Gary's Poser Unit Creation Thread and Workshop

Welcome to the wonderful world of Poser. You will get the hang of it, though.

It's good to take care to make sure your unit is the right size, though - three pixels taller might not seem like much but it will make him look pretty tall in-game. If you want a unit to look especially tall for some reason then that's fine, but you don't want them all looking 6'10 for no particular reason.

I'm going to try rendering with anti-aliasing off. I notice the Firaxis units don't have shaded squares for their units. With anti-aliasing off my unit looks a little more like the Firaxis ones.

EDIT: Oh well. Had mixed results with that. Back to the drawing board.

Try this, if you want to try interesting things....

render two series, 1 with AA and 1 with out.

open both in photoshop (or similar)

select the entire image of the one with out AA, now deselect background (magenta) and paste over the one with AA....

Not saying to do this everytime (or even do it at all), but with highly detailed units it can give slightly better results.

It is not just the height, but the width. He will look very much like starvin' Marvin compared to the rest of the units.

He doesn't really look like he's starving, I think he just looks more muscular. At least in the torso. Maybe he benches a lot and doesn't bother with any other parts of his body.

OK. A question...

How do I set it up in the .ini file so that the unit sounds will refer back to the standard Firaxis Infantry sounds?

I tried this format and it didn't work for some reason.

..\Infantry\InfantryRun.wav

With .amb's you need to have the .amb file in the unit folder, or so I believe...

No-one knows how to make .amb files; they're a mysterious thing apparently of Firaxis' own invention. However, there should be no problem linking to them in the way described. I checked the folders and I see that it should indeed be ..\Infantry\InfantryRun.amb, since this is the name of the sound file in the Infantry folder; I don't know why Gary can't get it to work. I'd recommend checking the folder for the Infantry unit (in Civilization III/Art/Units, of course) and seeing if InfantryRun.amb is there. Perhaps it somehow got deleted or moved?

[Sound Effects]
BLANK=
DEFAULT=
WALK=
RUN=..\Infantry\InfantryRun.amb
ATTACK1=..\Infantry\InfantryAttack.amb
ATTACK2=
ATTACK3=
DEFEND=
DEATH=..\Infantry\InfantryDeath.wav
DEAD=
FORTIFY=..\Infantry\InfantryFortify.wav
FORTIFYHOLD=
FIDGET=..\Infantry\InfantryFidget.wav
VICTORY=..\Infantry\InfantryVictory.wav
TURNRIGHT=
BUILD=
ROAD=
MINE=
IRRIGATE=
FORTRESS=
CAPTURE=
TURNLEFT=
STOP_AT_LAST_FRAME=
[Version]
VERSION=1
[Palette]
PALETTE=

.amb files are "little programs" that tell the game how to play the sound bytes...I wish I had the software to make them. I am not sure that they are only something that Firaxis made for the Game or if they can be made from a particular program. Just another one of the many "secrets" we would like to know :)

You can place Links to .amb Files as well as individual sounds in the .ini as listed above. I do remember having some problems with .amb files with CIV III where I had to copy and paste the .amb file directly into a unit folder for it to work. Conquest has not had this problem but if you are unable to get the sounds to work, place a copy of the .amb file into your unit folder and then type it into your unit .ini file directly, the same as it is typed in the original Infantry .ini.
IF this still does not work, place a copy of all sounds and the .amb files into your unit folder and type the .ini the same as the Infantry .ini. IF this does not work, you are missing some files.

...Sounds may have a problem working due to the placement of your game and files where the computer does not know the path for any reason.

I got the sound files to work but unfortunately the only way I could get them to work is to place them all directly into the folder with the new unit. It's strange but I didn't have that problem with one of the other units I made. I used the link and it worked fine before. :confused:

In any case it works so I'll have to stick with that I guess.

EDIT: This is the latest I have for my unit. It's still a little big and I need to scale it down a little. Also I'm not very happy with the victory animation. I've tried and tried to create a decent victory but manipulating his rifle and arms in the right way have been a royal pain...

Yes, it is probably due to the computer not knowing the path to the original unit folder for the sounds or .amb files. This is usually an individual thing that does not affect everyone and as you have discoved, it does not affect you for all units. Computers are Strange "Animals" sometimes.

I think the attack animation might look better if he keeps a hold on the rifle as he aims. :)

Looks great other than that! Dig the marching alot!

I think the attack animation might look better if he keeps a hold on the rifle as he aims. :)

Looks great other than that! Dig the marching alot!

I think you may be looking at the victory animation. He shoots, then does his victory (raising the right arm) and then shoots again and dies. That's why I'm not very happy with the victory. It doesn't really "do it" for me either. I still need to work on a good victory.

No, I meant the left hand, when he brings the gun up to aim, his left hand leaves the barrel and then grabs hold of it again. It looks a bit odd to me, as any time i've used a rifle or seen one used, a hold is kept on at all times when bringing it up to aim. :)

The victory animation looks fine though, but if you want he could sort of "pump" once, the common voctory hand motion?

Yes, both hands could be kept on the Rifle as he brings the Rifle up to aim for the Fortify to be more natural. But perhaps he has a super strong Right Hand and Wrist :) ... With all of our "critiquing", remember "Artistic Licence" Gary. What You want is always Best :)
The Victory could be raising his Rifle with his right hand only and Shooting a couple of times for one example.

I'll try to make a more natural fortify.

I may have to do just a hand pump for the victory. I'd like to do a shot up in the air, that wouldn't be too difficult for me either. The only draw back is I don't have a unit victory sound with a single gun shot. The guerilla does a victory shooting up in the air, however, the sound file for that has a machine gun going off.

If anyone has a sound file with a victory shout followed by a gunshot they would like to lend me that would be cool. :)

EDIT: OK, here's the latest...

Before and After (after being the new and improved version)

Top Bottom