Golden age challenge/curiosity

Mahi

Prince
How long can you keep a golden age going?

It seems to me that you can keep a golden age going for a very very long time. I had a game where, I'm almost certain I had a golden age for 40 turns using happiness golden age combined with wonder bonuses and GP (namely GA and GM).

I'm sure it's possible to keep a golden age going for an even much longer time since I kind of just stumpled upon this chain of golden ages without planning it.

BUT... I must confess that i played on a lower difficulty setting ( Can't remember which one) and I think higher difficulties give you a penalty in happiness, no?

So how long can/did you keep your empire in a glorious long lasting golden age?
(and what difficulty were you on?)

EDIT: Oh!! and how did you do it?

57 turns.
Persian + Wonders.

By the way, does the Golden age improve in any way Military efficiency?

How long can you keep a golden age going?

It seems to me that you can keep a golden age going for a very very long time. I had a game where, I'm almost certain I had a golden age for 40 turns using happiness golden age combined with wonder bonuses and GP (namely GA and GM).

I'm sure it's possible to keep a golden age going for an even much longer time since I kind of just stumpled upon this chain of golden ages without planning it.

BUT... I must confess that i played on a lower difficulty setting ( Can't remember which one) and I think higher difficulties give you a penalty in happiness, no?

So how long can/did you keep your empire in a glorious long lasting golden age?
(and what difficulty were you on?)

EDIT: Oh!! and how did you do it?

I could easily get hooked on golden ages, production becomes CIV4-ish.

Lots of surplus happy +
Chicken Itza +
Taj Mahal +
Lots of Great People to burn =
around 150 turns of golden ages for me in last game with China.

50 turns from "happy" golden ages, i think it was 15 or 20 from TAJ, 2 great generals, 5 artists, 5 or 6 scientists and a merchant burned away.

When I went on a GA binge as the Romans, the turn limit from burning Great People eventually settled at 4 turns - and that's with Chichen Itza built.

But yeah, I've heard anywhere from 70-150 continuous turns in a Golden Age if you play your cards right. :eek:

With Chichen Itza and the Persians, the golden age timer hit 60 when I built Taj Mahal and the turns were added to an already existing golden age (standard speed). But it's been suggested that there is a bug with that combination of wonders with Persia, and I didn't stop to check the math and wasn't even paying enough attention to see what it was before TM was finished. Game ended by domination long before the GA ended.

Does anyone here play well below the happy cap to keep golden ages more frequent?

When I play I tend to use the Civ4 strategy of being exactly at the happy cap. As such the only sources of golden ages I have are SPs, wonders, and great people. It kind of feels like I might be missing out, but I feel so inefficient when I have +10 or more happiness.

When I play I tend to use the Civ4 strategy of being exactly at the happy cap. As such the only sources of golden ages I have are SPs, wonders, and great people. It kind of feels like I might be missing out, but I feel so inefficient when I have +10 or more happiness.

The GA's are far more efficient then that extra city or couple of pop.

Golden ages are the most critical part of the Civ V economy. You can't succeed with a large empire or higher difficulty level without them. Double gold and hammers is huge.

Double gold and hammers is huge.

Is it literally double? I thought the wording was something like "every tile that produces hammers or gold will produce one more of each." I don't recall exactly, though, and I'm stuck at work and can't check in-game.

Is it literally double? I thought the wording was something like "every tile that produces hammers or gold will produce one more of each." I don't recall exactly, though, and I'm stuck at work and can't check in-game.
You're right, I'm assuming he said that because in Civ V tile yields are quite small compared to what they used to be in Civ IV in many cases you're close to doubling output :)

With Chichen Itza and the Persians, the golden age timer hit 60 when I built Taj Mahal and the turns were added to an already existing golden age (standard speed). But it's been suggested that there is a bug with that combination of wonders with Persia, and I didn't stop to check the math and wasn't even paying enough attention to see what it was before TM was finished. Game ended by domination long before the GA ended.

Its Taj Mahal thats bugged, not Persia. Taj Mahal is counting the extended GA bonus twice, so +100% if you have Chichen Itza and another +100% if you're Persia.

I prefer to raze all cities except the ones that I'm not allowed to (capitals/city states) and maximise golden ages. I tend to only get 2 happiness-induced golden ages per game, but occasionally get 3 (and boy are they good).

Top Bottom