GOTM #9 *Spoilers* Thread

Just started, my first GOTM.
Instructions say I must use default rules.

Curious though, I thought that the rules were saved with the game. Also, I'm getting a new message that I've not seen before and I'm wonding if perhaps I'm not using the correct rules. On turn begin, I'm getting a message, "Your citizens are rioting... Give them Entertainment". Is this correct? Does it mean default rules as they come in the saved game or default rules from Civ Install? Because I've been playing since this game was released and I've yet to see this message box.

Don't want to get too far into this game if I'm playing with the wrong rule set. Stopped when I saw that - hope someone can give me some feedback asap.

Thanks.

Taking up from last time I was in the middle of a possible global nuclear war.

Eventually got out of war with Japan, but it took an ICBM to do it.

Which then started another war with Persia who then nuked the great little island in the South East :(

My switch to monarchy meant little money was coming in but a least there was a great reduction in war weariness.

Nearly laughed when Persia started dropping off longbowmen in galleons right after nuking me but thats all they would send at me.

Got a great leader from killing a bowman and used it to hurry the second last spaceship part. (Could have done something more useful if I could have airlifted him off that tiny island)

Eventually researched the laser and started on the planetary party lounge in Byblos where it would only take one turn.

Launched a nuke on Persia just to say goodbye.

Won 2026 Space Ship Victory 4th in Histograph with a score of 2600 or so.

Feck I'm **** at this :D

Well I made it up to 1330AD now.

I had some problems when I started the war with the Persians and Germany at the same time. First of all I was in democracy so I had war weariness in about 5 turns (have not researched up to industrialism even yet, that's what I get for holding back on research). So I switched back to Republic and about 5 turns or so after that war weariness was getting bad again. Then to top it all off everyone got nationalism so rather than fight a war of attrition I negotiated peace and rethought my plan. I changed production and rushed a bunch of cannons. I had a few already cause catapults and cannons are great for attacking sea going vessels as they cruise by. ;) I was no longer concerned with reputation and started the war again the next turn. I got a couple of great leaders and had no wonders to produce so I built armies of cavalry. The cannons and the armies gave me the extra punch to break through the defenses.

So at 1330AD the Persians are down to 2 puny cities and the Germans have about 6 or 7 cities left. As a bring my forces over from the Persian island, the Germans should be reduced to ruble. I plan on keeping the Persian through to the end since they have the least culture. ;) All my forces will start to gather to start the war with the Americans who are at war with the Germans right now (that military alliance with the Americans got them into the war, the got a bit pissed when I signed peace with the germans but they stayed at war with the Germans since these wars started). I should have about 100 cavalry, 100 cannons and 100 riflemen when I start the war with the Americans.

I will post my 1400 AD power chart when I get there, should have made a pretty good dent into the Americans by then.

CB

Well, this was one of the strangest games I've played. AIs were at constant war with each other (and with me, do I have to mention that) and because of that tech progress was very slow and strange - printing press and democracy were researched only after radio was, and that happend somewhere in the late 19th century. Has this happend to anyone else :confused: ?
Funny thing - all three militaristic civs were wiped out, and three industrious remained. Persia was the strongest civ most of the time and I had almost twice as much culture as they did, but could never trigger cultural victory.
They were the first ones to have nukes. Never seen AI attacking me with them before I nuked him. And here comes AI's stupidity in play: Persians dropped a nuke on some forgotten tundra city - 5 times in the period of 100 years :eek: if they bombed key cities, well, thing would be different, I guess...
Later I nuke whole persian continent and put them out of the space race (and they were the only ones in it :) ) and win with histographic wictory. Ended with ~7ooo pointz... not that I care that much about that, but there you go...

Here are 2 images of my Egyptian adventure. I did pretty poor at the beginning - later on I kicket my neighbours´ *****. I have to admit, that his was my first gotm and I really didin´t have a lot of time ( for reloading and stuff ;) ) cause I´ll write my last exam for this semester tomorrow.
Anyways - have a look!

My Japan-invasion suddently got stuck, when I noticed that the Japanese just discovered the secrets of industrialization and I only had knights....

I came back with moden armour and other nice things....

There was just no way in beating the Persians in my game.
I used themm a my cavalry during the game. I only went to war with them at 2045 to destroy their spaceship...

I finally figured out why some of you guys that always play the GOTM at the end of the month. After a new patch you get to use the version that suits you best. :) The light bulb comes on just when the last patch is due out. :( I could have used the extra Great Leaders.

I breached the 3000 points! :yeah: My record so far is somewhere between 2700 and 2800. (I know, it's pathetic.)

I got my home island, almost the whole two other islands north-west of our starting position, I recently conquered the home peninsula of the Aztecs and got some cities to secure resources.

But through my attack on the Aztecs I got a bad reputation and everyone is pissed. :( Now Japan keeps attacking me. They used to be far more dangerous, but I've performed very well during the game. I just had a wretchy beginning.

Well it is about 350 AD and I finally got most of the world map. The tech race in my game is so slow. We have just gotten into the middle ages with only one or two techs disovered. I have yet to go to war, all I have been doing is expanding, I have had no time for war. I have my island settle completely, and the small one to the NE. I then found three more islands to settle and am trying to fill them all quickly. Japan put one settler on the big jungle island to the NE, and that is probably all they will be able to get in. My settlers are arriving as fast as my boats can get them there. I have never used caravels so much.

I just found a new island to the North west of the large jungle island, and it seems a safe bet that it will be all mine as well.

From here I think I will try to rush to chivalry and attack japan with Knights and trigger my GA with a chariot.

This is one of the more unusual games I have played. I know it is emperorer but it doesn't seem like it with the pace of the AI.

OK, it's 1350 and this is the big turning point in my game. I have over 400 units so my turns are very long at least for a while, I estimate this turn will take 2 hours to complete because of the wholesale changes to be made. Suffrage will be completed next turn so war weariness should not be a factor that will hold me back, however, I will most likely stay in Republic until the war with the Americans is over.

I've been at war with the Americans for two turns. I had been expecting that they would have some major forces but I've only seen 1 cavalry and two of the three cities I took had musketmen and pikemen for defense. They must have burned themselves out in the war with the Germans who are now history. My handful of ironclads have started to whittle their frigates down. Since the Americans have a fairly high culture and I am now selectively choosing build sites I will raze every American city, they have no wonders, and I don't need to battle culture flips. Persia has two cities left and I will set them up later in a corral.

I have about 250 cities and I will now go and sell all existing temples in cities where the culture is 10 or more.. Change production in second tier cities (commerce above 18 or so) to universities to I can get to ecology as quick as possible. Manage population growth so that as many cities as possible are at full size without a hospital ASAP. Change all production in corrupt cities from military to point enhancing production like aqueducts and then marketplaces.

I will build new cities in prime locations and start eliminating cities that are on poor sites (tundra and mountain locals). I will rush build settlers in these cities to be disbanded to reduce and move population quickly. This process will take up some of the time between now and ecology, I don't want too much global warming but I do want to get some hospitals on line before ecology.

My score for the first half of the game (1400 AD) will be over 6000 but I'm unsure how fast things will develop to really predict final score but I'm hoping to get above 25000.

CB

Cartouche Bee, you always amaze me with the score you can generate :goodjob:

25000:eek:

I am not sure where I will end up but I am sure it will be less than that. I don't think I have the patience to milk the score that much. I am hoping to place high this month, but I am unsure as to how to figure out what my score will be that far in the game.

How do you calculate the score this early? I have seen Sir Plebs calculator and that helps, but I am too far from the domination limit to use that reliably. Is there another way?:

Hi Creepster.

This is how I arrive at an estimated final score at this point of the game.

(estimated end game score) = ((first half score) + (second half score)) /2

(first half score) = score at 1400 AD

(second half score) = ((current estimated score) + (maps potential score))/2
*** The estimated average of your scores per turn in the second half of the game

maps potential score = domination limit * 4 * difficulty
*** this is a very simple estimate and the real potential is based on actual squares in your control and how well you use them

Anyway, a cheap way to provide a 'carrot' to play it out. :)

I got bad news:(
My savegames of my GOTM9 are deleted becuase i thoguht it where toher saves of other games with cleopatra.
So i cannot give in my result:( and i was doing so well....:(:(:(

Philippe,

Just another opportunity to learn why the "New Folder" command was built into the operating system almost before you were even born. :) ;)

Phillippe,

Don't give up so easily. If you are using Windows, double click on the "Recycle Bin" icon on your desktop. You may find your game files there.

In the future, when not playing a GOTM, you might find it helpful to rename the leader of your tribe. You can do this when starting a game by clicking on the picture of the leader. The game files are saved with the leader name, so this allows you to easily distinguish your games.

Good luck!

It is too late i normally lways remove everything in the garbage can and when i wanted to play further into my GOTM i realised i deleted the wrong saves:(:(:(:(:(:(

Sh*t happens. But I'm sure you'll learn from this and never do it again. ;)

I got a Norton Protected Recycle Bin. It registers which files were deleted and can easily bring them back. Perhaps a suggestion for you? ;) I often take advantage of it.

Top Bottom