Game Sounds... LOUD

JeffreyLXV

Chieftain
I have changed a few of the sound files in Civ 4 in an attempt to eliminate some of the abruptly loud moments.

Things like the victory horns, defeat and other notifications are way too loud for me. I have also tried various changes in the audio settings but to no avail without losing the music and other sounds I enjoy.

Is there a mod or something I'm overlooking that could help?

Why not just lower the "sound effects" down in the audio settings?

Indeed. There are separate music, effects, ambient noise and speech sliders. Like the sounds of the horses plodding when you click on a city? Leave ambient up. Like the music? Leave music up. Don't like Leonard Nimoy's quotes? Turn down speech. They are split up enough, and your critiques specific enough, that it sounds like effects and ambient are the only ones you might change, and maybe only effects.

Don't like Leonard Nimoy's quotes? Turn down speech

:o
I play this game solely so I can brush up on my Leonard Nimoy accent

Indeed. There are separate music, effects, ambient noise and speech sliders. Like the sounds of the horses plodding when you click on a city? Leave ambient up. Like the music? Leave music up. Don't like Leonard Nimoy's quotes? Turn down speech. They are split up enough, and your critiques specific enough, that it sounds like effects and ambient are the only ones you might change, and maybe only effects.

Yes! It's the 'Interface' sounds that were bothering me.... derp :crazyeye:
What a relief...

TheWilltoAct - The 'Ambiance' that gets me after a while is the city screen in modern times. "Honk-honk." lol ...And now the horses probably will too since you've mentioned it.

Thanks all for the welcome and the advice.

Oh noes.. I'll probably start 'hearing' the horses too now. But the car horns are really annoying.

Lol!

Well... not to belabor the point, but what kind of crappy ambiance loops every five or ten seconds? That and the fact that the ingame music comes to an abrupt halt; it's a dissodant chord in an otherwise polished game experience.

One more vote for playing custom tunes. :yeah:

If I only could, I'd turn off only the defeat horns. Hearing them constantly can ruin the day completely.

You can... Most of the sounds are in the original Civ 4 folder, /Assets/Sounds

I just copied some of the softer noise files to replace the loudest ones.

I'm surprised there is not already some alternative collection.

Top Bottom