General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
There’s a possible but unpopular answer in whittling away the power of the small states in the federal government: reduce the role of the federal government.

I’m not sure how much of the responsibilities undertaken by them can be delegated back to the states: there are compelling arguments for having standardized law in some things, but does that outweigh the loss of local control?

I guess I’m fairly satisfied with the status quo—I don’t think the small states, if you go out and visit them yourself, are these great bastions of unearned wealth fueled by cosmpolite largesse.

I agree with removing the federal layer as Amadeus suggests.

No, I explicitly disagreed with this. Cited example, they aren't in governance now, nor have they reliably been. If tracking correlation between federal control and the party of senators elected from small states.

In fact, I said the representation may not be preferential enough to yield measurables(rather than aspirationals) on equity. Which is why this whole thing is hilariously regressive. Hygro at least manned up to an efficiency and utilitarian angle.

And yet it is Republicans who get their policy preferences into law. And it is the results of Republican policy preferences that you are *****ing and whining about. And which states elect the most Republicans?

they aren't in governance now

They control the House, and more importantly the Supreme Court. They sure are "in governance now." The Supreme Court is practically the most important policymaking organ in the federal government these days.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate comment deleted. The_J

Which is why the wrong voters' representative power makes them powerless, if I'm groking along with the argument. We must protect the fruits of the citizens' labor, sometimes from themselves.

Last edited by a moderator:
Moderator Action: Inappropriate comment removed. The_J

Lmao, are you kidding? You see the statements "the GOP has a majority in the House", "6 of 9 justices were appointed by a GOP President (and 5 of those by a GOP president who lost the popular vote)" as equivalent to Moderator Action: Inappropriate comment removed. The_J

That is completely insane. like it's difficult to overstate just how insane that is. Especially when your actual position is that urban middle class people shadowcontrol everything.

So you're arguing a 6/9 majority on one branch, though the 3 are more similar than the 6, which just makes average distribution sense. Then there is a razor thin majority in the lower house in the legislative branch, actually now being saved from across the isle, from its own crazies, by the more monolith umbrella party. Then there is a minority in the upper house. And then there is the executive branch, in its relative solidarity.

And this is the situation you argue is "in control." Yeah, I might as well be spitting about Jews if this is our level of acuity.

And all this, yet, is still a political argument to draw attention away from the systemic regressive change to the system being argued. Not poorly, but still. Ugh.

Moderator Action: Inappropriate comment removed. The_J

This is some real "log off and take a long hard look at yourself" posting here

And this is the situation you argue is "in control." Yeah, I might as well be spitting about Jews if this is our level of acuity.

No, "in control" is the strawman you made up. What you said was "they aren't in governance now" which is just not true.

I think they could even be said to meet the higher standard of "in control," when you factor in also the filibuster (or whatever that word is for lifting it: cloture) and the fact that getting nothing done is a win for the right. The totality of the system lets them impose that preference--the very definition of conservatism--on the totality of the population. And is massively skewed toward doing so.

Last edited:
In addition, the GOP is trying to funnel all of their culture war issues to SCOTUS to get favorable rulings while they can.

Yeah, that's in Lex's point from earlier: that Scotus has become our chief lawmaking body, effectively.

I would, but hitherto CFC coverage on the protests was confined to the Gaza thread which is now locked. I'm just looking to manufacture consent

Ah, yes, any such thread risks quickly getting locked.

I would, but hitherto CFC coverage on the protests was confined to the Gaza thread which is now locked. I'm just looking to manufacture consent
Moderator Action: If it is focused on college unrest and not the activity in Gaza, no problem.

Yeah, that's in Lex's point from earlier: that Scotus has become our chief lawmaking body, effectively.
Really? The budget, year after year, the detailed lists of governance. The regulations, myriad, from the executive, and its the SCOTUS, because "it's not ours, and things that aren't always ours are structurally wrong."

No, "in control" is the strawman you made up. What you said was "they aren't in governance now" which is just not true.
Alright, Lex. In control of the levers of government, then. But that's already been detailed by branch now, I'm short on time, and I'm finding the objections tedious, tbh.

I would like some more verses you like in the other thread. It's nice to see sobering you have passion for that you aren't angry at. Book Denethor sounds interesting, too. Was in middle school last time I slugged through those.

Bernie Sanders announces he will seek reelection for his Senate seat​

Sen. Bernie Sanders announced Monday that he would seek a fourth term in the US Senate, calling the upcoming election cycle “the most important national election in our lifetimes.”

At 82, the Vermont progressive – an independent who caucuses with Democrats – is the second-oldest member of the Senate. If reelected, he would be in his late 80s at the end of a potential fourth term.
Sanders is finishing his third term in the Senate after 16 years in the House, making him the longest-serving independent member in Congress in US history.
https://www.cnn.com/2024/05/06/politics/sanders-will-seek-reelection-to-senate/index.html

US Senate terms are six years FTR.

So what do folks think? Too old? Or not? For my part, I say go for it Bern, but I haven't really complained much about members of the US Government being too old.

@Kyriakos ?

I got a fundraising text from Bernie yesterday, have to admit I was kinda surprised. I wonder if he figures the GOP will take the seat if he doesn't go for it again?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom