GOTM 182 Spoiler

catalin72

Prince
I know you like OCC.A tile north is 3 specials,with ocean access,seed is 5X.Can move this in a spoiler like in other times.

4000 BC
Settler moved to (50,30).
3950 BC-Washington founded
3900 BC-begin Code of Laws
3450 BC-COL,begin Ceremonial Burial
3200 BC-First hut,archer,home city Washington.Resource seed is 59.
2750 BC-Second hut Warrior Code,nice...,research every 33 turns

Played this one EC. I genuinely don't know if it was a fast game or a slow game. Emperor difficulty + marshy starting location can mess with conquest times, and respawn RNG can do so as well. I think I got a bit lucky with my respawns?? We'll see.

GOTM182.
Emperor difficulty. Size-1 all but mandatory. T6L0S4 for the first 2 turns in order to rush 1 shield early on, saves 1 turn on the size-1 settler. Will end up with 19 food on the box, and don’t need martial law for size2 since Emperor difficulty. No visible specials.

4000 BC: Washington built. Work forest. T6L0S4.

3900 BC: T4L0S6. Work shielded grassland.

3850 BC: >Burial.

3800 BC: Warrior, start Settler in Washington.

3650 BC: Rush 1s in Washington. Maybe I should have gone Peaster plan? High taxes at first for growth? I have Alphabet already, so… early Monarchy possible? Yea it is. Nope then.

3400 BC: Burial > CoL.

3150 BC: Washington size-1 settler. It will head east for a whale special.

3050 BC: Washington size-2.

3000 BC: Idiot AI didn’t use the river to get to its destination, so I miss out on a turn of my next city.

2950 BC: Washington warrior. New York built.

2700 BC: CoL > BW. Monarchy not available. Forgot 0-1-2 techs weren’t affected by number of starting techs!

2500 BC: World is VERY marshy/jungle-y. Not good for development!

2400 BC: Boston built.

2250 BC: BW> Monarchy. Should have gone for Map Making, starting land seems to be an island.

2150 BC: Hut: Currency.

2050 BC: Philadelphie built. Hut: 50g. Well welcomed.

STATUS AT 2000 BC: (Beginning of 41st turn)
Population: 60.000 Cities: 4 Government: Despotism Total advances: 5 (researching Monarchy)
Gold: 24 T4L0S6 Income/Cost per turn: 2 income, 0 cost. Production: 12MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: None built.
Foreign relations: None.

NOTES: Expansion westwards and some vans for MPE. Looks like expanding east for whale has backfired (post-game edit: there were more whales westwards lmao) not that much space left. Triremes soon as well, but not for colonies. I really do want to play this one EC, and the wet terrain only reinforces that.

Yes,more swamp and jungle,but peat of swamp is 4 shields,and 4 specials tile,nice place:)).
For me map is OK,have enough good tiles for cities,more with hidden specials.

Jokemaster--->I think I got a bit lucky with my respawns?? We'll see.
In my map white civ was destroyed by other civ and no respawn.
I have MPE now,I think you will have succes with respawns and EC.Is a hard map for me,and Republic is not a good option,my opinion,AI too close.

It was actually a pretty decent map for EL, since I had 3 civs on the way to the Colossus City (Zimbabwe) and not far-off civs (and still good bonuses bc normal map) Problem was marshy terrain. +lack of RL time.

Although I would have had trouble expanding since I was surrounded. Might have needed to take out the Spanish/Russkies for some more land. Again, not conducive to EL.

Anyhow.

1850 BC: Hut: NONE legion! Warrior is near St. Petersburg. Restarts are on! Washington settlers.

1750 BC: Boston settlers. City will build a trireme next. NY will be building wonders.

1700 BC: Monarchy > Map Making. REVOLUTION.
Interturn: Germans start Pyramids. That’s early as heck!

1650 BC: New York starts Colossus after building settlers. Monarchy. T3L0S7. Atlanta built. Techrate 7 turns.

1550 BC: No luck tracking the Russians so far, but I did find a hut.

1500 BC: Hut: 25g. Boo, I was hoping for a tribe…

1400 BC: Chicago built. San Francisco built.

1350 BC: The Russians are offshore! Some twist of fate. Boston’s boat will come handy.

1300 BC: Map Making > Trade. Buffalo built.
Interturn: Barbs immediately disembark near Buffalo. UN-LUCKY. Guess I’ll have to pay up. Archers on marshes are impossible to kill with my tech at this stage of the game.

