Getting Started

@rtlmd317 Unfortunately, loading from inside the game kills some mod functions and thus it's always better to load from the menu to avoid bugs. It's not a secret plot to not make you reload for different battle outcomes (I also did that in earlier games :)).

It's also the same reason why it's advised to not do fights or end turns in strategic view, as some events don't seem to fire in strategic view. Or has that been solved by G&K/some patch?

Sorry but I don't understand.

What is meant by 'loading from inside the game' as different from loading from the menu?
Don't all loads/reloads have to be done from a menu?
I think I'm missing something here.

Does it mean every time someone wants to load a saved game they have to get completely out of G&K and the modes?

To put it simply: While you are playing a game of civilization (as in you see the map and your empire and so on), you can't load. You need to exit the game, but not to windows. I'm not totally sure if you need to activate the same mods again or if you can load directly from the first menu, but that doesn't take much more time, so I never tested it/asked.

So basically, load games only this way: Start the Gods and Kings -> Mods -> Activate the same mods that were active when you saved the game -> Next -> Single Player -> Load Save.

@GMO

In the vanilla (unmodded) game there was an option under the "Menu" (top-right corner) to load games from within an active game.

In the CiVup/GEM mod this has been removed due to this problem.
http://forums.civfanatics.com/showthread.php?p=10901376#post10901376

Thalassicus removed the ability to load games from within an active game to stop users having this problem occur.

To load a game now requires a few more steps but the end result is more stable.

So, from the "Menu" select "Quit to Main Menu" and from there choose "Mods","Single Player" and "Load Saved Game".

This allows all the mod's code to be correctly initialized in the game engine's database. Or words to that effect.;)

Hi. I just saw this and I have a couple of questions:

1) Are the Expansion Pack mod(s) compatible with some other mods like InfoAddict, CityLimits, and Tomatekh's new Civ mods?

2) I have G&K. Do I need to install and enable all 3 mods (Vem, Gem, Civup) or just 2 mods (Gem and Civup)?

Thanks.

1) the wiki page should have compatibility with other mods. I think city limits is being included and infoaddict is compatible.

2) No you don't need VEM.

1) the wiki page should have compatibility with other mods. I think city limits is being included and infoaddict is compatible.

2) No you don't need VEM.

OK, thank you.

Not sure if this is a WAI feature, or a bug, but all my iron resources only have a single iron resource...

Also, I've noticed that the unit banners sometime disappear for certain units.

Besides that, awesome mod! Thanks for all the time and effort! Feels like I have to learn the game again!

The quantity of a strategic resource per deposit depends on the size of the player territory. Large territories get resources spread over many small deposits, while small territories are more likely to get a few large deposits.

Unit banners disappearing are an issue introduced in G&K, that did not happen in vanilla. I've been trying to solve it, but the code for that part of the game is disorganized and hard to work with.

The spreading out of resources also makes buildings that improve those tiles more useful as there are more iron/horse/coal tiles on a given map to provide X resources if there are more that only give 1 or 2 rather than the default 6-8 drops that you could often get in vanilla.

Hi there.
I want to have different experience playing CiV and heard that this is a very good mod but I have few questions about this mod.
I have CiV with G&K. What is different from the original and what will change when I play?
What should i be aware when playing?
And what should I install? Just G&K enhanced or Unofficial patch and G&K enhanced?
One more thing
Does it need more PC resources to run? As I am playing on Laptop so CPU is limited I usually play small map size and don't have any problems with performance will this mod change anything?
Thank you.

Welcome DataTraveler :goodjob:

You can find a list of changes on Thal's Wiki. They are much too numerous to list here

Keep in mind that we are still in Beta so things are still changing pretty frequently.

You will want to load CivUp and Gem if you have G&K. Vem is for Vanilla users only. Use the Gem Beta version if you want the latest greatest but that is the one that sometimes contains bugs.

There have been some delays noted but I don't think that this uses significantly more resources than Vanilla.

I can tell you that once you start playing you will agree it is by far a better game with Gem than without.

Hope that helps.

Welcome DataTraveler :goodjob:

You can find a list of changes on Thal's Wiki. They are much too numerous to list here

Keep in mind that we are still in Beta so things are still changing pretty frequently.

You will want to load CivUp and Gem if you have G&K. Vem is for Vanilla users only. Use the Gem Beta version if you want the latest greatest but that is the one that sometimes contains bugs.

There have been some delays noted but I don't think that this uses significantly more resources than Vanilla.

I can tell you that once you start playing you will agree it is by far a better game with Gem than without.

Hope that helps.
Thank you :)
Is GEM and CUP in steam workshop updated to the latest version? :)

Yes and no. I think that Thal uses the workshop to keep the last known stable versions. But I am not confident of that because I usually use the latest Beta and I load them manually.

The newest Beta usually says Beta right in the label. The one that doesn;t say Beta will be the last stable version.

i had the choose production bug problem on first turn, but somehow it just disappeared

now the game just crashes on first or second turn, i cant play

what should i do?

@mazzone, make sure you are updated in civ5 patch wise first. 90% of the time that's what the cause is (a patch-mod mismatch).

Post in bug reports a lua.log if it persists after checking updates and go from there.

Is it possible to dl v2.5.1 anywhere? Got a saved game with that version, but somehow lost most of my mods due to some steam workshop problem recently, and now can only dl v2.5.2, which crashes when I try to load my save :(

I know, this may be an uttlery stupid question (well: it's even two of them) but I have to ask:

1. Can I play this modpack with the german version?
(I don't care about a translation as long as it will run)

2. I have G&K... so I need to enable vanilaUP+Enhanced + G&K UP + G&K Enhanced, right? (maybe I'm mixing things up, can't verify atm, not at home :crazyeye:)

I ask these question because Civ V crashes when I'm starting a game (after loading the mods and do my setup)

2) Vanilla UP+ Enhanced is only for non-GK play, don't load it as it will probably cause the crash-worthy conflicts. For GK, you only need GKUp+GEM (the last two from your list).

1. You can set the language to English which should put away all the weirdness. It is possible to play in German, but the text may be all crazy. We do need someone to translate the mod to German, as I can't get around to it, but maybe when the mod's awoken again :)

Top Bottom