Gamespot - first impressions on civ5

another article already out, nice! :D

"The demonstration we watched showed an early starting game for Greece with a troop of settlers"

Instead, Civ V will offer you a new alternative to send settlers to a desired area and plunk down a huge sum of gold to simply annex that zone and its resources.

Awesome! Now I can grab that iron without having to build another city! I can just send out a settler to expand my borders to it.

though our relatively weaker warriors unfortunately started on the front lines ahead of our spearmen, we were able to use Civ V's new switch move order to have the two units swap positions

Cool, I thought we'd see something like this to ensure that you don't end up blocking your own troops.

Greeks confirmed for Brawl.

I gathered the new info/interesting lines:

GAMESPOT fist look, March 10

Civs:
- Greece is in

Misc:
ruins - new game's version of goodie hut

City-states - neutral cities
of varying specializations (such as a militaristic city-state)
you can leave them neutral
form treaties with them,
take missions from them.
Forming a strong relationship:
A) can be very beneficial
(becoming buddies with the militaristic city-state in our demonstration meant that the neutral burg would send us free warriors every few turns)
B) but it can also upset nearby civilizations who would prefer to have that city-state's services for themselves.

Land:
your holdings will expand one hex at a time
and will tend to automatically grow toward specific nearby areas that your current civilization needs
(for instance, if you've been developing your agricultural base, your nation will automatically tend to expand toward that nearby wheat-growing plain).
- there will apparently be game-specific disadvantages to having two cities too close to each other.
- Civ V will offer you a new alternative to send settlers to a desired area and plunk down a huge sum of gold to simply annex that zone and its resources

Diplo:
you'll still be able to negotiate
- trade agreements,
- travel agreements,
- peace treaties,
- Civ V will also let you enter into research treaties:
essentially, a joint investment of a lump sum of cash that will accelerate scientific research for both nations. This can be a highly beneficial arrangement that earns you friendship points with other nations, and it can also be a serious bone of contention if you cut the treaty short midway

Units:
will take longer to produce and will eventually come to have upkeep costs associated with them
- they will also have veterancy along the lines of what was introduced in Civ IV.
That is, units that survive various skirmishes will eventually grow in power and may be able to select various bonuses to increase their usefulness and survivability
- you and your neighbors will have fewer military units in play than you might have had in previous games in the series, and they'll last longer and be more be more valuable

Combat:
The combat demonstration we watched showed a land invasion of America along two fronts, with enemy spearmen guarding General Washington's town on both sides. Our ranks consisted mainly of warriors, spearmen, and a few archers, and though our relatively weaker warriors unfortunately started on the front lines ahead of our spearmen, we were able to use Civ V's new switch move order to have the two units swap positions, and then we pit our spearmen against theirs. Those crafty Americans set themselves up behind a river, which gave their units a natural terrain bonus, but we softened up our foes with a volley of arrows from a stack of archers placed atop a nearby hill. By softening up our foes and weakening their remaining health, we effectively reduced their terrain advantage and were able to mop them up with our own spearmen, which were at full strength. Meanwhile, on the western end of the border, our troops encountered worse luck. Washington had built his empire around a one-hex-wide choke point in the mountains and blocked it off with spearmen backed up by archers. Because only one unit can occupy any one hex at any given time, there was no way to pass through the mountains without going through the enemy spearmen--cases like these will require your own archers (and other ranged units) to soften up the front lines. However, archers themselves will be extremely fragile and can be easily decimated if they're engaged in hand-to-hand combat

Defence of cities:
One--all cities will automatically defend themselves based on their current growth level and any defensive structures you may have built inside.
Two--you'll want to make sure you defend your key cities with army units, possibly building fort structures nearby to enhance your defenses

Religion is out:
Civ IV's religion system (which was met with mixed reactions) won't be making a comeback,
we're assured by Firaxis that the feature wasn't simply cut without any plans for other new features to replace it.

