Gen. Rommel's Mighty Unit Emporium - A Unit Preview Thread

THE GERMAN, THE GERMAN, THE GERMAN IS THE BEST THING EVER.

I suppose his axe blade looks a little 'flau,' it being just a flat grey, but if you were to texture it I doubt it would show up at civ scale.

Yes, please make the grenadiers throw grenades!

And although I wouldn't have been able to pick out all the things Ares did about the Teutonic knight, he's totally right. ;)

THE GERMAN, THE GERMAN, THE GERMAN IS THE BEST THING EVER.

The axe seems to be rather on the large side. Amazing amount of detail you have manged to place onto these units great job. I cannot wait to see these as completed units. If I might make a small request would it be possible to make some pirate type units? I have been working on a pirate scenario to replace the old and outdated ones available and made 2 different maps for it. One of the Carri bean and other including part of Europe in order to ship goods back to the home country and include the Barbary Pirates (Berbers).

I suppose his axe blade looks a little 'flau,' it being just a flat grey, but if you were to texture it I doubt it would show up at civ scale.

Yes, please make the grenadiers throw grenades!

I'll see what I can do about texturing the axe, since I totally agree that it looks a little flat at current. This will of course only effect the Civilopedia entry, but who cares, right?! ;)

And I will definitely make a grenade throwing animation for the grenadier units.

BadKharma said:
If I might make a small request would it be possible to make some pirate type units? I have been working on a pirate scenario to replace the old and outdated ones available and made 2 different maps for it. One of the Carri bean and other including part of Europe in order to ship goods back to the home country and include the Barbary Pirates (Berbers).

While I can't promise yet when I'll actually get time to do this for you, you have my word that I'll surely make a couple piratey units for you. It would be helpful if you gather some reference pictures so I know what type of units you need. But don't worry about doing that too soon, I'll let you know when I've found time to do those units at a later date.

These are amazing models - I'm really impressed at how you've used the various props and figures imaginatively to match the source art so closely. I especially like the Germanic Axeman. It looks like you've made that excellent cloak by combining Kinboat's standard Cape prop with my Collar, right? Very clever. I like the fact you've bulked up the PDM too, to make him more muscly. All round, fantastic work. If you take this much care with the animations too, these will be wonderful units.

Actually didn't the grenades of that time period get shot out of a special rifle?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grenadier

Look under the passage titles Grenades, and you'll see how the grenades were implemented back then. They were basically just spheres filled with gunpowder that were then flung at the enemy.

Plotinus said:
It looks like you've made that excellent cloak by combining Kinboat's standard Cape prop with my Collar, right?

Right you are good sir!

Oh, and thank you for changing the title Plotinus (I presume it was you). God knows that's not the first time you've saved my keister from a mis-titled thread hehe. But while I was editing my first post just now, I saw I actually have the ability to do it myself...I feel pretty stupid. :blush:

Nice work Rommel! :thumbsup:

My only critique point is that you haven't released them yet. :mad:

These units are great, I like the Teutonic Knight especially but what are the horns for? I don't think I've seem horns on any medieval knights besides maybe the few viking units.

Well, you know you opened Pandora's box now. I will harass you with more Germanic requests.

Har.Har.

These units are great, I like the Teutonic Knight especially but what are the horns for? I don't think I've seem horns on any medieval knights besides maybe the few viking units.

NOOOO! Vikings NEVER EVER AT ANY POINT wore horns on their helmets! Only in bad movies and swedish comics!

*cough* ;)

Later Medieval knights wore helmet decorations as part of their coat of arms, but only for tournament. They would be too cumbersome and even dangerous in battle.

Wolfram von Eschenbach (as depicted in the Codex Manesse)

At the beginning I also was mad about detailes, but the most of them are not seen at civ-scale, so I had to deny using of some details. :(

Oh, and thank you for changing the title Plotinus (I presume it was you). God knows that's not the first time you've saved my keister from a mis-titled thread hehe. But while I was editing my first post just now, I saw I actually have the ability to do it myself...I feel pretty stupid. :blush:

That was indeed me... If you've started a thread you can change the title yourself for the first few minutes (I don't know exactly how long).

At least you can see them on the civilopedia picture right? :goodjob:

It's surprising how few details show up on the pedia picture too... It's pretty small.

These look very promising. Very promising start! But, do not forget about CIV colors. It is usually best to plan that bit out before hand and not try to fit it in later.

I disagree with Ares' suggested changes to the knight to a degree. I think the minor inaccuracies will make it more interesting to look at. The exception would be the shield, it is almost certainly going to look too busy at civ scale.

I look forward to seeing these animated.

Here I was about to argue that the shield is the one thing I disagree with Ares about and Bjornlo goes and agrees about the shield.:blush:

The unit looks as great as the others. The horns look nice, but I'm not opposed to them being removed. They do look cool though.

I love the shield. The coat of arms may look too modern but I think it looks great. I'm sure I'll love the unit anyways though.

And Ares de Borg, keep up the Germanic requests if Gen. Rommel will make them.;)

Here I was about to argue that the shield is the one thing I disagree with Ares about and Bjornlo goes and agrees about the shield.:blush:
Reasonable people are allowed to disagree. My only concern with the sheild was how it would look at civ scale, not the minor inaccuracies of it.

I would be inclined to agree with Bjornlo about the shield. Sometimes small detail can look OK at civ scale, even though the details are lost, but sometimes it can just look a bit confusing. I think many of the best units are those that go for blocks of colour (or blocks of texture-type detail, such as mail) and avoid too much clutter. However, you never can tell, and often animation makes the details look better than they would in a still image. Just take extra care doing the palette for a unit like that.

While I can't promise yet when I'll actually get time to do this for you, you have my word that I'll surely make a couple piratey units for you. It would be helpful if you gather some reference pictures so I know what type of units you need. But don't worry about doing that too soon, I'll let you know when I've found time to do those units at a later date.
Thank you very much. I'll wait until you let me know you are ready.

Top Bottom