Giant/Gigantic Map Sizes?

Thuellai

Warlord
Been playing this mod and really enjoying it, but I always feel crowded in, even on Huge maps (I tend to play towards rapid expansion strategies - admittedly this means I usually end up spawning a couple minor civs in the process, but I usually crush them really quick.)

So, has anyone modded in the giant/gigantic map sizes yet, or would be willing to do so?

There are two reasons I have not added giant map size to LoR:

1) People will try to play on that size with computers that can't handle it, and then will complain about MAFs and slow down.

2) Some map scripts take a lot of work to get to use a new mapsize; I'm not willing to code all the map scripts in the mod to do this.

But if we wanted to, how could we get LoR to load Giant/gigantic maps?
I've tried but Civ keeps shutting down.

Welcome to the forums JestersKing. To be honest I'm not really sure. I suggest you open a thread on it in the main forums, or alternatively try a search in the modcomps forums. Someone out there knows, unfortunately I do not.

At least I know that I have trouble loading a GEM I was making (192 x 180 tiles--read "Dragonxander PR's Earth 37 civs map" thread for some insight on the map). I was doing it with LoR 0.9.6, so I don't know if that had to do with it. Now, I'm gonna make a not-so-GEM (160 x 100 tiles) to replace it; & I hope it works well.

I think i've done it

after a crash course in XML and Civ4 modding, i've managed to create a few working bigger-than-huge map sizes. You should be able to download the script here: http://forums.civfanatics.com/downloads.php?do=file&id=13849

So far I've only tested the "Giant" and "Absurd!" sizes, and only for the first 100 turns or so on a normal speed game. I'm running a Dell Optiplex 270 P3 3.4Ghz proc. with 1g ram, so no problems there...

Top Bottom