Civ V will offer you a new alternative to send settlers to a desired area and plunk down a huge sum of gold to simply annex that zone and its resources
Sounds like taken from the Advanced Start feature of CiV IV: bying tiles but this time applicable throughout the whole game with the use of a Settler. Interesting change! Curious about the drawbacks of founding new cities though.

One--all cities will automatically defend themselves based on their current growth level and any defensive structures you may have built inside.
Two--you'll want to make sure you defend your key cities with army units, possibly building fort structures nearby to enhance your defenses
Sounds good! Curious whether growth is slowed down when building military units (growth + structures = more defense but less units!?)

Jaca

- Civ V will offer you a new alternative to send settlers to a desired area and plunk down a huge sum of gold to simply annex that zone and its resources

So Settlers will not be limited to simply founding new cities.
This makes me wonder whether we'll see a return to the days of Civ II where your settlers also acted as workers.

We'll have to wait and see.

I stumbled upon a Dutch preview of Civ 5
(http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/civilizationv/impressies/29047)
It did not have much news except maybe the suggestion that a unit will have an attack and defense value. Plus the preview suggests that after being damaged from an attacking move the unit will not lose its defending strength. This should prevent the spear beats tank possibilities.

Another thing was land expansion. The article suggests the players do not have much to say about which tile is being added during expansion, which is mainly culturally driven. First, the most fertile tiles are being added, possibly the ones with the most valuable resources, then other factors come into play. For one instance, in case of having a river nearby, there would be a preference to keep the land tiles expanding at the same river bank. This would also apply when settling across a river. The newly founded city would stay isolated for a while as expansion will tend to pick tiles again at the same river bank it was founded on.

I'm not sure how accurate this information is.

Jaca

I stumbled upon a Dutch preview of Civ 5
(http://www.insidegamer.nl/pc/civilizationv/impressies/29047)
Plus the preview suggests that after being damaged from an attacking move the unit will not lose its defending strength. This should prevent the spear beats tank possibilities.

Ah yes, the spearman defeating a tank, on of the oldest clichees of civ and one that doesn't happen more often than it would likely in real life...
But I take two things from this info:
1. ) Units will again have attack and defense values instead of just strength
2.) Attacking units can withdraw.
Would make sense if infantry could withdraw now that every unit is going to be more important and has at least 2 movement opints. I hope they also make it possible for defenders to withdraw if there is, say, a forest nearby.

Meeting with world leaders will look and sound different in Civ V, since the game will switch to a full-screen view of that leader in his or her current environment (whether that be in a home office or out at war, for instance)

Sounds good but is it really worth the effort? One scene would be fine for me.

From what I get from combat is your defence value never changes. You may loose attack strength at first and then defense strength later. Whatever would take out a tank would have to have a greater attack value than the tank's defence value.

On the other hand the unit with a greater attack value would not take out the tank right away, but would cause the tank to loose defensive strength first and atack strength later. This would allow the tank to either attack next turn or retreat.

This would make battles more strategic with less units available on hand.

There is a settler unit confirmed. I have a question: Can a settler create "rivers"? Maybe not on the sense of naturally occuring rivers, but the Erie Canal. The mote around a castle. It sounds like a river between two cities may make your cities a lot more "culture" productive.

It also sounds like resources can be obtained by relationships with the "city-states". Instead of trying to control them all by your self, you can "barter" for them when you need them.

Very interesting article with new information. Also a new (world?) wonder: the porcelain tower.

The journalist saw bye coincidence when he was given a tour so it's not official.

I googled it: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Porcelain_Tower_of_Nanjing

off-topic but funny: Sid Meier was looked annoyed when he was called after the tour for the mandatory group pic

We saw Civ V in a hands-off demonstration at the 2010 Game Developers Conference in San Francisco, in the early settlement game, as well as in a later, more-established session against more-developed nations

So, where's that video? I mean: hey - everyone would like to see a piece of game. And now, that we know it actually exists... i need to see it :D

Top Bottom