Global Warming is Stuck in the Ice

I should probably say given my experience of understanding when there's a so called bogus consensus is pretty open minded because I've seen the establishment mess things up, even the so called good guys, in ways that I really did know a thing or two. But in the process (like having to wade through alternative medicine) you get a pretty good eye for who the quacks are and who their victims of quackery are.

And I'm gonna say Dale you might be, as you've evolved in how you discuss the topic here, are either the best goddamn liar I've seen on CFC or you genuinely believe you're onto something that isn't just anti-liberal reactionism (it usually is with these things).

However my BS tolerance is now so far and above my open mindedness to non military non corporate research scientist culprit conspiracy theories.

So I can't follow your links in good faith. But I can say it's interesting.

I should probably say given my experience of understanding when there's a so called bogus consensus is pretty open minded because I've seen the establishment mess things up, even the so called good guys, in ways that I really did know a thing or two. But in the process (like having to wade through alternative medicine) you get a pretty good eye for who the quacks are and who their victims of quackery are.

And I'm gonna say Dale you might be, as you've evolved in how you discuss the topic here, are either the best goddamn liar I've seen on CFC or you genuinely believe you're onto something that isn't just anti-liberal reactionism (it usually is with these things).

However my BS tolerance is now so far and above my open mindedness to non military non corporate research scientist culprit conspiracy theories.

Dale has a tendency to quote studies that are on the low-impact side of the global warming research and to wade into name-calling and the like when the argument gets heated, but he does have a good understanding of climatology. He's one of the few posters, and probably the only one from the "it's not a big deal" camp, that I tend to learn from when I read climate change debates.

One of the problems the climate change debate has is that the probability distribution for possible human impacts has a long right tail. This is a problem for how people tend to debate this, because debate and skewed distributions don't seem to go along together.

The median outcome, as far as I understand it, seems to be that global CO2 concentrations reach something like ~560 ppm (~2x preindustrial), causing warming of something on the order of 2-3.5 C from present, not all of which even happens by 2100 (probably 1-2.5 C by then). Sea level rise is generally less than 1 m before 2100 under the IPCC's scenarios and rarely climbs beyond ~3 m even in the very long run.

A 2 C temperature change and 1 m sea level rise by 2100 would be very problematic, to say the least. But human civilization would survive, despite substantial costs (especially in areas near sea level, or in geographic areas that dry out or flood under the new climate regime). If anything, I expect humanity's ability to emit GHGs will be limited by the net energy we obtain from fossil fuels, petering out slowly over the course of the next 100 years despite improvements in technology (such as in extraction of tar sands, tight oil, and the like). We can only deplete nonrenewable resources so far before it becomes uneconomical to extract them.

There is, however, a large amount of uncertainty. It is far from obvious that ratcheting up the CO2 level to ~560 ppm will not trigger poorly-understood nonlinear effects such as saturation of carbon sinks, rapid ice sheet melt, ice-albedo feedback beyond what we expect, permafrost CO2 and CH4 release, and some amount of CH4 release from methane clathrates. These could amplify human CO2 emissions beyond what the IPCC expects based on the models we have constructed so far. There seems to be some sort of skew in the probability distribution of impact on humans (however you measure that) toward bad outcomes, but at the moment it does not appear the worst outcomes are probable.

So it depends on how you look at it. I think everybody is in agreement that continuing to burn fossil fuels indefinitely is unsustainable no matter the climate effects, and whatever climate effects do happen will probably make the outcome even worse. Ultimately, we will either be using less energy in the future or figure out how to get some combination of solar/wind/hydro/geothermal/Gen IV nuclear/etc to power industrial society. I doubt it will be an easy transition.

Not sure if it's been posted in this thread, but the IPCC's latest report (AR5) on the science as it's understood now is here. It's well over 1000 pages long in total, but it's divided into readable chapters and it is worth a skim.

