Game Crashes When Trying to Load Game in Vista

sakesniper

Chieftain
For some reason when I try to load a save game in vista from in game (as in I can load from the main menu but I can't load once I'm actually playing) Civ 4 BTS crashes to desktop with the following error:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: APPCRASH
Application Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Application Version: 3.0.0.1
Application Timestamp: 562b029a
Fault Module Name: CvGameCoreDLL.dll
Fault Module Version: 3.1.3.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 46f404e1
Exception Code: c0000005
Exception Offset: 0017a973
OS Version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: eb4b
Additional Information 2: f0ba61663ed0456e746fa8052330fe73
Additional Information 3: b020
Additional Information 4: 258a2b3708dc4dd6b561cec16418e42f

This doesn't happen if I copy and load the save games from another computer.

What's going on? Attached below is an example save I'm having a problem with.

Attachments

• AutoSave_AD-1965-January.CivBeyondSwordSave
    891.7 KB · Views: 91
I have the same thing.

I start BTS 3.13 (Vista) and load a saved game; no problem.

When I'm in the game, I can't load a saved game.
I get the Message Bad Mmemory Aallocation.

Any ideas.

I have a similar problem except I don't even get as far as the Saved games screen.

I just installed BtS yesterday and I still haven't managed to load the game successfully. The program crashes seconds after starting with this message:

Problem signature:
Application Timestamp: 46f40a72
Fault Module Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 46f40a72
Exception Offset: 000d8621
OS Version: 6.0.6001.2.1.0.768.3
Additional Information 1: 3164
Additional Information 2: f31c530d3d12785f4cca5eb2cbce0d8e
Additional Information 3: a347
Additional Information 4: 03930d71e5db62d382c397ff250b1a9a

I'm having the same problem. I just bought a new pc and it's the first time using Vista. I installed all the CIV games on the new PC. I was playing a normal game, not a scenario, in BTS. I've played the game for a couple of days and just hit the 20 century (like 1901). Everything was working fine - I save and load quite often - when all of a sudden I loaded a save and crashed. Note that I loaded the game while in the game. I apologize for not having the information as the others, but it just crashed with a little window basically saying Windows has a problem with the game and will search for a solution. However, it essentially just stuck on this search forever so I closed and tried it again. I could load the same save I was tryng to load the first time booting up the game, but could not load any save once in the game. I tried starting over once again with an older save but still had the same problem. So basically I have hit a wall with this error.

It appears that this problem has been posted for a while without a response. Has anyone taken a look at this issue yet?

Okay, I just did a little more checking. I went back and open some more old files and basically narrowed it down to the year 1901 when the problem starts. I don't know if it's the year in question or some event. Anyway, I thought this info might be helpful.

I have a similar problem except I don't even get as far as the Saved games screen.

I just installed BtS yesterday and I still haven't managed to load the game successfully. The program crashes seconds after starting with this message:

Problem signature:
Application Timestamp: 46f40a72
Fault Module Name: Civ4BeyondSword.exe
Fault Module Version: 3.0.0.1
Fault Module Timestamp: 46f40a72
Exception Offset: 000d8621
Additional Information 1: 3164
Additional Information 2: f31c530d3d12785f4cca5eb2cbce0d8e
Additional Information 3: a347
Additional Information 4: 03930d71e5db62d382c397ff250b1a9a

I have this problem as well, the same error message and all (except the computer-specific stuff) and nobody seems to have an idea :(

I have Vista 64-bit, Intel Core 2 Quad-core 2.4ghz and an Nvidea Geforce 8600GTS card.
I WAS running BtS for a long time before this problem cropped up a few months ago. I cannot pinpoint when it occured but all I can think of is that an automatic vista update changed something that prevents Civ from running properly.

I have tried completely reinstalling Civ4 from the ground up including getting rid of data in (computerusername) -> application data to no avail. Latest patch is applied.

Do you have a similar system Peanut?

