Gamekult (french site) CivV zoom

Naokaukodem

Millenary King
http://www.gamekult.com/articles/A0000083343/

Nothing new, except some bits like:

Le développeur assure ainsi que l'ennemi sera capable d'anticiper certaines de nos actions, et se méfiera si l'on amasse des troupes au bord de ses frontières par exemple.

Translation: (approximative :p)

The enemy will be able to anticipate some of our actions, and will beware if we stockpile troops on his frontiers.

Seems some threads have inspired the developpers.

http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?t=185313

le rythme de jeu sera identique dans cet épisode du début jusqu'à la fin de la partie afin de profiter davantage des bienfaits du progrès et de l‘ère moderne

Translation:

the rythme of the game will be the same from the start to the modern era, in order to profit more from the modern era

Here I don't really understand... if the rythme is the same (same time elapsed during each turn), that would mean more of ancient era, not modern... :confused:

Last,

Le système de religion à la Civ IV a, lui, disparu dans Civilization V, pour être englobé dans la partie diplomatique, au rayon d'action plus vaste donc.

The religion system a la Civ IV disappeared in Civ V, to be included in the diplomatic part, with a better range of action

Here I don't really understand... if the rythme is the same (same time elapsed during each turn), that would mean more of ancient era, not modern... :confused:

I guess it's not referring to the amount of years passed when you hit end turn... it wouldn't make sense... if time passes 1 year per turn it would require 4000 turns to reach year 0... insane, and if it passes at say 5-10 years per turn.... the modern era would be total crap.

I bet it means that the pace at which you advance in the tech tree will not rise exponentially later in the game.
In Civ4 you spend a lot of time in the ancient era but from the medieval era onwards you tech so fast that sometimes units get obsolete before you actually had the chance to build and use them, you couldn't ejoy them.

The preview said
rythme de jeu sera identique dans cet épisode du début jusqu'à la fin de la partie afin de profiter davantage des bienfaits du progrès et de l‘ère moderne, habituellement accélérée
the last two words meaning, "[which got] usually accellerated" and referring to the modern age. I would therefore think it argued that the research and production rate being were usually much faster in the modern age, so fast you could indeed not benefit maximally from the progress there. This will no longer be the case in CiV V.

Jaca

It could also mean you don't have 5times the amount of units in the modern era, which slows gameplay down in the lategame.

What slows down the gameplay for me is not so much the units but the cities. Having to build 30 different things in each of 20 different cities is a total nightmare. Starting up a brand new city in the modern era is such a boring waste of time.

Why do I have to build a granary in a new city founded in 1990?

In Civ4 you spend a lot of time in the ancient era but from the medieval era onwards you tech so fast that sometimes units get obsolete before you actually had the chance to build and use them, you couldn't ejoy them.

I'm optimistic that some of the planned changes will resolve this issue, which has always been a major annoyance for me.

For instance, in one of my current games (WvO, epic speed on noble) I'm gearing up for a war with Hannibal, who tends to build a large army. I started in the Renaissance building trebs, knights and macemen but both of us have been teching so fast that we're both at artillery, cavalry, and infantry. At this rate I wouldn't be surprised if we both had fighters by the time I feel strong enough to DoW him. Especially since he's got the AI discount on upgrades going for him.

If the AI and human player are both more constrained in the number of units they can build by resources and maintenance, that means upgrades become more important. Hopefully they will also make that process easier and less costly.

Le système de religion à la Civ IV a, lui, disparu dans Civilization V, pour être englobé dans la partie diplomatique, au rayon d'action plus vaste donc.

this more clearly is giving an explanation for the dissapearance of religion:
means,
religion dissapeared in favor of being more involved in the diplomatic aspects of the game.

this,

le rythme de jeu sera identique dans cet épisode du début jusqu'à la fin de la partie afin de profiter davantage des bienfaits du progrès et de l‘ère moderne

means...

The rhythm of the game will be the same in the beginning and in the end in order to take advantage of your progress and the modern era.

It's a strange sentence.

I've studied at Sciences Po., Paris and have been taking French for a long time now. I'm not just guessing btw.

What slows down the gameplay for me is not so much the units but the cities. Having to build 30 different things in each of 20 different cities is a total nightmare. Starting up a brand new city in the modern era is such a boring waste of time.

Why do I have to build a granary in a new city founded in 1990?

You don't need to build everything in every city, especially cities founded in the modern era which, most likely, will never be your core production/wealth/science powerhouses. Civ4 was designed especially to let us specialize cities further, some on producing units, some on wealth, etc.

Isn't it more true to life to have production and reaserch power increase as your civ becomes more stronger/smarter?

Its gonna be an interesting thing to see the modern age.I think thats why we won't see much of the modern age untill summer probably...

if time passes 1 year per turn it would require 4000 turns to reach year 0...

Yeah that sounds about right. They should go that route. I'm down XD

Oh well, that only means that modern techs will be exponentially more expensive then... not sure I like it, it was already the case in all the previous Civs, i guess it will be worse.

The thing I liked with teching in modern era was that the science was faster, it was a realitic way to represent the scientific boost of our modern era... on the other hand, that's true that it didn't let much room to build entire armies of modern units, but i would have prefered another system in order to let this happen, like... free upgrades!

Top Bottom