Gilgamesh's music

TheLastOne36

Deity
Isn't gilgameshes music to... umm ahead of his time? It sounds like some kind of arabic music with some spanish influence. :crazyeye:

I LOVE Gilgamesh's music! :mad:

To be fair, does anybody has a clue what kind of music they had back in ancient Sumeria?

A better question is, do you want to listen to authentic music from the dawn of time? Clunk clunk clunk cla-clunk cla-clunk... you know that is all it would be :lol:

You are failing to realise we're talking about one of the very first civilisations. That means sophistication. Government, agriculture, warfare and art.

And lo! There's even a Wikipedia articled devoted entirely to Sumerian music.

To be fair, does anybody has a clue what kind of music they had back in ancient Sumeria?

No, but we do know for a fact that many ancient cultures used stringed instruments - predecessors of the lute were widespread, and it's not such a far stretch of the imagination that such an ancient instrument could play the tune used for Gilgamesh fairly similar to its modern heirs.

That said, inaccuracies abound when it comes to leader music. For example, as a Scandinavian I find that Ragnar's music sounds neither Scandinavian nor Viking-ish (historically and culturally that is, it fits quite well with your American-Saturday-morning-cartoon-fantasy-viking-stereotype :crazyeye: ) I still think it's pretty cool, though! It's all about providing a mood, and as such Gilgamesh' music succeeds brilliantly, even if it probably doesn't sound anything like actual Sumerian music.

By the way, did anyone here ever play "Lode Runner: The Legend Returns"? Gilgamesh' music reminds me a bit of the background music for the Lost City of Ur levels from that game.

I never said i didn't like it. It just doesn't seem right for me, for a leader of Sumeria, one of the oldest civs of all time, get's music to advanced for that timeline. :(

Don't second guess Sumerian music or otherwise you will face Gilgamesh's axe close and personal! :mad:

And lo! There's even a Wikipedia articled devoted entirely to Sumerian music.

With it's glaring lack off source references, that one's pretty useless. It did however provide this tantalizing link:
http://www.williamsound.com/gold_lyre_music_info.html

While the exact music from ancient Mesopotamia can never be recovered, Iraq has produced intruiging written evidence supporting the existence of sophisticated music theory and practice in Sumerian, Babylonian and Akkadian cultures.

Yeah. My point being: they didn't bang rocks and go "ugh".

Indeed. Gilgamesh instead bangs skulls on rocks and goes "ugh" before the "I capitulate to you Gilgy" screen comes in and the almost destroyed leader once again hears the gentle sound Sumerian lutes.

Yeah. My point being: they didn't bang rocks and go "ugh".

To be fair I never said or implied ugh, and I was thinking of something more than a rock. I was picturing simple percussion however, so I am definitely still wrong :D Interesting how early some of those things came to be, much earlier than I would have thought myself.

how can I listen to it without the game?
someone can put here a sample??

Top Bottom