Here's what I got:

Problem signature
Application Version: 3.1.3.1
Application Timestamp: 48317e8a
Fault Module Version: 3.1.7.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48317a3a
Exception Offset: 000cff0d
Additional Information 3: c87c
Additional Information 4: 3cc4b887fb3783dbf9fff875f4c3c19a

AND:

Product
Sid Meier's Civilization 4 : Beyond The Sword

Problem
Stopped working

Date
5/5/2009 12:38 PM

Status
Not Reported

Problem signature
Application Version: 3.1.3.1
Application Timestamp: 48317e8a
Fault Module Version: 3.1.7.0
Fault Module Timestamp: 48317a3a
Exception Offset: 00109ab0
Additional Information 3: 03ab
Additional Information 4: 210baf08eba3be96d18287bd92af1c0d

I feel like I'm trying to go through more code than the human genome project to track down the problem. Anybody have a hunch what's going on? Until this is resolved, no BtS for me!

been aaages since I was last here :D

My hunch is that it is a software conflict with another, newer, game. Possibly a compatibility problem with newer versions of DirectX. I got a new laptop with Vista, untouched by directX and Civ works fine on it.

I'm not too willing to uninstall directX on my main PC to find out if this is the issue..last comp I tried that on screwed up two other games and broke autorun >_< I should really take a computer maintenance course so this stuff doesn't scare me anymore :crazyeye:

Hey all - I'm having the same problem described above. Did updating DirectX help? Any other ideas?

Hey all - I'm having the same problem described above. Did updating DirectX help? Any other ideas?

Same problem here on XP Pro, and no, updating DirectX didn't help. This 3.19 patch looks quite buggy ! I'm seriously considering downgrading (= reinstalling :cry:) to 3.17. Pity, the Buffy mod was quite nice, and the NOCD start was cool too :cry:

\bye

Here is the attached file. I am running the latest patch version of BTS.

just checking: does this also happen with non-modified versions of the game?
also: you are running this with administrator rights, correct?

the error referenced is a memory access violation error - essentially the game tries to use a memory address it is not allowed to do - either because that memory is reserved for something else (graphics usually), or because it does not have the right privileges (hence my question about administrator rights), or because the memory is defective, or because the program is crappy and uses memory thats reserved for the operating system (should not be the case with this game - it does run on almost all Vista machines).

I'm posting a few notes on this issue which seems to be hanging around forever:

1) I have a post above reporting the issue but this was over a year ago.

2) I have a high-end Vista machine. I used to play CIV on my older but decent XP machine. I don't recall having this problem on the older machine and it almost seems like the game ran better on that machine than my current one, which blows the older one away in specs in every regard.

3) I get the MAF error a lot when playing larger maps with mods like FFH, Orbis, HitM, etc. Note sure about regular games since lately I've been playing smaller maps because of the error. The MAF error generally occurs mid to late game when most of the other civs have been discovered.

4) Even more prevalent is the error reported above when loading save games. I'm not sure if it's related to the same issue as the MAF but only the general Windows error pops up when loading a save from in game. I kind of remedy this by exiting to the main menu before reloading. This generally seems to work but not always.

5) I run BTS, Warlords and vanilla with admin rights. I also modified directory permissions based on the HoF mod.

6) Question is whether these issues have been reported to Firaxis/2k and if they are doing anything about it. There's obviously some kind of memory leak issue with the game that may have been caused by later patches. At this point, CIV should run easily on machines like mine. I can understand certain large mods could impact things, but Bug mods shouldn't.

7) Is there any update on the issue from the experts - any idea if anything will ever be fixed? Not complaining at all - just clueless.

there are two kinds of memory allocation errors - one is video memory allocation error - and I do not know a remedy for that - the other is memory allocation error: did you set windows to allow more than 2GB of RAM for an application?
2K knows about the MAF error in modded games and essentially washed its hands off it stating they cannot do anything about modded games... However they did compile Beyond the Sword as large memory aware, which means that if Windows is set to allow more than 2GB it can use up to 3GB and MAF errors then are not very common.

hey ori - are you referring to the virtual memory/page filing? I do have 4 gb of RAM, but not sure if it's optimize. If you can tell me how to check this and what the recommend settings are I'd would greatly appreciate it.

Top Bottom