Giant death Robots?

skip123

Chieftain
Hi,

When I became of this feature in the game I was more than skeptic. The game, as I saw it from day one was you re imagine the real world and the choices you make then impact on the possibilities of how the future turns out. I was well aware it was a fantasy and it was based on your own ethics and values. I once played the game with a quaker who wanted peace and non violence. I agree with his view but just for fun I constructed an invincible armada that he never saw coming.

But the death robot? The game already has advanced technologies. I am afraid the game is moving away from it's principles. It is a move in the wrong direction. Civilization is not a shoot em up video game.

You're a few years late to be complaining about that sir. The giant death robot has been a staple since Civ IV's second expansion. And even the first game ended with sending a colony ship to Alpha Centauri. Light sprinkles of sci-fi has always been part of the series.

The giant death robot has been a staple since Civ IV's second expansion.

I think you mean Civ 5, Civ 4 I think the guided missile cruiser was the most advanced unit, or stealth bomber.

But the death robot? The game already has advanced technologies. I am afraid the game is moving away from it's principles. It is a move in the wrong direction. Civilization is not a shoot em up video game.

No, it is not. But, it has always been a game based on ridiculous history and absurd conclusions. I mean lol... do you think the 'advisers' in II were meant to be taken seriously? What about the vibe of the Civ IV commercial? Was that serious too?

Civilization has always been a completely a-historic game that is about having fun. Hell, even in this version it explicitly states that it's not based in any sort of reality whatsoever during the opening credits.

What principles? Fun? I think VI has done a great job at it.

Civilization is not a shoot em up video game.
There are many in this forum that play it as such, and a large amount out in neverland doing similar.
The game has to cater to many tastes however I personally feel the likes of Gandhi and GDR just annoying.

It has never been a serious game in regards to historical accuracy.

If you want a very accurate game for the time period it covers... try Victoria : Heart of Darkness.

Accurate? Yes. Fun? No. Playing it feels like a job.

do you think the 'advisers' in II were meant to be taken seriously

When he yells to build city walls, I take him seriously. :D oh the world marvels at our scientific achievements sire. I'm going from memory, hopefully I got that right.

It's 1 unit of the last few future civs. Not a big deal. And real life isnt so far behind with drones and even combat robots for sports

I think you mean Civ 5, Civ 4 I think the guided missile cruiser was the most advanced unit, or stealth bomber.

No, Civ IV Beyond the Sword had the Assault Mech which is just the GDR under a different name. You have to enable the future age as a setting though.

To me a much better and fun choice would have been a clone army.

There were also clone armies in it. To be honest that is more sci-fi than giant robots though. Technologically and ethically we are capable of making giant death robots right now if we thought it would be worth the cost.

Probably stealth bomber in 4. But realistically subs + tactical nukes overshadowed everything else in late game civ 4 warfare. Defender advantage flipped to attacker and there was in effect no counterplay for nuke initiative. I think that was intentional, a way to force the end of a stalemate. Still, it is part of Civ's long trend of military dominance overshadowing all of the other game systems.

GDR is not practical or realistic in any sense, but the same is true of Civ 6's mechanics in general. Even ancient armies could march distances spanning many cities inside a year, much faster than any civ in the world could research technologies. Civ 6's model for climate change is straight up arcade mode. Wonders confer benefits more akin to some kind of magic totem than a physical structure in reality. Cities can sustain being "besieged" for literally decades.

They're a bit late in the game to matter too.

Probably stealth bomber in 4. But realistically subs + tactical nukes overshadowed everything else in late game civ 4 warfare. Defender advantage flipped to attacker and there was in effect no counterplay for nuke initiative. I think that was intentional, a way to force the end of a stalemate. Still, it is part of Civ's long trend of military dominance overshadowing all of the other game systems.

GDR is not practical or realistic in any sense, but the same is true of Civ 6's mechanics in general. Even ancient armies could march distances spanning many cities inside a year, much faster than any civ in the world could research technologies. Civ 6's model for climate change is straight up arcade mode. Wonders confer benefits more akin to some kind of magic totem than a physical structure in reality. Cities can sustain being "besieged" for literally decades.

They're a bit late in the game to matter too.

This post is completely absurd considering these "realism" complaints apply to every Civ game, and most strategy games in general. I'm not sure if your post is meant as some kind of satire or you just lack awareness.

This post is completely absurd considering these "realism" complaints apply to every Civ game, and most strategy games in general. I'm not sure if your post is meant as some kind of satire or you just lack awareness.

I'm pointing out the absurdity of *singling out* GDR. As in, it's strange to be okay with magic wonder totems and snail troops but not GDR.

I don't have a particular issue with any of them. It's a game first. In fact I wish Firaxis would remember that and do something about their controls/information presentation.

A GDR has one use... a way of having some fun while waiting around for a diplomatic victory. :sleep: Any other victory should be done before they are relevant.

Attachments

• CivilizationVI gdr_fun_while_waiting.png
    CivilizationVI gdr_fun_while_waiting.png
    3.2 MB · Views: 236
No, Civ IV Beyond the Sword had the Assault Mech which is just the GDR under a different name. You have to enable the future age as a setting though.

I don't know what version of Civ 4 they sold in Bergen, but my North american version of Civ 4 does not have such mental monstrosity.

DR I suspect everyone is fine with, it is the G I cannot see. They are meant to be OP but with so many techs?
To me a much better and fun choice would have been a clone army.

It's the J (Jumping) that is hard to tolerate.

I've managed to build 2 GDRs in one of the games I've played. And it was a few turns before domination. All it did was help me take the last capital.

It's really not a game changing thing, and honestly I probably would have preferred nukes anyways.

I don't know what version of Civ 4 they sold in Bergen, but my North american version of Civ 4 does not have such mental monstrosity.

It's the J (Jumping) that is hard to tolerate.

I think they're talking about the Civ IV BTS Scenario "Next War" which was a half-era of Future Tech and Units. Cyborgs, Bioweapons, the Assault Mech, Dreadnaughts, and the world is divided into Four Factions: America, Inc, Europa, The Global South, and Pan-Asia.

It...could had been better. A lot better. Famously, 20 total nukes is enough to turn Terra into gravel orbiting the sun. Somehow.

It should had been a mix of global warming, refugee waves, warfare, diminishing resources, and a scramble to the poles as they become more and more viable, but eh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom