General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

I've toyed with the idea of writing a "Gospel according to Trump."
[Insert obligatory Mein Kampf joke]

Joking aside. If you did that... unironically and in a flattering way (to Trump), it would be the NYT #1 bestseller for a year... and a bestseller in general for decades, maybe centuries...

"People love what I have to say. They believe in it. They just don't like the word Nazi, that's all." - 'Stormfront', played by Aya Cash in The Boys

Last edited:
Disagree. Right now, any American who wants a President who's not a racist, misogynist, protectionist, nationalist, authoritarian, lazy, self-dealing, dimwitted, narcissistic, fraudulent, pathological liar is on the Left.

Fine, but the point is really that these rulings are not happening because the judges issuing them don't want Trump to be President, they are happening because the 14th plainly disqualifies Trump from being President as a result of his insurrection.

Fine, but the point is really that these rulings are not happening because the judges issuing them don't want Trump to be President, they are happening because the 14th plainly disqualifies Trump from being President as a result of his insurrection.
Its both. They don't want Trump as POTUS and they are thanking their lucky stars that they have a sound legal basis to disqualify him.

As for the SCOTUS... we'll see...

I mean, I agree that it does, and yet the Colorado ruling was only 4-3. I haven't read the ruling. It's possible the 3 dissents are all on procedural grounds, and not on the merits. Somehow I doubt it, though. I suspect there are 3 psychos on the Colorado Supreme Court who think Trump would be a fine President. I bet they went to law school, and everything. I bet they've even read the Constitution, which probably a lot of Trump supporters can't say.

p.s. We can see Trump's lawyers playing their lawyerly games, claiming that the language doesn't preclude someone from running for public office, but only from holding public office. In law, there is no such thing as the spirit of the law.

Again the framing of the issue is just incorrect. 3 judges on the Colorado Supreme Court want Trump as President so badly they were willing to butcher the plain meaning of the 14th (and likely forswore themselves) to try to achieve that goal. 4 judges, whatever their personal feelings on Trump, ruled in accordance with the law.

Your framing validates the BSAB nonsense that says there's no real difference between Trump and those opposing him.

Your framing validates the BSAB nonsense that says there's no real difference between Trump and those opposing him.
I wrote, "The Left wants a President who's not a racist, misogynist, protectionist, nationalist, authoritarian, lazy, self-dealing, dimwitted, narcissistic, fraudulent, pathological liar" and you read that as "BSAB"? Smoke more, dude.

I wrote, "The Left wants a President who's not a racist, misogynist, protectionist, nationalist, authoritarian, lazy, self-dealing, dimwitted, narcissistic, fraudulent, pathological liar" and you read that as "BSAB"? Smoke more, dude.

Yes, because, as stated, this implies that the judges ruling Trump off the ballot are doing the same thing the pro-Trump judges are doing, which is simply ruling according to their political or personal preference.

In reality this is the law and the Republic on one side and a man who should be an outlaw and his criminal, oathbreaking minions on the other.

At this point, its not just that Trump is a Republican, Trump is the Republican, as in the Republican party belongs to Trump, he is the leader, and the platform/values/ideology of the party are completely driven and dictated by him. If you are not a Trump Republican you are outside the mainstream, a rebel, RINO, whatever you want to call it. Trump is the insider. Trump and his supporters are the establishment. If you are a Republican who opposes Trump you are on the radical fringe of the party.

There aren't "MAGA-Republicans", really... there are Republicans and Never-Trumpers/Anti-MAGA'ers. "Republican" and "MAGA" are the same thing nowadays. If you aren't MAGA, you're RINO. Why oppose Trump but still claim to be a Republican (other than for social reasons)? It's pointless. Just c'mon over and join the Democrats, we love you, we accept you, the water's fine...:D
Spoken like a true Democrat. He obsoletes much of the D platform other than culture war by straight adopting it, going all the way down to straight disdain for elections, so yeah...

No.

Last edited:
Yes, because, as stated, this implies that the judges ruling Trump off the ballot are doing the same thing the pro-Trump judges are doing, which is simply ruling according to their political or personal preference.
Well, I don't think it's simply their political preference. As @Sommerswerd said, I think it's both.

In reality this is the law and the Republic on one side and a man who should be an outlaw and his criminal, oathbreaking minions on the other.
You write "in reality" as though this isn't a political position. Unless you think there's no circumstance under which being a scofflaw or breaking an oath is morally acceptable (I don't think you do think that, but I guess I don't know for sure). For me, though, being a criminal or an oathbreaker isn't innately bad. I'd need to know what laws or oaths were broken, and to what end and at what cost.

