General Politics Three: But what is left/right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump likes Johnson. This ouster attempt wasn't driven by Trump. So none of the Rs felt they had to get on board. If Trump had signaled that he wanted it, Johnson would be out.

It could be kind of a good sign. Here's what I have in mind. Greene is trying Trump-esque arguments: especially the "the other party is the enemy party" bit. This suggests those don't fly in themselves, just in the specific cases where they have Trump's endorsement. That in turn suggests that once Trump is out of the picture, maybe that particular lunacy can fade.

Agreeing sufficiently to get a bill passed =/= uniparty.
Greene stated openly at one point that she was "taking over" MAGA and that MAGA had gotten bigger than/outgrown Trump. She really thought (or thinks) that she can harness the MAGA voters and emerge as the new leader, maybe even pushing Trump aside in the process.

RFK Jr suffered from a brain worm and other health problems​

US presidential candidate Robert F Kennedy Jr says he is in "robust health" following reports that he suffered from a brain parasite more than a decade ago.
The New York Times reported that Mr Kennedy also previously suffered from mercury poisoning and heart problems.
Mr Kennedy has made health a key part of his campaign.
He has contrasted his physical fitness with that of Joe Biden and Donald Trump.
"Questioning Mr Kennedy's health is a hilarious suggestion, given his competition," his campaign said in a statement Wednesday.

"Mr Kennedy travelled extensively in Africa, South America, and Asia in his work as an environmental advocate, and in one of those locations contracted a parasite," the campaign said.
"The issue was resolved more than 10 years ago, and he is in robust physical and mental health."
The New York Times report, based on a divorce deposition, said that in 2010 Mr Kennedy experienced severe memory loss and brain fog.
He sought treatment and said in the deposition two years later that a doctor told him the issues could be "caused by a worm that got into my brain and ate a portion of it and then died".
Worms do not eat brain tissue, experts say, but the idea is a non-medical or layman's understanding of what parasites might do if they enter the central nervous system.

Dr Phillip Budge, an associate professor of infectious diseases at the Washington University School of Medicine in St Louis, said that parasite larvae can migrate to the brain and create cysts, in a condition known as neurocysticercosis.
"The cysts don't absorb any brain tissue, they simply create a space for the parasite to live," potentially pushing aside small parts of the brain, Dr Budge said.
"The cysts can occur in many places in the body. They usually don't case any trouble unless they are in the brain," he said.
And the effects of brain parasites depend on where they end up: "It's like real estate: it's all about location location location."
"I'm unaware of any examples where a parasite affected cognition," said Dr Arnab Chatterjee, vice president of medicinal chemistry at the Center for Antiviral Medicines and Pandemic Preparedness in La Jolla, California.

Neither Dr Budge nor Dr Chatterjee have treated Mr Kennedy or have any specific knowledge of his health history.
However, Dr Chatterjee noted that another condition that RFK Jr reported suffering - mercury poisoning - does have a strong link to neurological problems.
In the deposition, Mr Kennedy also said he had elevated levels of mercury in his blood due to a diet heavy in tuna fish. He reduced his fish intake and underwent treatment for the condition.
After a career as an environmental lawyer, Mr Kennedy rose to prominence as the head of anti-vaccine organisation Children's Health Defense, formerly known as the World Mercury Project.
Mr Kennedy, 70, frequently talks about health on the campaign trail and has tried to contrast himself with Mr Biden, 81, and Mr Trump, 77.

However, the member of America's most famous political family has suffered from a variety of other health problems.

He is a former heroin addict and contracted hepatitis C from intravenous drug use, and has suffered from atrial fibrillation, a type of abnormal heartbeat.
The condition has put him in hospital at least four times, he told the New York Times, although he says has not had an episode for a decade.
He also has a noticeably strained, raspy voice caused by spasmodic dysphonia, a disorder that causes involuntary spasms in the muscles of the voice box.

On social media, he responded to the reports of his parasite by writing: "I offer to eat 5 more brain worms and still beat President Trump and President Biden in a debate."
Although Mr Kennedy is mounting the most popular third-party or independent challenge in decades and could swing the result, polls show him trailing far behind the front-runners.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68980823

“People have withdrawn as per their discretion and these are absolutely baseless allegations,” said Zafar Islam, a national spokesperson for the BJP. “Thousands of candidates are fighting in this election across hundreds of seats peacefully – these allegations are only aimed at maligning the BJP’s image.”

That's quite the name for a BJP spokesman.

Does he think he's he'll counted among the good ones?

