Giving back cities to Vassal

Pocus

Warlord
Is it a feature that you CAN't give back a city to a vassal? I just liberated one of his from the barbarians, as a Lord Protector should do :D but he don't want it anymore... Suffice to say I don't need his crappy hovel !

It it showing up in red, or not at all? For some reason you can only liberate to vassals (I think that it was like that with permanent allies too before patch 3.13), never just gift them cities. If the city in question no longer has enough of his culture left (most of it having become barbarian), then it will not allow liberation, and in the case of vassals you can't just gift it.

I find this really annoying, and would like it changed.

the city is not listed yup and has been overrun by barbarians several time, so it can be that Lanun people are all dead out there!

Better to have it retaken and then I trash it once and for good.

Related question, can I build improvements in my vassal lands? roads and farms? Possible or not (I'm at work sorry I can't check!)

Interesting. I ran into this problem once as well. My poor vassal had two cities and one was taken by barbarians. When I took the city over, there was no option to hand it right over to the vassal. In the diplomacy windows, there was no option to gift the city either.

However, a while later, when I was thinking to give the vassal some techs, the city was on the list and I was able to gift it. I don't know what changed.

I like it this way. It prevents abuse, giving all useless cities to vassal and letting him suffer high maintenance. Before you couldn't EVER give cities to vassal- man that sucked, all vassals were 2 cities big. Ideally AI wold consider how big city is, how far away, how much would it cost to keep it and then decide if he will take it or not.

I believe it requires that they have enough of their culture in the city. It is possible for more of there culture to spread there after you retake the city.

Top Bottom