EDIT: I find myself thinking about whether I think that breaking an oath is worse than breaking a law. I'm not 100% sure, but yeah, I think I kinda do. I think I am madder at Donald Trump because he was President than I would be if he'd been 'merely' a Right-Wing radio host or something, during incidents like the Jan 6th riot or the Charleston "Unite the Right" rally. Again, though, the ends can't be ignored. What if a President showed support for a civil rights rally in front of a statehouse that turned violent? Or even just played it cool and refused to denounce it? How would I feel then?

Last edited:

Florida Resort Abruptly Cancels Marjorie Taylor Green’s Jan. 6 Event​

The resort said it “was not made aware of the purpose of this event” when organizers pitched what they claimed was a book signing.

A Florida resort scheduled to host Rep. Marjorie Taylor Greene (R-Ga.) for what organizers claimed would be a small book signing abruptly canceled it Thursday after learning the gathering was actually meant to commemorate the third anniversary of the deadly Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.
Westgate Resorts’ Kissimmee, Florida, location said the Osceola Republican Party made no mention of Jan. 6 when they pitched the event, instead describing it as a book signing for Greene’s memoir.

“Please be advised that Westgate was not made aware of the purpose of this event when we were approached to host a book signing,” the resort said in a statement. “This event has been cancelled and is no longer taking place at our resort.”
Despite the cancellation, the Osceola County Republican Party was still selling tickets to the event as of Friday morning.

The tiered tickets range in price from $45 to $1,000, with “Super VIPs” at the highest level receiving “a special private briefing on J6 and DC in a closed-door session.”
Osceola County Republican Party chair Mark Cross told The Hill Friday he was unaware Westgate had dropped them. Cross said he believed Democrats were ultimately to blame for “calling people and lying about the purpose of the event.”
ADVERTISEMENT

Asked by NBC News about the cancellation during a campaign event for former President Donald Trump in Iowa, Greene called the question “stupid” and told the outlet, “I really don’t understand the point of your question. It doesn’t make any sense.”

Someone on the radio just posed an interesting hypothetical, as a way of demonstrating that removing Trump from the ballot, by way of Amd 14 Sec 3, is the proper thing to do: What if Barack Obama ran for a 3rd term? That's barred, also by a Constitutional Amendment. He'd have to be removed from the ballot, obviously, if adhering to the Amendment were paramount, over other considerations. I suspect Obama supporters would be struggling to find some kind of exception or loophole, just as Trump supporters are now. I might, up to a point. Of course Obama isn't doing that. If he were, we'd have to think about how much we like him. Maybe some of us would get angry with him for asking us to do that. It's kind of a flawed thought experiment, because Donald Trump and Barack Obama have already demonstrated what kinds of men they are. It isn't random that one of them is causing this ruckus and the other one isn't.

(All these years later, and I still find myself misspelling his name "Barrack." :lol: )

Supreme Court says it will decide if Trump qualifies for Colorado ballot​

The Supreme Court said Friday it will decide whether former President Donald Trump’s name can appear on primary-election ballots, a case that ensures the justices will play a central role in shaping this year’s presidential election.

Cut through the 2024 election noise. Get The Campaign Moment newsletter.

The decision to review the case from Colorado at oral argument in early February comes after that state’s top court disqualified the Republican frontrunner, finding Trump engaged in an insurrection before and during the Jan. 6, 2021, attack on the U.S. Capitol.

Friday’s announcement puts the justices in a pivotal, potentially uncomfortable position with echoes of the court’s involvement in the 2000 election when its decision assured victory for President George W. Bush, polarized the nation and damaged the court’s reputation as an independent institution.

The court’s brief order scheduled oral argument for Feb. 8, and came the day before the third anniversary of the Capitol riot.

Legal scholars and state election officials have urged the court to quickly settle the question of Trump’s eligibility as a candidate and to ensure all states follow the same policy ahead of this year’s primary voting. Trump holds a wide lead over other Republican contenders, with the Iowa caucus less than two weeks away and state primaries starting Jan. 23.
The Colorado decision was the first time a court found a presidential candidate could be barred from the ballot because of a provision of the post-Civil War 14th Amendment. The provision prevents insurrectionists from holding office and was designed to keep Confederates from returning to power.