I gave up trying to change everyone's mind. I saw there's no point. So now I just post officially observed facts.

I didn't link to anything, so I'm confused what you mean here.

Dale has a tendency to quote studies that are on the low-impact side of the global warming research and to wade into name-calling and the like when the argument gets heated, but he does have a good understanding of climatology. He's one of the few posters, and probably the only one from the "it's not a big deal" camp, that I tend to learn from when I read climate change debates.

A bit of a cack-handed compliment, but thanks.

There's also a small amount of science that shows it's quite possible that cooling increases extreme weather, not warming. But it's still early days for that line of thinking.

Dale, you are correct here, and the reason is natural. Heat tends to have a stronger tendency to oscillate more from the equator, than from the polar regions, because of our planet's location relative to the sun's activity. This means that as this heat moves northward, the movement is more uniform and less disruptive. A northern oscillation from polar regions are constantly fighting this effect, causing far more turbulence. Hence when the Little Ice age began at the opening of the 14th century, there is a good record of all the damage done to Europe, and Siberian, agriculture. The same type of flash flooding and storms for the last couple of years are along the same lines as back then. If you get the chance, watch "Little Ice Age, Big Chill". You can still watch it on YouTube I believe.

The point is that we are almost certainly headed into one more round of this Little Ice Age. And it is the sun, or better yet lack of solar flaring that is causing this change. We are definitely headed into a pattern of very tranquil solar minimums, which affect the planet's ability to absorb warmth from the sun. Think 'cosmic rays' and their influence.

There is just too much to cover to make a good point. But I keep a regular schedule of following sunspot activity on spaceweather.com, where it is updated on a daily basis. And the similarity of the last few sunspot cycles on this chart, while a few years old, shows just how similar our current cycle, and the previous two, match up with cycles 3,4, and 5, at the start of the last(Dalton) grand solar minimum.

We are entering at least this type of cooling phase, if we are lucky. If it proves to be worse, we may be blessed(irony) with perhaps another Maunder Minimum, which was the worst in the series.

And let's not forget, we are already overdue for the next round of glaciation, which has been going on for over 3 million years, which are far more regular than a menstrual cycle. ;)

One thing that the AGW folks forget is that climate is forever moving up or down. It never stands still. And in general warmer clime is better for life on this planet. I'm a physical anthropologist, and have studied human emergence over this last glaciation, and I can tell you that humans had a far tougher row to hoe then than during this present interglacial. Pray the next glaciation does not return during our lifetime. I'm as serious as a heart attack here.

One thing that the AGW folks forget is that climate is forever moving up or down.

I don't know if that's true in that it's only 'the one side'. How many times have we read "but Mars is warming too!!!"?

Apparently some seem to be operating on the assumption that AGW people lack basic scientific knowledge, ability to reason, and common sense.

As far as assumptions go, it probably ranks somewhere below "uranium aids digestion"

The solar arguments are interesting, because the current main AGW question is "where is the extra heat going? And is it going into a homeostatic mechanism or into a buffering system (that would have a capacity)? " The solar arguments work on the idea that the net forcings (post-CO2) are insignificant. It's a different set of ideas.

Apparently some seem to be operating on the assumption that AGW people lack basic scientific knowledge, ability to reason, and common sense.

As far as assumptions go, it probably ranks somewhere below "uranium aids digestion"

I tend to agree with Dale, that its not all that much worth arguing about. Stick around about ten or fifteen years and then consider all this. I'll place my bet on at least a Dalton Minimum.

And since the overwhelming statistics clearly show that "The Good News is that the Bad News is Almost Always Wrong" I'll just let it all work out naturally. But that doesn't stop the doomsaying from being trumpeted everywhere.

Oh, for some reason, it seems the Real thing to worry about, just never seems to be a big deal. Take Impactors: If anything will ruin everybody's day, weekend, month, year, or far more, it is the threat of getting hammered by an asteroid, or even worse, a comet. Now THAT is something to really be worried about. But nobody seems to care. Interesting.

