GA6 - Always War Monarch

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
Calling all always war newcomers! This is an always war succession game designed to improve our (me included) always war skills. I’ve won once an AWM as the Romans. With regular Conquests getting less interesting, I need variants to keep it interesting – so we’ll try AW. The settings are below. Anyone is free to join, always war adds around 2 difficulty levels, so anybody who plays around Emperor or up are welcome! All I ask is that you also include a kill count at the end of your turnlog (something like 27 killed – 3 lost) so we can keep track and make some pretty graphs. :)

Settings:
Civilization: TBD. Someone Militaristic.
World Size: Standard
Landform: 60% Pangea
Climate/Temperature/Age: 5 billion, wet, warm.
Barbarians: None, we’ll have enough units to be up against.
And of course, level: Monarch

Variant:
Arathorn’s Comprehensive Guide to Variants said:
Always War (AW): When you meet an opponent (as soon as they appear on the F2/F4/Shift-D diplomacy screen, you’ve met them), you must declare war on them – THAT turn. You can make initial deals for hard goods only (no gpt deals, no alliances, no resource/luxury trades, [no 20 turn deals]). Signing peace for even a single turn is prohibited.
Arathorn’s comments: Adds about 1.5-2 difficulty levels. Games usually take significantly longer. Once you’re past the “Can I hold my front?” stage and making progress forward, it’s usually won. Approximately doubles the time required to play.

Additional Rules:
Keep a kill count for each turnset you play.
Do NOT use a utility like MapStat or CivAssist to see what techs / resources the AI has.
Do NOT open the diplomacy screen with the AI to see what techs / resources they have.
24 hours to post a ‘got it’, 48 hours from the posted save time to play.

Spoiler LKendter's House Rules :

The following tactics are PROHIBITED:

RoP Abuse Tactics - Denying resources, blocking key tiles, RoP rape, or other ways to screw-up a civ via the RoP. A scout in AI territory has an explicit RoP and is subject to this rule.

Peace Treaty abuse - If you get concessions from the AI you must wait for the 20 turns to end before declaring another war.

Resource abuse - You can't disconnect / reconnect a resource every turn for the sake of building cheap units to upgrade with excess cash.

Ship chaining exploit - you can move a ship, unload troops to another ship in the same square not using any movement, move that ship, etc. This allows you to ship an indefinite distance, and that is why I consider it an exploit.

The negative science exploit - you can run a huge deficit (-250 / turn) of negative cash with a token penalty of one lost worker / cheap building. If cash will go below zero, the research level must be dropped.

Palace Jump - You abandon the capital city to move the palace to a new location. If you want to move the palace, build a new palace.

Mass troop jumping - You can't give away a give a city to transport a large amount of troops to another landmass.

Worker baiting - You can't spread around and sacrifice workers to an oncoming attack. This is often done to avoid losing real units or cities. This takes advantage of the AI failure to prioritize targets.

Standard LK house rules:
1) Worker automation of any kind is prohibited.

2) Worker blockades are prohibited. This prevents things such as fortifying workers along the coast to stop invasions, blocking troops from going through your territory with workers, etc. Workers activity doing something along the coast is fine. The workers must be actively doing something.

3) You may not declare war on a civ if you are currently shipping cash and / or goods to the civ.

4) Even if not covered under exploits listed, please try not to use tactics that take advantage of holes in the game design.

5) Our reputation is golden - please respect it.

6) Self-research is highly preferred, if it is viable. I would rather invest money in beakers to toward science, then waste it on demands. Minimum research is discouraged unless we have no viable alternatives. This may happen at times such as going for republic early on, or late game to insure we get nationalism.

7) As you probably know barbs are screwed up in C3C. It is preferred that you add the following line to your Civ3 .ini file - noAIpatrol=0. Adding "noAIpatrol=0" to the .ini file turns the annoying patrolling back on for the AIs, but also restores movement to the barbarians.