1100 BC: Barbs seem content with not attacking.

1050 BC: Trade > HBR. Need 2 vans for NY and Marco’s. That’s gonna be a late one…

STATUS AT 1000 BC: (End of 61st turn)
Population: 140.000 Cities: 8 Government: Monarchy Total advances: 8 (researching HBR)
Gold: 18 T3L0S7 Income/Cost per turn: 7 income, 0 cost. Production: 25MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: None. Currently building MPE.
Foreign relations: None.

NOTES: Expansion westwards. Can’t say much else without MPE built. Will pick up Legion and Warrior with my Trireme and look for the Russians. Maybe should have gambled on them having HBR and rsearched Writing, but oh well. (Post-game edit: Guess exactly what's happened...)

The only sucky thing is that it takes FOREVER to get them to get pissed off at you when you want to declare war on you (and not have to sneak attack and lose reputation) Otherwise, it's quite nice.. but only for the first 200 turns!

The only sucky thing is that it takes FOREVER to get them to get pissed off at you when you want to declare war on you (and not have to sneak attack and lose reputation) Otherwise, it's quite nice.. but only for the first 200 turns!

My english is bad..I don't understand more,to obtain sneak attack need to bothering AI more turns,tribute,etc?
200 turns in this map=1740 AD with Major photos,is OK.

If you do the sneak attack yourself, your reputation takes a hit=no one wants to make peace with you=constant war (and no trade)=bad. Better to goad the AI into declaring war first if possible when going spaceship.

You can get a civ to declare war on you by constantly demanding tribute/troops withdrawal until their attitude falls low enough that they snap. But it takes a long time, especially under Republic/Democracy. That's about the only disadvantage of 2.42 vs MGE.

I started playing yesterday. Restarts on means that I would highly prefer a landing game. Hut luck was prety mediocre this time, no advanced tribes, no nomads, no tech to speed up monarchy, but also no barbs and no bad techs. Pottery was not great, but in enabled trade next.

-4000 Washington founded. No need to spend time walking around without any knowledge of the map, Start s1-settler
-3950 Research Laws
-3550 Laws->Burial
-3300 Settler built, moves north, warrior next
-3050 New York founded
-2900 Burial->Bronze
-2450 Boston founded
-2350 Bronze->Monarchy(48)
-2250 25g from hut, was hoping for a city instead
-1950 41 beakers done, looking good for -1850

Stats at 1950BC:
pop.: 30k; Cities: 3; techs: 4; gold: 49; Gov.: Desp; wonders: -; TR: 0D/0F
units: 2 settler, 2 warrior
Goals: Expand, MPE

-1900 Monarchy(oops)->Currency; None-horse from hut; Philadelphia founded, supported archer from hut, revolution
-1850 Monarchy established
-1800 Atlanta founded
-1700 Pottery from hut
-1650 Chicago founded
-1500 Curr.->Trade
-1400 San Francisco founded
-1200 Trade->Writing; switch 4 settler productions to caravans for MPE

Stats at 1000BC:
pop.: 250k; Cities: 7; techs: 8; gold: 91; Gov.: Mon; wonders: -; TR: 0D/0F
units: 2 settler, 8 warrior, 1 archer, 1 horse, 3 van
Goals: Expand, MPE in 3 turns, then plan further, landing eventually, not sure about SSC, no great or even good sites around, decent would be New York (52,24) or Atlanta (58,34)

950 BC: Saint Louis built. Detroit built. Philly builds van.

925 BC: Zulus start Colossus. Van in NY: 89s left. Hut: HBR! Sweet.

900 BC: >Polytheism. Somehow I am not the most teched-out civ.

875 BC: Civil disorder in NY with city size 3. Found an irrigated square where the Warrior found the hut! That’s Russia. (Postgame: Researched Poly>Wri at some point between 900 and 825 BC.)

825 BC: ANOTHER Barb landing near Buffalo? That’s a first. I’m sending a settler there in hopes that it will defend against the Archers with the marsh defensive bonus+higher HP on settlers. This delayed building a city there quite a lot. Finally meet Russians near St. Petersburg: trade for Mysticism and give 4 techs. They already have Poly. I can see Seville on the map. 3 cities overall.
Interturn: WOW. Settler dies to Barbs with no real damage dealt back.

775 BC: Barbs are marching on my undefended east cities. I’ll have an ellie to defend Philly, but Buffalo will have to pay ransom. Van in NY: Marco’s in 3 turns. Contact with Spanish: peace. They lack Poly.

750 Should I sneak attack? My Legion is right next to Madrid… Fortune favours the bold, eh? But actually… I want a spic and span rep for Marco’s tech trading when it’s done. I’ll wait one turn before attacking.