And it is the sun, or better yet lack of solar flaring that is causing this change. We are definitely headed into a pattern of very tranquil solar minimums, which affect the planet's ability to absorb warmth from the sun. Think 'cosmic rays' and their influence.

I think you mean the lack of influence. I'll spoiler a post I made about this a few months ago:

Spoiler :
The scientist behind cosmic ray theory of cloud formation hasn't thrown in the towel just because someone doesn't like his ideas. :dunno:

Look into it, go see what you find and let us know!

OK - I'll google "why cosmic rays can't explain global warming"...

I'll even avoid SkepticalScience ;)

Here we go -
Kristjansson and his collegaues have used observations from so-called Forbush decrease events: Sudden outbreaks of intense solar activity that lead to a strong reduction of cosmic rays, lasting for a couple of days. The researchers have identified 22 such events between 2000 and 2005.
Based on data from the space-borne MODIS instrument, the researchers have investigated whether these events have affected cloud formation. While previous studies have mainly considered cloud cover, the high spatial and spectral resolution of the MODIS data also allows for a more thorough study of microphysical parameters such as cloud droplet size, cloud water content and cloud optical depth.
No statistically significant correlations were found between any of the four cloud parameters and galactic cosmic rays.

“Reduced cosmic rays did not lead to reduced cloud formation, either during the outbreaks or during the days that followed. Indeed, following some of the events we could see a reduction, but following others there was an increase in cloud formation. We did not find any patterns in the way the clouds changed”

This result is in line with most other research in the field. As far as Kristjansson knows, no studies have proved a correlation between reduced cosmic rays and reduced cloud formation.
Source:
http://phys.org/news148751093.html

Now, over on WattsUpWithThat, we find a post that presents a synopsis of a recent paper claiming to show the opposite. How are we to determine which to 'believe'?

Reading the press release from paper mentioned in WUWT we find:
in 1996 Danish physicists suggested that cosmic rays, energetic particles from space, are important in the formation of clouds. Since then, experiments in Copenhagen and elsewhere have demonstrated that cosmic rays actually help small clusters of molecules to form. But the cosmic-ray/cloud hypothesis seemed to run into a problem when numerical simulations of the prevailing chemical theory pointed to a failure of growth.

in the SKY2 experiment, with natural cosmic rays and gamma-rays keeping the air in the chamber ionized, no such interruption occurs. This result suggests that another chemical process seems to be supplying the extra molecules needed to keep the clusters growing.

“The result boosts our theory that cosmic rays coming from the Galaxy are directly involved in the Earth’s weather and climate,” says Henrik Svensmark, lead author of the new report. “In experiments over many years, we have shown that ionizing rays help to form small molecular clusters.
Source: http://www.dtu.dk/english/News/Nyhed?id={ABB2F1B4-F5F7-4452-BB39-9818EA7CB8F9}

Hmm, what's the difference? The press release cleverly ignores the lack of observational data supporting their claim. If cosmic rays can influence cloud formation, the study report I first linked shows that the effect is too small to distinguish from background noise. In other words, Cosmic Rays are very likely not influential in Climate Change.

Take Impactors: If anything will ruin everybody's day, weekend, month, year, or far more, it is the threat of getting hammered by an asteroid, or even worse, a comet. Now THAT is something to really be worried about. But nobody seems to care. Interesting.

Keep in mind that (edit:) nearly no one cares about anything. 30,000 kids die per day because of poverty? Yawn.) BUT
I think the dominant perception is 'someone else is handling it', which isn't as true as we'd like.
Here you go, here's a way you can help.
http://us5.campaign-archive1.com/?u=86e5e3fd66ecbdeda82b09373&id=31bda98146&e=9452f75043
(I'm on Planetary Resources's mailing list, which is how I got that link)

So, there ARE people working on it. Understaffed. Undermanned. (though I guess those are valuations that are better judged using some type of statistics, which I don't have). Will they notice Impactor X before timepoint Y, after which it's too late? And will the damage from Y be worth investing Z dollars pre-emptively? We didn't see the recent Chelyabinsk coming, but I don't think it caused any economic damage.

