get a life

High_Elf_Lord-M

Chieftain
:eek: ]
well another hard week draws to an end, my GF is going out tonight with her pals, all my freinds are going out nd im looking foward to another night of war and destruction in civ4, (its ruining my life just like Conquests did!)
:cry: why am i so addicted to this game lol, i think i need help im walking about plotting isabellas demise, planning my next invasion > its not real lol, well done to sid meiers for yet another great civ release!

yes talking to yourself helps stop the addiction ?

See the problem with you is your so obsessed that your rehease it over and over in your head...but that only feeds that addiction more and more...cause your thinking more and more about playing or in this case stoping playing(stoping evokes mental imagery of playing and that leads to more addiction...reduced self control)

So to stop just put down the mouse and turn it off

Try to set limits on your play time..ie. thurs for 2 hours a week(ie. relearning self control)

willowmound your not helping him :)

Anyways i only play 1 hour a week cept for today but i still need a real life

I have a wife and kids but how do i get a girlfriend and a friend(my best friend is spot the dog)

Well at least this isn't the breakup thread, where a man must choose between a woman and a computer game. Personally I feel that, while conquering an entire civilization is fun and all, conquering a single human mind is so much more satisfying...

francois9 said:
you are living in denial, buddy :D
It is a harder game than Civ, I will say that.
And I love denial, it's my favorite stage of death.

Last May I got surge of addiction myself. I would play at night until sunrise and then I just had to get off the computer cause my sisters would wake up and see me. Its amazing what shame can make you do. Some people just couldn't resist looking in the mirror as they wash their hands (lets hope we all wash our hands) but if someone was looking they wouldn't dare glance up at their own most interesting image. Convince yourself that you would look like a dork if your friends saw you do nothing but play computer games. You could just play the same setting over and over again til you get sick of epic, huge pangea map, persians,and two other civs. Another idea that might work making your time on the computer uncomfortable. Hide your mouse pad, sit on a step stool, turn off the heat when you play. Spray the area with a smell you know you'll get sick of, or get the smell of dog on it.
Read all the complaints about the game in this forum.
You might just have to get involved in sports.

You might just have to get involved in sports.
The only kind of 'sport' i like is sex :D But the problem is that it's as addictive as Civ and it also takes a lot of time to really enjoy it :crazyeye: :p
Though it's healthier for sure ;)

High_Elf_Lord-M said:
:eek: ]
well another hard week draws to an end, my GF is going out tonight with her pals, all my freinds are going out nd im looking foward to another night of war and destruction in civ4, (its ruining my life just like Conquests did!)
:cry: why am i so addicted to this game lol, i think i need help im walking about plotting isabellas demise, planning my next invasion > its not real lol, well done to sid meiers for yet another great civ release!

You've got it bad, you think you've got a GF...

I had a life and trust me, it's overated.

Seriously, I go to work for 40 hours a day and I'm considered pretty good at what I do. I'm 48 and married with two kids out of the house and a grandson I love to see every weekend.

I watch some sports on TV, mostly NFL football and I can be pretty nifty around the house. I also collect vinyl records, mostly 70's rock, and I burn them on CD's for a hobby.

So during my downtime, if I'm not playing my Civ game then what am I doing? What do most folks do? They watch TV.

I figure that if I'm going to spend 3-4 hours in front of a screen it might as well be one that is interactive. It might as well be one that challenges me and my somewhat limited intellect.

Have you watched TV lately? I mean, c'mon, are we Civ fanatics really that deviant when you consider the garbage that passes for TV entertainment these days? Reality shows, sex-based sitcoms and crap series just aren't worth my time and if that's considered strange, then exususe me!
The best series are considered to be Lost and Invasion and all they are just X-file clones that attempt to jerk their audience around for a half dozen years with subplots that lead absolutely nowhere.

Yes, on my day off I might spend as much as 12 hours straight on a Civ game. So what! I'm not gambling, I don't drink or drug and the fact is this game has probably saved me thousands of dollars in entertainment costs.

