GAK Tech Tree

It's possible to get to the Modern Age without researching Steam Power - this really should be fixed.

The logic of progression at the Industrial/Modern border really suffers from both eras only being two level wide. I can see the logic behind the progression of Industrialization-> Steam Power -> Railroad, but having Railroad as a Modern era tech on the same level as Flight is just silly. It would probably be better to merge Steam Power and Railroad.

What I meant was does the scout upgrade to another unit in a later era? But I guess not.

It's possible to get to the Modern Age without researching Steam Power - this really should be fixed.

why?

There's no one technology that 'must' be had before 'everything else' has been teched.

China lacked (real life) a 'core' Scientific Theory approach for a long time, but still managed to find their way into discoveries and improvements.

Steam Power is only one possible path that lead to modern developments. There were others (iRL) that were just as good and completely independent of steam power.

edit:

and gameplay wise, it just forces a bottleneck for no reason. If you look, that part of the tech tree was purposely rebuilt to remove that issue.

@Mad

That's true. If those technologies weren't inherently dependent on the discovery of steam power.

For example: The automobile is not dependent on the internal combustion engine. It could be propelled through an electric motor or even air pressure. But every automobile needs wheels, unless they levitate.

Now I'm assuming those technologies in the Modern Age aren't dependent on steam power.

You could always upgrade Modern Armors into GDR, as far as I remember in Vanilla that was/is possible. Probably because GDR is in fact a Mounted/Tank unit.

You could always upgrade Modern Armors into GDR, as far as I remember in Vanilla that was/is possible. Probably because GDR is in fact a Mounted/Tank unit.

Nope, notpossible.

GDRs in Vanilla were an entirely separate "joke" unit tacked very late into the game.

Basically with GnK, apparently the future of Armored Warfare is GIANT DEATH ROBOTS. If you want to squibble semantics on steam power being relevant or not to modernization, ya'll should squibble the heck out of that first I feel.

Nope, notpossible.

GDRs in Vanilla were an entirely separate "joke" unit tacked very late into the game.

Basically with GnK, apparently the future of Armored Warfare is GIANT DEATH ROBOTS. If you want to squibble semantics on steam power being relevant or not to modernization, ya'll should squibble the heck out of that first I feel.

:| I wasn't talking about real life you know, this is a game after all...

GDR is a mount/tank class unit, therefore the final unit on that upgrade path

Horseman > Knight > Cavalry > Landship* > Tank > Modern Armor > GDR.

So yes, I am in fact rigth, Modern Armor upgraded into GDR in the GAME. :rolleyes:

Unless Uraninum deposits were greatly increased in G&K, only a limited number of Modern Armor will be upgraded to GDR anyway.

Also, I don't have G&K yet, but in vanilla it was very rare for me to even get the tech allowing GDR as its well off the spaceship victory path.

Unless Uraninum deposits were greatly increased in G&K, only a limited number of Modern Armor will be upgraded to GDR anyway.

Also, I don't have G&K yet, but in vanilla it was very rare for me to even get the tech allowing GDR as its well off the spaceship victory path.

In G&K you need almost the entire tech tree to build a spaceship, so they're not very far off.

In G&K you need almost the entire tech tree to build a spaceship, so they're not very far off.

In that case, it appears that Cultural victories might be much faster in G&K than science, particularly if Religion is used to increase culture.

(In a typical cultural victory for me under vanilla I didn't even enter the modern era before completing the five trees.)

In that case, it appears that Cultural victories might be much faster in G&K than science, particularly if Religion is used to increase culture.

(In a typical cultural victory for me under vanilla I didn't even enter the modern era before completing the five trees.)

Much easier in G&K. You go to Archeology for Museums and the Louvre and then you only need (assuming you have Machinery and Metal Casting for Crossbows and Ironworks) Physics->Printing Press->Economics->Scientific Theory->Electricity-> Radio for Broadcast Towers, and one tech detour to Industrialization give you access to Factories and Gatling Guns.

You can use Faith to buy Great Artists, which means that after you complete Freedom, you're pretty much in a permanent Golden Age, which gives you 20% extra Culture over everything (including CS culture etc)

From an aesthetic point of view, I would like to see 10 techs in each era. :)

The atomic age currently has only 8. The addition of, for instance, Probability Theory and Meteorology would enrich that period.

The information age has 11. I don't much like 'advanced anything'. Advanced Ballistics and Mobile Tactics could be replaced with Risk Analysis, which fits nicely into the information theme.

The only other age with 11 techs is the Ancient Age, while the Classical Era has 9. I think that Trapping can be moved to where Archery is now, and allow both camps and Archers. The Classical Era could have the addition of, say, Ploughshares or another agricultural advance.

From an aesthetic point of view, I would like to see 10 techs in each era. :)

The atomic age currently has only 8. The addition of, for instance, Probability Theory and Meteorology would enrich that period.

The information age has 11. I don't much like 'advanced anything'. Advanced Ballistics and Mobile Tactics could be replaced with Risk Analysis, which fits nicely into the information theme.

The only other age with 11 techs is the Ancient Age, while the Classical Era has 9. I think that Trapping can be moved to where Archery is now, and allow both camps and Archers. The Classical Era could have the addition of, say, Ploughshares or another agricultural advance.

I don't think Agriculture and Future Tech should be considered "proper" techs.

Agricultur eis always researched, while Future Tech is just there so something is being researched when you fniish off the other techs.

Top Bottom