Gamespot Releases 3 Gameplay Videos, Hands-On Multiplayer Preview

Ginger_Ale

Lurker
Retired Moderator
A relatively detailed multiplayer-focused preview has been released by Gamespot, containing some info specifically about the multiplayer capabilities in Civilization IV: Colonization. While they played via a LAN, Gamespot confirmed that the game contains Hotseat, Play by Email, Internet, and Direct IP modes for play among up to 8 people, meaning two people can together control one colony.

This preview does delve into the game mechanics a fair bit, but it still highlights the multiplayer gameplay:
At the same time in the far north, another of our opponents, playing as the Dutch, was growing his holdings at a tremendous pace...However, we did commission a privateer unit to start raiding these wealthy Dutch ships for their goods...Utilizing privateers in multiplayer is a fun way to pester your opponents without entering a costly war...Early on it seems the best strategy is to offer open trade borders to your counterparts, even building an alliance when your king eventually sends its expeditionary force after you when you declare independence.

Gamespot also published three gameplay videos from their multiplayer experience, a total of over three minutes of footage. The videos cover these aspects: trade with Europe, the development of your colonies, and more general empire management. They give a good taste of the interface and music in Colonization.

We hope to add the info from this preview and other recent ones to the Colonization info center sometime soon!

In the November issue of PCGamer (which all subscribers have received) the game has already been reviewed.... and received a score of 84% ;)

[..., meaning two people can together control one colony.

That's the ultimate bit of information for me, Firaxis I love you for this feature!

PS: The only other game with such kind of "cooperative-singleplay" (I know of) is "Starcraft", do you know any others?

In the November issue of PCGamer (which all subscribers have received)

This gets me every time. You could say they are really late with their review. The PC mag I read will review it in its Oktober issue, that won't be out till around 30 September or so. Guess they have it a month earlier then PCGAMER then. Weird stuff.

the game has already been reviewed.... and received a score of 84% ;)

Very nice score! I follow their podcast and the reviewer (who did the magazine review) said it kept him up well into the night. Sounds like a true Sid Meier game :)

That's the ultimate bit of information for me, Firaxis I love you for this feature!

PS: The only other game with such kind of "cooperative-singleplay" (I know of) is "Starcraft", do you know any others?

Yes, AOE2 had that feature as well, but it sucked. I hope it'll be more fun in colonization.

In AOE2 that was a good feature, used to play with my cuz. One would do the military and the other the domestic stuff. Good co-op mode.

In colonization I guess you could each control a couple of colonies each.

Yep, I also thought of AOE2, there was a nice distinction between military and domestic control, which was kind of hard to manage all by yourself optimally (at least for our player level ;))

I guess there is only one problem with colonization: I will have to stop playing civ4 :(

Top Bottom