I'm grateful for my age and that of my wife's because it's a low maintainence issue. We can be at opposite ends of the house and still feel together while we do our seperate interests. I feel bad for you young guys with your social pressure and tetesterone levels but, believe me, you're not missing a whole lot.

The significant poeple in your life should come to you naturally and not forced through arranged human interaction and when it does happen it'll be wonderful, sometimes you just have to be patient.

Who knows, maybe she'll be a Civ fan too. You can play each other in multiplayer scenarios and if you win collect your "spoils of victory".

Jecrell said:
Well at least this isn't the breakup thread, where a man must choose between a woman and a computer game. Personally I feel that, while conquering an entire civilization is fun and all, conquering a single human mind is so much more satisfying...

If i had too then my mrs will lose cuz the pc never moans cuz i bin playing all night long and it always lets me turn it on ;)

:D

Yea stupid tv junks and eating like there is no more tomorrow.
Fat and watching brainless movies or shows. :D

At least we are debating things and moving our arms and fingers and we don't get really bored and no annoying commericials bothering you.

To be honest people are just complainers and to happy to point fingers to other people, like if they really care. They just care about to feel you bad when having fun.

Civilzation (the first) was very addictive for me at a young age (6/7); while my friends were palying Mario and Sonic, I was playing as Germany on Earth on Warlord. (I never went higher - I was too young to go any higher!!).

Now I'm at university studying International History & Politics, a subject I developed a love for thanks to...... yup, Civilzation! (!)

Now, however, I balance my playing time much more. I go out every other night and when I'm not going out, I do my essays, seminar prep etc. After I've done my work I reward myself with a few hours on Civ! It makes me get the work done, true me! :D

At weekends, though, when I've got no work to do and everyone is doing their work, I "nerd out" and buy a bottle of Pepsi (for caffeine) and will sit and play Civ IV for 6-ish hours :blush:

My friends are always trying to drag me out of the house. For what? To drink beer. Why do I need to go out to drink beer? I've got a bottle of scotch right here! :crazyeye:

It won't hurt you (except maybe some repetitive stress injury from your mouse).

Oddly, I haven't gotten addicted to Civ4. I was definitely a Civ3 addict. I'd dream about the game I was involved in, I'd wake up early to play, I'd sneak out of bed after my girlfriend had fallen asleep so I could play ...

Not the same with Civ4. Yesterday I had the house to myself and I only played four hours. I stopped so I could do laundry and read.

However, I did come home for lunch on Thursday and played for three hours (whoops -- my excuse for turning an hour lunch into a three hour lunch was a "personal emergency, but everything's OK now, thanks.")

Sell your CD on e-bay and use the money to buy beer to forget about your civ adiction.

Half Fast said:
Another idea that might work making your time on the computer uncomfortable. Hide your mouse pad, sit on a step stool, turn off the heat when you play. Spray the area with a smell you know you'll get sick of, or get the smell of dog on it.

I don't think that's going to work. When I first moved into my current apartment, I would play Civ3 on my laptop. I didn't have a proper chair, only a horribly uncorfortable plastic folding one, I didn't have a mouse pad and it was freezing cold. But it didn't stop me from playing! It never stank in here though. Maybe that would have done it...

I suggest doing what I did two weeks ago in order to preprare for finals; Break the disk in half and throw it out a five story window. :o

First off, a little advice for Lord_M... it's all about self-discipline. If you're not going to train yourself to step back and tell yourself that it's only a game and that you'll have three or four hours on the weekend to pick up where you left off, then nobody's going to help you break the Civ habit. I know how you feel about it. It's more fun than getting stoned or watching crap "entertainment" that most of us wouldn't get caught doing while alive, and it provides you with a way to "play God" without getting in trouble for it.

However, when you find that that refrigerator is getting empty and the landlady's kicking at your door, it's definitely time to quit...

I'd love to play an online game against the guy who plays Civ while drunk, though.

Top Bottom