Game stability

Humungus

Chieftain
Hello everybody,
Civ1 DOS seems extremely stable for me. But sometimes it crashes irremediably, it is very frustrating !!! (after hours of playing).
I've noticed that it ALWAYS crashes during the "white" player (Russian or Roman) turn. Indeed, on the freezed screen, it's always the white square that is visible.
Did somebody noticed that fact and studied this problem ?
Thx
Humungus

Hello,
To solve this problem, first i will alway choose to play Russians or Romans, to see if crash appen even when a human play the white color. If the crashes no longuer appear, i'll hit <Ctl+R> in the beginning to randomize the traits of the ia players.
A suggestion for our hackers, would it be possible to increase the frequency of the auto-saves ?
Bye
Humungus

If by 'white square' you mean the flashing indicator in the bottom left of the screen, it's always white or grey. Its color is not related to which civ's turn it is.
What you have is probably a common crash. The AI goes into an infinite loop during its move. If you search the civ 1 forum for 'AI loop' you'll get a bunch of threads with this problem. Some possible fixes too.

If by 'white square' you mean the flashing indicator in the bottom left of the screen, it's always white or grey. Its color is not related to which civ's turn it is.
What you have is probably a common crash. The AI goes into an infinite loop during its move. If you search the civ 1 forum for 'AI loop' you'll get a bunch of threads with this problem. Some possible fixes too.
Hello maze
Thank you for your infos (particulary for the color of the square). I didn't know this bug was well known from the community ...
... but unfortunately no fix :,-(
It seems it happens on all versions of the game, so no hope on this way.
The best would be to save the game more frequently (autosave every 5 turns for exemple ...). I'v well noticed that loading a previous saved game doesn't prevent the crash each time, but sometimes ...
Bye

Top Bottom