725 BC: NEW YORK MARCO’S. Zulus: Peace, maps. They’re southeast but pretty far out. Germans are directly south, trade for techs including Writing and Seafaring. Carths are… DIRECTLY SOUTH. Closer even. Guess where the main respawn zone won’t be… Sioux are north. Only one city, but 5 units guarding the place. Wew lad. Main respawn zone will be east then. I’ve read online that the sneak attack bonus only applies against human players (so not against AI’s) but I’ll try my luck anyway. Sneak attack the Spanish… multiple Phalanxes defending! I lose my Legion. Dang. T7L0S3.

PLANNING TIME. First south fleet will go from Carths to Zulus. Late swarm to Germans and Sioux. Need to take out Spanish first before Russians. Cities west of Washington will work on west flank, eastern ones will take Sioux+South. But I only have 10 cities.. that’s lean, but not that mean.

700 BC: >Lit. New Orleans built.

650 BC: Germans Pyramids. Zulus swap to Colossus. Would be real nice if my homeland was good for expansion but it ain’t. Manifest Destiny, suckers.

625 BC: Progress on a 4-ellie flotilla is going well. First up: the Carths. Closest, but I need cities and they’re the easiest of the southern bunch. (Post-game update: Vets are nice as well.)

600 BC: Germans; Trade for Literacy. Get updated maps. Baltimore built.

575 BC: T3L0S7 for first to >Philosophy. I think I can go for Mono after. Hut: NONE Ellie 2 squares north of Carthage. Well that’s convenient! Denver built. Can’t do many rushes not anyways since I need the western cities to grow, and the eastern cities will build enough troops for the German late swarm.

550 BC: Kill a Barb horseman near Carthage fishing for Vet status: not successful, but it stays above 50%.

525 BC: Cincinatti built as an advance base for the Sioux. Can’t attack the Carths yet, since I’d take WC and would be unable to research Mono. Germans are also researching Philo. That’s six turns of waiting! Zulus are nearby, but Zimbabwe’s on a river. Need vets for that, and I don’t have them. YIKES.

STATUS AT 475 BC: (Beginning of 82nd turn)
Population: 360.000 Cities: 14 Government: Monarchy Total advances: 19 (researching Phil)
Gold: 15 T3L0S7 Income/Cost per turn: 13 income, 0 cost. Production: 54MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: MPE. Germans have Pyramids
Foreign relations: War with Spanish. Peace with others. Carths are deadsoon.

NOTES: Will attack the Carths soon. Attack on Spanish failed, and it’s going to take a while to get another force going. Preparations for the Germans are also lagging, since I need to build vans for HG first…

-925 MPE built:
hail Zulus, get writing + mapmak., peace, exchange maps;
hail Sioux, peace, get math, gift some techs, exchange maps;
hail Carths, peace, maps
hail Russia, peace, maps
-900 Research Literacy; hail Germany, peace, get myst., exchange maps...we will try for some early trade, build a boat and send 2 vans to Sioux
-850 Buffalo, St. Louis founded;
-775 Lit.->Philo; Detroit founded
-675 Kill Barb archer+dip with Archer, didn't want to risk them attacking
-650 Just before delivery, Little Bighorn drops out of hides demand..., deliver dye first for disappointing 96
-625 Philo->University->Republic; Get IW from Carths, wheel from Spain, peace & maps; Masonry from Sioux, deliver for ... 60! Still bad
(Germans begin Pyramids)
-600 New Orleans founded
-550 HG built in Atlanta (Zulus switch to Pyr)
-500 Baltimore founded on cont. 1

Stats at 500BC:
pop.: 450k; Cities: 12; techs: 18; gold: 48; Gov.: Mon; wonders: HG, MPE; TR: 0D/2F
units: 2 settler, 9 warrior, 1 archer, 1 horse, 1 boat, 1 dip, 3 van
Goals: Settle home continent and expand overseas; build up SSC; Michelangelo and Pyramids

-450 Delivery for 84
-425 Republic(go for it)->Medicine; No chance for celebrations though, maybe we should have stayed in Monarchy for longer?
(Germany construction)
-400 Colossus built in Atlanta; Gift Republic to all, update some maps
-250 Cincinnati founded
-225 Medicine->Seafaring; Get Construction from Germany; Delvery for 272, 152
-175 Elephant from hut on cont. 1 (supported)
(Sioux Mono)
-125 Seaf.->Banking; Pyramids built; Get Mono from Sioux
(Carths Astro (and immediately start on Copernicus), Spanish Astro and do not start; Barbs land on island 9, just where I wanted to drop a settler)
-100 Dallas founded; get Astro frm Spain
-75 Los Angeles founded (cont. 9); NONE-legion on cont. 1
-25 50g from hut; delivery 144
+1 Delivery 190

