Game on LifeSupport?

As I was conducting a test on retirement in pbem, I got this message :lol:

Attachments

• retire.png
    retire.png
    49.7 KB · Views: 378
So how about if we can't recruit a new player by next monday and Aloha still dosen't want to upgrade we ask Loco to allow a mod to retire them?

We haven't fully explored the option of upgrading to 1.74 with some sort of compensation to Aloha.

Obviously, if no power ever fields mounted units against Aloha, this patch issue is mute :mischief:

But patching up to 1.74 seems to be a sound solution, if we can all agree on a fair way to adjust for Aloha's Cossacks.

The 8:5 ratio I had proposed, and which Conroe negated, was only a first attempt to correct for the :strength: adjustment of the patch. Clearly, more work and thought has to be devoted to this.

But I don't even know if it's all that simple to mod in units like this - and if it is easy, then can't we simply 'unmod' the +25% bonus vs. mounted back to +50%? I suppose that all the turnplayers would have install the same mod.... :hmm:

That would defiently be a prefered solution!!!! Wow Chamnix you would really save this game :) :salute: Please sign up ASAP!!

However we would now be enemies :evil: ;)

You guys missed part of the point of my question. So far no one has said their team situation and how they are doing for players. I see Conroe has played the last 150 odd turns, is there anyone at piffle that could take over if he went on holiday? I know aloha would be struggling to find a player if i wasn't available. What about Innovia and Epsilon? Sure we can get Loco going again but if its likely that something similar can happen to other teams then is it worth continuing...

Speaking for Innovia, I think we've got at least 2, and probably up to 5 players who could take the save within a reasonable time.

No offense Rob but allowing us to patch will dramatically increase the number of people who can play, but for the time being there is still enough interest.

Personally, I think Robi D has a valid point. Piffle participation was, at best, poor when I took over as turn player. I think it is safe to say that it has reached the pathetic level over the last couple of months.

I firmly believe that it is no coincidence that the two teams without any significant participation issues are the two teams that still have a shot at winning this game. Now I am NOT suggesting we abandon this game; far from it. But instead realize just how difficult it is to motivate and encourage participation when the conclusion is foregone.

I see Conroe has played the last 150 odd turns, is there anyone at piffle that could take over if he went on holiday?
Well, the last time I went on vacation, it stopped until I got back.

Well I think Chamnix should definetly play for Loco... we'll deal with other teams not playing as that arises...

I agree. So Chamnix should get access to the Team Loco forum now, right? I figure all details on getting the save should be there, along with any strategies (I've heard that there are teams with a strategy, maybe we should be using one too :crazyeye:)

allowing us to patch will dramatically increase the number of people who can play

...which is precisely why I'm confused that the discussion of patching up can't seem to get off the ground. Twice I've tried to start the discussions, to no avail.

It is unrealistic to ask a team to give up a tactical advantage in the middle of a war without some sort of balancing compensation. Clearly, adding in more units is not the best solution. But I'm really drawing a blank as to how else to do it. For that matter, does anyone even know if it's feasible to mod-in units?

If units can be modded in, then why not upgrade to 1.74, and re-mod the Cossacks to +50% vs mounted? That was Aloha continues playing with the unit they signed up for, and the rest of the game is unaffected.

EDIT: Participation will go back up once the game moves along at more than a turn every 2 weeks :coffee:

...which is precisely why I'm confused that the discussion of patching up can't seem to get off the ground. Twice I've tried to start the discussions, to no avail.

It is unrealistic to ask a team to give up a tactical advantage in the middle of a war without some sort of balancing compensation. Clearly, adding in more units is not the best solution. But I'm really drawing a blank as to how else to do it. For that matter, does anyone even know if it's feasible to mod-in units?

If units can be modded in, then why not upgrade to 1.74, and re-mod the Cossacks to +50% vs mounted? That was Aloha continues playing with the unit they signed up for, and the rest of the game is unaffected.

EDIT: Participation will go back up once the game moves along at more than a turn every 2 weeks :shakehead:

I *think* that's possible if the first person to open the save after it has been unlocked (an admin), opens it in some "MTDG" mod, and all turnplayers have this mod. This mod would only have to be one file with unit information, and with one change, the cossack. So I think it's possible.

This game is certainly obsolete. Team members cannot open saves, which adds to the lack of participation. The game is a pbem, another archaic format with Pitboss around. Some people would need to do triple installs (old vanilla patch, old warlords patch, current BTS patch) to play the turn when the normal turnplayer cannot.

I would be in favor of starting a new BTS pitboss game and declaring a winner here. The advantages to this are many:

1) Ease of use for all team members, there never should be a lack of turnplayers.
2) The game will play faster. We can probably reach the endgame faster in a new pitboss than keeping with this game.
3) More gameplay options.
4) Better balance.

Im sure there are many more things. Lets just put this thing to rest and start a new one. Perhaps bug Gyathaar to make a map, bug someone to lend a pitboss comp, keep the same or similar rules, keep the same or similar teams, and we can be under way within a week playing 4 times faster, or at the current rate of 1 turn a week... however many times faster that is!

I disagree that this game is obsolete. If that were the case, there wouldn't still be a civ3 mtdg.

The only people who can't open saves are those people who have patched up and can't do a dual install. There are several people on Epsilon who regularly open the saves.

If modding, as Dutchfire indicates, is a possiblilty, then we should explore that.

Everyone knew going into this game it was going to be a long one. We can always start another one along side this one, but I think it's a very bad idea to "put this one to rest".

Let's keep the discussion focused on how to keep this game moving, not how to kill it.

I'm not sure the winner of this game is quite to the level of "forgone conclusion" just yet.

However, I totally agree that the 2 biggest problems are 1) The mind-numbingly slow pace recently and 2) The great difficulty in being able to play the game unpatched.

@Peter – I think the reason the discussion about patching and then trying to balance the game keeps getting stalled is because we all agree with you that trying to add units to Aloha is not a very good method to balance, no one has a better idea, and even if we did have a better idea, we can't even get an Admin to play save – I have very little hope we can get one to do an extensive Mod of the game for us.

If Chamnix is going to play for LOCO, let's just press on and see if it we can get a little further in this game.

As much as I would hate to just see this game end with a whimper, I suppose I'd be willing to accept a mass surrender to Epsilon Team. The Leader stands ready to welcome all with a true heart into the eternal light of his embrace. You'll all bow the knee someday – come willingly, or we'll be forced to use more… "persuasive"… methods :)

Just a lurkers thought but what about patching and then worldbuildering Formation promotions onto the currently available cossacks. This would take it back to the +50% it would've been, and the only problems being the bonus carries over to upgrade, and maybe losing the promotion should it already be promoted. Both are kind of moot I think.

I disagree that this game is obsolete. If that were the case, there wouldn't still be a civ3 mtdg.

The only people who can't open saves are those people who have patched up and can't do a dual install. There are several people on Epsilon who regularly open the saves.

If modding, as Dutchfire indicates, is a possiblilty, then we should explore that.

Everyone knew going into this game it was going to be a long one. We can always start another one along side this one, but I think it's a very bad idea to "put this one to rest".

Let's keep the discussion focused on how to keep this game moving, not how to kill it.
True enough. The only downside of starting a game alongside this one is that in theory, participation will be drawn from this 1.61 game. Or will it? If the subforum is set up right beside this one, signups go out, and new people start jotting their names down, some may see the 1.61 game and show interest in it.

Maybe some mod guidance here would be good. Im sure we could all make do with what Ginger Ale decides.

Top Bottom