)

Tabarnak: I was alone on my island, but I quickly found two npcs on islands close to me.

I actually started a game where I shared an island with 3 other civs, unfortunately other things didn't work out. But I don't think the benefit from having 3 other civs instead of 2 necessarily is that high, you'll probably be sailing anyway by the time all of them are conquered.

I wasn't enough aggressive i think. I slow played in the beginning with a GL and NC start with 3 cities before doing something. My start wasn't suited for a fast domination victory, i had 3 cities, 2 cs and FoY but still alone. Pretty insane for non domination games.

I tried most of the time with low sea level but didn't have luck with nighbors. I stickied with med. starts at the end when i got this.

Top Bottom