Stats at 1AD:
pop.: 760k; Cities: 16; techs: 24; gold: 580; Gov.: Rep; wonders: Pyr, HG, Colossus, MPE; TR: 0D/7F
units: 7 settler, 4 warrior, 1 phalanx, 1 archer, 1 legion, 1 horse, 1 elephant, 3 boat, 1 dip, 9 van
Goals: Build up SSC; Terribly behind in expansion, maybe we should gor for EL

I guess it was too early to switch to republic. But there was nothing better available to research and we discovered in an oedo year by chance, so I went for it.

I finished today the game,was my first map using patch 2.42.Is a very easy game with this patch,the victory is always sure,I don't feel a big level of competition using this,in MGE deity have some small chances to loose with spaceship launched by AI.For a CFC veteran player is piece of cake a game with 2.42.The question of Ali in GOTM161 spoiler :'Why GL if you have MPE ?' was correct 100000%:),with AI cordial or enthusiastic for few tecs changed Great Library=300 shields wasted..
But it does not mean I played good,I played bad like in other more GOTM's,I lost Philosophy with a turn difference and maybe need some early wars.
SS was launched,but a sneak attack of the last civ maked to finish the game by my usually LATE:) conquest with 3 turns before Alpha Centauri:)).

4000 BC-1 AD

Settler moved to (50,30).
3950 BC-Washington founded
3900 BC-begin Code of Laws
3450 BC-COL,begin Ceremonial Burial
3200 BC-First hut,archer,home city Washington.Resource seed is 59.
2750 BC-Second hut Warrior Code,nice...,research every 33 turns
2550 BC-hut 3 nomad,moved to (40,38),3 specials,2 hidden
2500 BC-New York build,warrior sees the whale
2450 BC-Warior rehomed in NY
2350 BC-Settler in Washington
2200 BC-CB,begin Monarchy
1950 BC-Boston founded
1700 BC-archer rehomed in Boston
1650 BC-Monarchy,begin BW
1600 BC-Settler NY
1500 BC-Revolution
1450 BC-Monarchy estabilished/Washington settler
1350 BC-Boston settler
1300 BC-Philadelphia founded
1200 BC-BW,begin Currency
1150 BC-Begin irigation in forest,(49,37) for new city Atlanta
1050 BC-NY settler,hut Currency,researching tech
1000 BC-Begin Trade
950 BC-Washington settler hurried/Atlanta founded/begin mining for silk near Washington
Will make Washington SSC,with that silk,is not a good option,but island have more bad terrain and need to not waste time
925 BC-begin mining for pheasant near NY
900 BC-Trade,begin Writing
825 BC-Settler hurried in Boston/Chicago founded,4 specials,(67,21)
800 BC-Germans begin GL
750 BC-Begin wonder in Washington
725 BC-Writing,begin Literacy
675 BC-Russians destroyed by Spanish
650 BC-San Francisco founded
625 BC-Begin wonder in Philadelphia
575 BC-Zulu begin Colossus
550 BC-Literacy,begin The Republic
475 BC-2 food van
450 BC-Spanish begin HG
425 BC-Zulu change Colossus to Pyramids/begin irrigation in forest,river for the next city St.Louis
400 BC-The Republic,begin MM
375 BC-Sioux begin Pyramids/Buffalo founded
300 BC-St.Louis founded
275 BC-Germans begin Pyramids/Detroit founded
225 BC-MM,begin Mysticism
175 BC-Colossus in Washington/Chicago first trireme
125 BC-Atlanta second trireme
100 BC-Mysticism,begin Philosophy
50 BC-Spanish make HG,and begin Lighthouse/temple hurried in Washington
25 BC-Begin wonder in Washington
1 AD-Warrior explores island 1 up to Boston

Stats at 1 AD
Pop:540 000,Cities:10 Tecs:13 Government:Monarchy(is a 'hard' wonders race,I want shields and need few temples)
Wonders:Colossus TR:0
Units:6 settlers,11 warriors,7 phalanx,4 archers,2 trireme,1 van (food)
No contacts with other civs.
Goals:Expansion in other continents,MPE,Michelangelo,Republic govn.

I finished today the game,was my first map using patch 2.42.Is a very easy game with this patch,the victory is always sure,I don't feel a big level of competition using this,in MGE deity have some small chances to loose with spaceship launched by AI.For a CFC veteran player is piece of cake a game with 2.42.