The problem with AGW is that the cost of mitigation rises over time, so we need to be slowing the putative issue while we collect the science to see how serious the issue is.

I'm not sure if it was posted in this thread or one of the other Global Warming threads, but there was a comment that solar panel production is terribly polluting and harsh on the environment. I noted that it has to be measured against the alternative, which is continued fossil fuel extraction. National Geographic is kindly provided some beautiful photos of the coal industry!

Full set here:
http://ngm.nationalgeographic.com/2014/04/coal/kendrick-photography

Spoiler bigpic :

No, everybody doesn't know that. And it continues to be highly controversial under what conditions it supposedly happens and why if it actually does occur.

It might be easier for water molecules to resolve into a crystalline lattice structure with more space and kinetic energy available at the margins (like a catalyst).

The problem with AGW is that the cost of mitigation rises over time, so we need to be slowing the putative issue while we collect the science to see how serious the issue is.
We can't. Political opposition is too strong. The very concept of science is seriously controversial in American politics, we can't even agree on evolution in this backwards country. Whenever people in the US try to do anything about climate issues, they get accused of being big government liberal fascist communazis out to get our freedom. It's maddening and futile, and as long as so many people with such radically differing views are forced to live in the same country and play by each others' rules, nothing can be accomplished. Even if we could overrun the political obstacles, it'd be too late.

It already is.

Already too late?

West Antarctic glacier loss appears unstoppable

Now, I'm having a hard time finding the sea level projections and how much was due to land ice melting. My impression was that most of the projection was due to thermal expansion. This might no longer be true, if this glacier can truly raise sea levels by a couple of meters.

As you know, the Earth is in one of its colder periods right now.

Scientifically speaking, the world is in an ice age right now. It's just that it's in a warm period of an ice age, known as an interglacial. Though popular media uses the term "ice age" to describe periods of maximum glaciation, the proper term for those periods is a glacial period in an ice age. "Ice age" apparently describes periods when there is any permanent ice on Earth at all - including at the poles. Therefore, we are in an ice age right now because permanent icecaps exist in Greenland, the Arctic Ocean, and Antarctica. Apparently, the Earth's natural state is to be permanent ice-free. Warm periods like that have made up around 80% of the planet's geological history, while ice ages have only made up around 20%, including the current one.

But let's assume that's all true. We are in a colder-than-average period, and the planet's normal temperature is hotter than this. And let's assume further that this ice age will eventually end and temperatures will rise naturally, even without any anthropogenic contribution whatsoever. Even if all that's true, it doesn't change the fact that warming temperatures could make things pretty difficult for the human race - even if those warming temperatures are supposedly the normal state and we are living in an abnormal period.

Unfortunately, the human race evolved in that abnormal period. The current ice age started 2.6 million years ago during the Pleistocene. Anatomically modern humans evolved within that time period. So it seems that this abnormal climate is what we are suited to, and not the "normal" one. Same no doubt goes for most of the plant and animal life on the planet today.

Which could mean that even if global warming proves to be entirely natural, and is just the Earth moving back to its normal warmer conditions - it won't make things any more pleasant for us. A scary thought.

Now, I'm having a hard time finding the sea level projections and how much was due to land ice melting. My impression was that most of the projection was due to thermal expansion. This might no longer be true, if this glacier can truly raise sea levels by a couple of meters.

