Google Earth Civilization 2.0.0 coming soon

[Bump!] Quick update - Having got Denmark it's intereting to note that Copenhagen, which is now the capital city of Denmark in Civilization V, has been a city state until now. Firaxis compensated by dumping the city state and adding two new Marine city states; Quebec City and Sydney. As I continue through this upgrade, the Denmark layer and the Quebec City and Sydney plots and expances will be added.

:bump: massive necro, I know, but Cam mentioned the thread in our internal forum, and I have to say it looks quite interesting.
But after reading the OP, I feel a bit left alone :(. I'm not sure what to download and how to use it. Could you maybe provide some more info about it :)?

Edit: And thread moved to Civ5 GD.

Wow, it's been over a year!

Okay, basically it's a massive set of layers used for Google Earth depicting the civilizations used in most of the Civilization franchise. (sp?) In it are all the colours and info of all the civilizations in Civilization III, Civilization IV and during the most 'recent' phase Civilization V. Each layer had the civilizations largest extent, the noted Capital city, colonial possessions around the world, any World, National, Religious and Natural Wonders within its borders, as well as city-states from Civ5 and borders and relevant info based on the Civilization IV game Colonization.

Unfortunely, due to my computer dying at the start of this year, I've lost Google Earth and I'm not sure the extent of my loss of work in updating the layers. To be honest I've been busy playing Civ... :blush: ... I suppose as any good civ fan does. It's awfully late but I'll get Google Earth today and see if the program has left off where I am up to, or if the worst case scenario is realized and I need to restart the entire project.

I'll quickly go to the Google Earth site as well to pick up the two downloads available, GoogleCiv and the teaser later today, I'm picking up the Star Trek Civ4 mod.

Thanks, but don't get too excited.

I have lost my entire progress. Everything after the first iteration has been lost, that includes everything on this thread so far. I'd suggest not to get Google Earth just yet, I made a small teaser of about five or so layers with the better maps. Gimme a day or two to re-edit the colour schemes and then I'll restart the work.

As of right now the entire progress report is wiped clean and I have to start afresh.

Just tested it, and I love it :love:. Would be great if you could update it.
For the .kmz file, you could also upload it to our download database, so that we have a version on our server.

Yea, the maps need obvious updating.
Really? I thought the database was purely for Civ things like mods or scenarios. If that's the case I'd like to work exclusively with CFC and submit layers civ by civ.

Really? I thought the database was purely for Civ things like mods or scenarios. If that's the case I'd like to work exclusively with CFC and submit layers civ by civ.

Oh, I think that's civ enough ;). Not for modding, but obvious a thing which we'd like to have here.
Not sure if making this civ by civ makes too much sense, but well, I don't know what's your exact plan :D.

Oh, I think that's civ enough ;). Not for modding, but obvious a thing which we'd like to have here.
Not sure if making this civ by civ makes too much sense, but well, I don't know what's your exact plan :D.

Where exactly can I submit the downloadable?
Well, it's very simple; I complete a layer of plots that accurately represent a civ and it's elements in GoogleCiv, I submit a downloadable copy of the civilization layer here. Everytime I complete a civ a out it up on the downloads until the full set is complete, then I submit the finished product as the biggest download complete with everything. It allows for customization and helps releasing the content gradually rather than wait for the full thing and risk losing it again. It also helps with updating content.

Where exactly can I submit the downloadable?

If you mean in which category: ...er...Since you have to choose a subcategory in the downloads section, I'd go with the main civ5 category.
If you want to ask how the upload works: Go to the downloads section (click).
At the top, you'll see an option "Add", which lets you add stuff to the database. You'll get a menu, where you can put a name, description, can select a category and select the file (Attention: Limited choice of file types, you'll have to zip the file). Limit per file is 10 mb (should not be a problem, I guess), no total limit of files.

Well, it's very simple; I complete a layer of plots that accurately represent a civ and it's elements in GoogleCiv, I submit a downloadable copy of the civilization layer here. Everytime I complete a civ a out it up on the downloads until the full set is complete, then I submit the finished product as the biggest download complete with everything. It allows for customization and helps releasing the content gradually rather than wait for the full thing and risk losing it again. It also helps with updating content.

mmhh...sounds good :).

If you mean in which category: ...er...Since you have to choose a subcategory in the downloads section, I'd go with the main civ5 category.
If you want to ask how the upload works: Go to the downloads section (click).
At the top, you'll see an option "Add", which lets you add stuff to the database. You'll get a menu, where you can put a name, description, can select a category and select the file (Attention: Limited choice of file types, you'll have to zip the file). Limit per file is 10 mb (should not be a problem, I guess), no total limit of files.

Thanks for the help. One last question; since a number of the civs are not in Civ V currently, would I have to post, for example, the Khmer in the Civ IV general download site?

Google Civilization 2.0.0 - American Layer

I've just released the first of, with any luck, many updated civilization layers for the Google Civilization project. In the Civillization V General download database in CFC is where you can now find the American layer to start us off. Each .kmz file is archived in a zip file for it to be placed into the database, you need to unzip and extract the file and then double click on the icon, Google Earth ought to then start up and check everything in the file to make it all visible. Images and features are detailed in the link and another link to the file will be added to the OP shortly.

Not sure what's going on, but when I open that file, I don't get the correct view, and the layer somehow seems to be dynamically hovering over the map (and is a bit shifted).
Don't have that problem with the older file :hmm:.
Any idea if that's only my problem?

Yea, I'll let you work that out. :D

Yeah, I guess we'll have to discuss that.

I can say that at this point I have five up to date civs that are very nearly ready. A couple of screenshots and I can post the first one today/night.

Sounds good :thumbsup:.

Not sure what's going on, but when I open that file, I don't get the correct view, and the layer somehow seems to be dynamically hovering over the map (and is a bit shifted).
Don't have that problem with the older file :hmm:.
Any idea if that's that's only my problem?

Yea, the Google Earth layer starts by hovering over the approximate middle of the everything in the layer, this includes any possession labels, labels of lands that either were or are still possessed by, in this layer, the American nation. There should be an arrow next to the kmz icon; click it so to can see every plot individually and freely move around the American sphere.
It's less obvious because instead of multiple folders listing the civs the folders are sent individually. If this doesn't help, send me a pic so I can get a better understanding.

Not sure what you mean with the arrow :hmm:.

I understand what you're saying with the layer, but it seems to be a bit off, if you zoom in:
Spoiler :

Attachments

• Clipboard01.jpg
    Clipboard01.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 784
Top Bottom