Similar arguments have been made to keep Trump off the ballot elsewhere. While those challenges have failed in some states, like Michigan and Minnesota, they are pending in Illinois, Oregon, Massachusetts and elsewhere. Maine’s top election official last month barred Trump from that state’s ballot, an order Trump has appealed in state court.

Both Colorado and Maine temporarily put their decisions to bar Trump as a candidate on hold, meaning the former president’s name will stay on the primary ballots until the legal issues are resolved. Colorado and Maine hold primaries on March 5, but ballots are printed — and mailed to military and overseas voters — weeks before then.
The public already views the Supreme Court through a partisan lens, with Democrats expressing little confidence in the court and Republicans saying the opposite, and the question of whether Trump should be kept off the ballot has the potential to further polarize those views.

“It throws them right into the political thicket,” Stanford law professor Michael W. McConnell said of the court. “There is no way they can decide the case without having about half the country think they are being partisan hacks.”

In part for that reason, Chief Justice John G. Roberts Jr., an ardent institutionalist, is likely to look for consensus through a narrow ruling that seeks unanimity or avoids a partisan split on a court with a 6-3 conservative majority that includes three justices nominated by Trump.
Constitutional scholars are divided on whether it would be good for democracy to bar Trump from the ballot, or whether such a move, even if legally sound, is politically too dangerous. Many of them say they expect the justices to try to find a way to decide the case without addressing the underlying question of whether Trump engaged in insurrection.

1704492938454.png

Here are the key states where Trump’s ballot status is being challenged

The justices have several paths to resolve the case in a way that keeps Trump’s name on the ballot without dealing with the question of insurrection. In urging the justices to invalidate the Colorado decision, and give voters the opportunity to select the candidate of their choosing, the former president’s lawyers and the Colorado Republican Party have made multiple arguments. States, they say, have no authority to enforce Section 3 of the 14th Amendment without the passage of federal legislation. They also contend that Section 3 applies to those who took oaths to serve in Congress or a state legislature, but not to serve as president. In addition, Trump’s lawyers say he did not engage in an insurrection.

If a majority of justices agree with Trump on any one of those arguments, the court could allow the former president’s name to remain on the ballot.

Attorneys for the six Colorado voters who challenged Trump’s eligibility have said the Constitution’s language barring insurrectionists from office is clear; that it applies to presidents; and does not require an act of Congress to be enforced. They urged the justices in a filing Thursday to abide by the finding from Colorado’s top court that the former president intentionally incited his supporters to violence on Jan. 6, 2021, to disrupt the certification of the election — and exacerbated the attack while it was ongoing.
Of the nine sitting justices, only Justice Clarence Thomas was on the bench when the court issued its 2000 decision about the vote count in Florida in Bush v. Gore. But his colleagues are certainly mindful of the lasting impact the ruling had on the court’s image.

Years after she retired, the late Justice Sandra Day O’Connor, for one, expressed misgivings that the court had gotten involved in the case, acknowledging the ruling “gave the court a less than perfect reputation.”
“No doubt they have learned some lessons from that," said McConnell, a former federal appeals court judge. “They do not want to be in a position where they look like they’ve decided an American election.”

I left the party just as Trump was wrapping up the nomination. No power on earth could make me a democrat. If God sent me to do it, I might end up in the belly of a fish.

Putting this issue aside, obviously SCOTUS will keep Trump on the ballot, the political issue to think about is how and when the House is going to resolve the budget mess, will we have a shutdown, and how long will it last.

the political issue to think about is how and when the House is going to resolve the budget mess, will we have a shutdown, and how long will it last.
With resignations and expulsions, the GOP house margin has slipped from 4 to 2. The Speaker is all about politics and not governing. Good luck.

Last edited:
Spoken like a true Democrat.
Thanks. Have I ever denied as much? It's both funny and telling that you think that was some kind of jab.

See that's the nice thing about being honest about your politics... you (the royal you) don't have to be bothered with trying to hide behind a bunch of BSAB moral equivalence doubletalk or disingenuous claims of being an independent and similar. I'm a Democrat and I'm voting for Biden, simple. If you (the royal you) are a Republican, you're voting for...?...?

It would be a rather trivial matter to prove he was already President twice.

Oh really? Did a court convict him of being President twice? Has he even been charged with being President twice?

(This is how stupid it sounds when people protest that Trump hasn't been charged/convicted with insurrection btw)

Top Bottom