SAR said:
Average sea level is expected to rise as a result of thermal expansion of the oceans and melting of glaciers and ics-sheets. For the IS92a scenario, assuming the "best estimate" values of climate sensitivity and of ice melt sensitivity to warming, and including the effects of future changes in aerosol, models project and increase in sea level of about 50 cm from the present to 2100. This estimate is approximately 25% lower than the "best estimate" in 1990 due to the lower temperature projection but also reflecting improvements in the climate and ice melt models. Combining the lowest emission scenario (IS92c) with the "low" climate and ice melt sensitivities gives a projected sea level rise of about 15 cm from the present to 2100. The corresponding projection for the highest emission scenario (IS92e) combined with "high" climate and ice melt sensitivities gives a sea level rise of about 95 cm from the present to 2100.

AR4 said:
Because understanding of some important effects driving sea level rise is too limited, this report does not assess the likelihood, nor provide a best estimate or an upper bound for sea level rise. Table SPM.1 shows model-based projections of global average sea level rise for 2090-2099.[10] The projections do not include uncertainties in climate-carbon cycle feedbacks nor the full effects of changes in ice sheet flow, therefore the upper values of the ranges are not to be considered upper bounds for sea level rise. They include a contribution from increased Greenland and Antarctic ice flow at the rates observed for 1993-2003, but this could increase or decrease in the future.

AR4 projections

It was always clear that the polar ice sheets might contribute significantly to overall short term sea level rise, but the uncertainties about the "how much" and "how fast" were always large. The later reports tended to play it more conservatively, and explicitely excluded potential changes in ice sheet dynamics, i.e. accellarated ice flow and melting.
And we still are very much in the dark, but the specialists on that topic appear to have the opinion that it will likely be much higher than the contribution from thermal expansion, up to 2 meter this century, and rising further after that.

(There's a more recent version of that figure, but I can't find it anymore.)

The marginally good news on that front is that there appears to be a stable regime before all the polar ice will melt:

As you know, the Earth is in one of its colder periods right now.

Scientifically speaking, the world is in an ice age right now. It's just that it's in a warm period of an ice age, known as an interglacial. Though popular media uses the term "ice age" to describe periods of maximum glaciation, the proper term for those periods is a glacial period in an ice age. "Ice age" apparently describes periods when there is any permanent ice on Earth at all - including at the poles. Therefore, we are in an ice age right now because permanent icecaps exist in Greenland, the Arctic Ocean, and Antarctica. Apparently, the Earth's natural state is to be permanent ice-free. Warm periods like that have made up around 80% of the planet's geological history, while ice ages have only made up around 20%, including the current one.

But let's assume that's all true. We are in a colder-than-average period, and the planet's normal temperature is hotter than this. And let's assume further that this ice age will eventually end and temperatures will rise naturally, even without any anthropogenic contribution whatsoever. Even if all that's true, it doesn't change the fact that warming temperatures could make things pretty difficult for the human race - even if those warming temperatures are supposedly the normal state and we are living in an abnormal period.

Unfortunately, the human race evolved in that abnormal period. The current ice age started 2.6 million years ago during the Pleistocene. Anatomically modern humans evolved within that time period. So it seems that this abnormal climate is what we are suited to, and not the "normal" one. Same no doubt goes for most of the plant and animal life on the planet today.

Which could mean that even if global warming proves to be entirely natural, and is just the Earth moving back to its normal warmer conditions - it won't make things any more pleasant for us. A scary thought.

Not to worry, warmer temps mean higher food production...if it happens.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/jan/16/another-year-of-global-cooling/

http://notrickszone.com/2013/04/26/...y-plain-to-see-youll-see-this-trend-continue/

Those all seem to predict '10 cm'-ish sea level rise due to ice melting?
Not really "predict".
It's more like a linear extrapolation from more or less recent data in AR4 and AR5.
Until a few years ago, the Antarctic ice mass balance was even positive.
It isn't anymore:

Greenland ice loss is accelarating, too:

I find it telling that you have to link to opinion pieces that aren't backed up by references in order to support your claim "warmer temps mean higher food production"

So until you back it up, I'll remind readers of the useful word "allegedly" ;)

Top Bottom