I partly agree with what you said. Indeed, for a skilled and experienced player, it is no big challenge to defeat the AI. This is for classic (2.42), but also, slightly less, for MGE. If you include all the stuff about strategy that is around (especially trade) into your gameplay, the AI is no challenge, no matter what. It's a little bit more challenging in MGE, but still no match to the human brain if you do things right.
I wonder why they only focus chess to make competitive AIs and not on civ2?!
So I do not see GOTMs as another chance to defeat the AI, I've done it many times before. I see it as a challenge to put down a game that is better than my opponents , my opponents not being the AI rivals, but the human players that are playing the same game.

Major--->I wonder why they only focus chess to make competitive AIs and not on civ2?!
I don't understand this,my english is too bad..
Yes,is a competion between players using a map.But for me better is a multiplayer game online,unfortunately no more players still play old Civ II these days and have time and PATIENCE for multiplayer,most Civ V,Civ IV, because can't play simultaneous turns and need to move any unit,can't make slots,is 'painful',the word used by a GOTM player.
I try to play using a network for games,but I don't know if my partners really know the game..

425 BC: Philosophy > Monotheism > Republic. T7L0S3. Sneak attack the Carthaginians: kill 2 units. I really want a landing harbour for the Germans, so I will hold off on conquering for one turn. Losing one ellie is recoverable. Sadly waiting this long led them to build a second garrison unit, which leads us to this conundrum. Hut: Settlers.
Interturn: Lose an ellie to Carths. They build another garrison unit. That really did not work.

400 BC: NY starts HG. Raze Carthage defender: Vet.

350 BC: Kill defender in Malaca (vet) seized for 57g+Warrior Code. Hut: Settlers. Update Sioux maps: LB is defended by 2 Warriors, but they have also built WK nearby. 4 units inside, possibility that a bribe would be a good deal? I’ll try it.

325 BC: Dallas built as a respawn-hunting colony. WK costs 300g to revolt. Well, that was a waste.

275 BC: Kill 2 defeners in Utique at the cost of an ellie (1 vet) Utique stormed for 88g+2citizens. CARTHAGINIAN CIV DESTROYED BY AMERICANS. English respawn.
Interturn: Spanish trireme finds my exploring trireme and kills it. That stinks! 110s down the drain. At least I still have Dallas. But I was hoping for another location for the second settler. Damn.

250 BC: Kill Barb horse near Utique, vet.

225 BC: 3-crusader force heading for Madrid. Hopefully it works out better this time! Zimbabwe only defended by 2 Warriors. If I can get there in time… don’t think so.

200 BC: NY HANGING GARDENS. LA built.

175 BC: Attacking Madrid next turn. Kansas City built. Accidentaly built triremes in New Orleans and Chicago instead of Crusaders… San Diego built.

150 BC: Attack Madrid again: Kill 2 units (1 vet) and lose one crusader. No movepoints for a successful capture.
Interturn: Lose a crusader to Spanish warrior from Madrid. The other crusader will reembark to fight another day.

125 BC: Richmond built. Las Vegas built. Sioux: WAR.

75 BC: Kill 2 units in Little Bighorn. Rush a crusader to defend Cincinatti.Will reattack Marid next turn. Lose a crusader to a Barb legion near San Diego? That’s bad! I’ll lose the city.
Interturn: Lose a crusader to Sioux Legion, but the city’s still undefended. Lose San Diego to barbs.

50 AD: Capture Little Bighorn for 81g+2citizens. Raze Madrid to the ground after killing 3 (4 in total) units. Respawned English: get maps. 14g off of bribing Wounded Knee, ow. Russians: 25g. Thank you, that’s enough. WK conquered for 109g+2citizens. SIOUX CIVILIZATION DESTROYED BY AMERICANS. No respawn… and that’s my tech costs through the roof. That’s okay. Phoenix built.

25 BC: Seville razed to the ground: 2 vets. I’ve got no base of operations…

STATUS AT 20 AD: (Beginning of 102nd turn)
Population: 920.000 Cities: 24 Government: Monarchy Total advances: 22 (researching Repu)
Gold: 60 T7L0S2 Income/Cost per turn: 49 income, 0 cost. Production: 104MT 0 polluted tiles
Wonders: MPE, HG. Germans have Pyramids and Zulus have Colossus.
Foreign relations: War with Spanish. Peace with others. English respawned. Sioux are down for the count

NOTES: Going OK so far, but the lack of ports in the Spanish mainland is a bummer. Lighthouse looks like it might be required soon for hunting respawns.

Top Bottom