“There has been extreme pressure upon me, and I have been mentally tortured to the point where I gave up,” Chauhan told Al Jazeera. He claimed that “BJP people” approached his extended family to pressure him to quit. If they could reach his family, they could hurt them too, he feared.
“So I backed off and withdrew my nomination,” he said.
Father to three daughters, Chauhan released a video on April 21, sobbing and alluding to a threat that he received of consequences – including for his very life – if he did not back down. Many other candidates also pulled out from the contest against Shah.
“I have a responsibility to raise my daughters,” he said, adding that he moved his children to safety outside Gujarat, which is ruled by the BJP, before coming back to vote on May 7. “I’m not financially well-off and I cannot afford to resist the BJP because anything can happen to our lives.”

The funniest part of all that is that the guy Obama was gonna put on the Court was a fudging Republican anyway, as we've now found out in the course of the Biden Special Prosecutor saga.

And that's kinda the problem; Republicans appoint neo-Nazis to the court while Democrats appoint Republicans to the Court.
I forgot to respond to this back when you posted, because it was already getting a little off-topic for the Thread... In any case, we haven't been using a SCOTUS Thread recently so I'll respond here.

What I wanted to point out, was that KBJ and Sotomayor aren't "Republicans" by any stretch of the imagination. I know that you didn't necessarily mean "Republicans" literally... I'm not holding you to that... I get that you are talking more about Garland being a conservative leaning moderate, regardless of his actual party affiliation.

Anyway the reason I brought this up was to thank you for that post about "Sorkinization"... Obama's nomination of Garland seems to be a really good example of that phenomenon. As I've said, previously, Obama should have went all in and done a recess appointment of a Justice and just let the Republicans set their hair on fire trying to undo it. At the time IIRC Srikanth Srinivasan was the leading candidate, but the concern was that he was too liberal, as well as ethnically/racially Indian, so he had no chance to be confirmed by Senate Republicans. Garland was supposed to be the statesman-like compromise/olive branch offer that Republicans couldn't refuse, at least not in good faith.

Of course, that approach backfired, as Mitch McConnell demonstrated that he wasn't the slightest bit concerned with acting in good faith.

Of course, that approach backfired, as Mitch McConnell demonstrated that he wasn't the slightest bit concerned with acting in good faith.

IMO the real backfire was that this intransigence, rather than being punished by all those moderates we're constantly told are the center of gravity of American politics, was rewarded by voters with a GOP trifecta.

Might actually give you a hint at the justices they tend to like. The attention span of people for justices borne in mind. No good asides on the glories of baseball out of the court recently.

Heheh. You do need to strike out before you can try to steal first.

If only the framers had put in shame as a requirement for office.

Virginia school board votes to restore Confederate names​

A Virginia school board has approved a motion for two schools to revert to their Confederate names following a debate that bitterly divided a town.
The Shenandoah County School Board voted 5-1 to reinstate the names of Stonewall Jackson High and Ashby-Lee Elementary in Quicksburg.
Community members had been pushing for a reversal, arguing the 2020 name change was unpopular.
The vote marked the first such U-turn anywhere in the US.
A large crowd flocked to the school board's public meeting on Thursday to listen to a series of arguments from residents on both sides of the issue.
Following the May 2020 murder of George Floyd and a summer of racial justice unrest, Virginia and other states took down Confederate statues from public spaces.
In a letter to school board chairs across the state, then-Democratic Governor Ralph Northam said: "It is time to change school names and mascots that memorialize Confederate leaders or sympathizers."
The Shenandoah County School Board took action three days later, moving to rename Stonewall Jackson High as Mountain View High, and Ashby-Lee Elementary as Honey Run Elementary.

The schools were named after Confederate generals Robert E Lee and Stonewall Jackson, and cavalry commander Turner Ashby.

In doing so, the six-member panel also approved a resolution condemning racism and affirming its "commitment to an inclusive school environment for all".
But some critics slammed the renaming effort as a hasty and undemocratic move, and have since attempted to restore the schools' Confederate names as local elections reshaped the school board.
A 2022 vote on the matter failed by a tied 3-3 vote - but the three who voted against the move have since been replaced on the school board.
In April, a local conservative community group, the Coalition for Better Schools, brought up the request again, pointing to citizen surveys it conducted that "indicate overwhelming support for this restoration".
"These groups hold historical significance," the group wrote in a letter to the school board, and "revisiting this decision is essential to honor our community's heritage and respect the wishes of the majority."

According to local media, the group says it will raise private funds to cover expenses related to the name reversal, such as changing school signage.
Its effort is drawing attention across the state, with the Virginia chapter of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), a civil rights organisation, urging the school board in a letter on Wednesday to "use your power in a way that positively impacts all your district's children and their families".
Neil Thorne, a local resident campaigning against the U-turn with a group called Claim the Names, warned "it will indelibly damage our community's reputation".
Minority members of the community still recall when Stonewall Jackson High was "whites-only" and they had to be bussed to schools in adjacent counties, he said.
"The naming of these schools was not incidental but reflected the segregated policies of the time," he said in a statement.