Spoiler Handy's Rules for Always War :

You may only trade when you first meet a civilization, and must declare war on the same turn after trading is complete. If you see a new AI unit, you must make contact & declare war that turn. Absolutely no GPT trades allowed. If you see a new face on F4, you are obligated to declare war that turn (after trading). Players must declare war if they are exploring and see AI units, but are not required to actually attack the units they come in contact with. No peace treaties, ever.

Discuss any move that seems exploitive before doing it with the team. Although there are not too many exploits available in AW, we’ll follow the forbidden blatant exploits banned by GOTM and RBCiv such as no "Free Wealth". Other normal game exploits such as "Baiting the AI" with an empty city to create a kill zone are an AW tradition and are allowed. Also, you ARE allowed to initially keep a city, move a settler to the same spot as the city, and then abandon and immediately resettle. This is considered an exploit in RBCiv rules, but is okay in our AW games. In addition if you need to build a city one square deeper into enemy territory just to move borders to steal a resource, go for it. We may keep or raze cities, and can keep slaves. You may whip at will, including captured cities or cities where all citizens are unhappy.

Rule of thumb: Keep advancing forward, as long as you can hold the cities we take. Our goal is to never lose a city, so always make sure you have enough troops around to defend founded or conquered cities that are in danger.

Roster:
Ginger_Ale
Tomoyo
MeteorPunch
Tatran
leha
SephirothXIII

I'll join if you'll take me.

I assume you're gonna be allowing first turn trades?

I've never played AW. sign me up!

I think China is the best for this varient, followed closely by Japan. Seafaring is pointless because you don't necessarily want to meet people. Ancient UU's (Rome,Zulu,Aztec) might trigger a 1-3 city golden age. Big waste. Expansionist is much like seafaring, terrible for AW.

I think I might be leaning towards Germany with SCI will help us self research and Panzers could clean up if we survive and haven't won by then.

You both are in, I've both seen you play SGs.

Tomoyo: Yes, in Arathorn's variant description:

You can make initial deals for hard goods only (no gpt deals, no alliances, no resource/luxury trades, [no 20 turn deals]). Signing peace for even a single turn is prohibited.

Just no 20 turn deals.

MeteorPunch: China or Japan would be fine, mine goes to China. Mongols could be interesting as well, but Expansionist isn't too useful...

Votes:
China - 1
Need your final votes Tomoyo and MP.

2 more open slots left.

cool, I'm in :cool: .

My vote: Germany, China, Japan.

but between these three, it really doesn't matter, so any.

China has long been the "best" AW civ, especially in vanilla...

The Aztecs have nice traits, but I don't really want the Jaguar Warrior. Germany can build Archers and Spears from the beginning...

I vote Japan, because I've played a semi-AWM with MP with China.

If you want me I'll gladly join the team.
Never played AW.Most victories are diplomatic.

China,Japan or Germany.
Germany starts with an attack and defend unit.
Science bonus.GA will be problematic.

Japan,short anarchy,knows the Wheel,well-timed GA,

China,the rider,also well-timed GA.

lurker's comment: I'd like to join, but don't have enough time for AW right now. I guess I'll just lurk for now.
Good luck, and give the AI hell! :ar15:

I've never played AW. My level of play - emperor. Can I join?
(I suppose it's C3C 1.22?)

I would like to join if you still need somebody. I have only played one sg so far (not here though) but I already played a few AW on monarch on small to standard maps. I just recently started to play on Emperor.

Seph

Both Tatran, leha and SephirothXIII are in, and that finishes up the roster - welcome to you all! I'm not too strict on the difficulty level requirements to join.

Any choices for the civilization leha, Tatran and Seph? So far:
China - 3
Japan - 2
Germany - 2

Hopefully we can get this started tonight. :)

I think China is a best choice (any time I played China they were good for warmongering, but then again I never played AW)

Top Bottom