"The people who suffered through this are not past strangers - they are people we know, they are our friends and neighbours."
Shenandoah County, in northern Virginia, was once a stronghold of the pro-slavery South, with its ample valley providing food, security and transportation advantages.
During the US Civil War, Confederate forces waged several successful military campaigns against the Union army there.
The county is now home to more than 44,000 people, and is predominantly white.
Black residents often live and work in towns where Confederate flags are displayed on front porches. Many of those who fly the banner defend it as a celebration of heritage, not a symbol of hatred.
https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-68985412

Ann Coulter tells Vivek Ramaswamy she would never vote for him ‘because you’re Indian’​

Failed 2024 Republican primary candidate Vivek Ramaswamy praised Ann Coulter for having the “guts” to make racist remarks directly to his face on his podcast this week. Ms Coulter, a conservative firebrand with a history of openly racist remarks, appeared on the businessman’s podcast, “Truth”, on Wednesday for an episode titled, “The N Word: Nationalism.”

Mr Ramaswamy welcomed Ms Coulter by telling her that he is a fan. She replied that he is “bright and articulate” and notes that she wouldn’t be “allowed” to say that to him, if he was “an American Black.” She goes on to say that, even though she agreed with him more than most other GOP primary candidates, she would not have voted for him to be president because he is Indian.
She said: “I agreed with many, many things you said during your campaign, in fact probably more than most other candidates when you were running for president. But I still would not have voted for you because you’re an Indian.”

She then claimed that the “core national identity” in the United States is a “WASP” - a White Anglo-Saxon Protestant.

“[That] doesn’t mean we can’t take anyone else in—a Sri Lankan, a Japanese, or an Indian—but the core around which the nation’s values are formed is the WASP”, she continued.
Following the podcast, Mr Ramaswamy posted on X that he agreed with Ms Coulter on dual citizenship but disagreed with her reasoning on why she wouldn’t vote for him. However he added that he admired her “guts” for telling him. “Ann Coulter told me flat-out to my face that she couldn’t vote for me ‘because you’re an Indian,’ even though she agreed with me more than most other candidates,” he wrote. “I disagree with her but respect she had the guts to speak her mind. It was a riveting hour.”
Congressman Ted Lieu, whose family immigrated to the US from Taiwan, said that he wasn’t surprised by Ms Coulter’s racism but expressed sympathy for Mr Ramaswamy’s response.

“I wasn’t surprised that Ann Coulter made a racist statement about Vivek,” he posted on X. “What surprised me is the weakness and lack of self respect of @VivekGRamaswamy. He’s actually promoting this episode and praising the person who spewed raw racism to his face. I feel sorry for Vivek.”
https://www.independent.co.uk/news/...nn-coulter-vivek-ramaswamy-vote-b2542432.html

This reminded me a lot of how Senator Tim Scott (R NC) allowed Trump to humiliate him in a desperate attempt to curry favor for Trump's VPOTUS list.

Ramaswamy's spinelessness is not the story.

This. Is. White. Nationalism.

In so many words. Naked. Unhesitating. Unflinching. Unrepentant.

Articulated not by someone on the margins, but by someone regarded a thought-leader* of the right.

(Should future discussions ever need an indicator of whether this premise exists onlly among a fringe Alabama rednecks or is CENTRAL to the right's present self-conception, here is Exhibit A.)

(And note the structure: there is a "we" authorized to let others in, but only in a non-threatening, one-at-a-time fashion: a Sri Lankan, a Japanese.

*:vomit:

Last edited:
Since Ann Coulter has since unsurprisingly tried to deny that she said this... here is the video at the time (7:14) where she actually makes the statement:

As an aside, I think the story can be and is, both. Note the look of dismay on Ramaswamy's face when Ann Coulter patronizes him (at 7:00), while simultaneously and quite ironically acknowledging, that if she said something like that to someone Black, it would be regarded as offensive... apparently failing to recognize, that it is equally condescending, and offensive directed towards someone Indian in that context. Ramaswamy knows he is being condescended, he knows it is offensive... but he visibly swallows his pride, in order to continue the interview and kiss up to Coulter.

It's like everyday life. Imagine that.

Ramaswamy knows he is being condescended, he knows it is offensive... but he visibly swallows his pride, in order to continue the interview and kiss up to Coulter.
Well, yes, he gives us an image of how "an Indian" will have to comport himself if Coulter's idea about our nation's "core identity" prevails.

Well, yes, he gives us an image of how "an Indian" will have to comport himself if Coulter's idea about our nation's "core identity" prevails.
That's why I said Ramaswamy's minstrel-dancing spinelessness is indeed part of the story, not just Coulter's casual, shameless racism.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom