Gotm 95 Spoiler

I believe this one is a hard one....I played till almost 1AD and the growing part is going really slow. It's hard to grow big because the bad landtiles.....Thanks to the AI I have a lot of techs but trading will only possilble with myself....and purple is missing....

So to win this one I have to play slightly different then I'm used to but I have thought of a strategy which I will not tell now.

I've had mainly money from huts.

It's very slow going, but I've just reached democracy so should be able to speed up now.

I'm not yet finished but it's gonna look that I can finish this week. The other civ's could develop their techs as quick as I did till discovery of automobile. After that point I can finally make a big jump and leave them behind. I just discovered advanced flight and it's somewhere between 1850 and 1900. I could played faster but that was not my goal for this game.

Magic Gorter...
Thanks for posting a GOTM.
I thought i would give another try for a GOTM after many months of absence. Wow, this map is HUGE. I'm use to playing on a small map to limit my game time. It's 1929 and i still have not gotten to the South Pole! I have found how valuable Explorers are on a map such as this. Rereading the original intro and now knowing the "play" i would certainly reorient my playing style if i made another go of it.
I Like the design and your concept. It forced me to play differently, and a bit awkwardly at first, til i got the hang of coastal desert life. Its a long time til the development of terrain modification. :)
Whales, Fishes, Irrigated Oasis's and a store house of grub will barely let you have babies born on one village site. Work, work, work. At least my Settlers have learned how to be Engineers. And finally Railroads and Transports link my cities, islands and East West continental spans.
Looks like i will miss the deadline but enjoyed the attempt and wandering wonder of a new world to explore.
The GOTM 96 "design" is what i generally play so i suspect that will be an ideal situation for me. I will likely give it a try after i catch up with my obligations in the real world.
:)
AZA

I've very nearly finished, but it'll take a few more days (just started building spaceship). Is it ok If I have a few more days?

I just finished my game. I will post my log soon. I have to work it out a little (summary every 25 -50 turns). My strategy was as Aza mentioned dessert coastal life. On the islands with only dessert I could only grow when my cities were at the coast. And of course the most important improvement was Harbor. Without it I could not grow very easy. It was also hard to get a lot of shields to build settlers and caravans. This was the reason I was not able to build a SSC. I missed most of the early/mid important wonders. When I was able to jump over to the island to the south and the Egyptians started on as new civ on that island I finally could grow and follow the other civs.

After jumping to the next island (big island in middle of map) and the discovery of the corporation and automobile I was at last able to fly away from the other civs. The Carth's were not easy for me. They had a fundy government and tried to fight me a couple of times but after advanced flight (bombers) I finally could force them away from my cities. They only took some techs after that....

I had planned to build a full spaceship but the carths build a small spaceship just before I could finish mine. So I had to stay with the 100 points spaceship to beat them.

I finished the GOTM up the other day. Such a massive map, i thought i would never see it all and didnt until i got the eye in the sky satillite view. I will send in my various saves, but just to compare scores with others, as i did not save when i should and i rehomed caravans ( as i usually do but is frowned upon here for some reason ). I certainly would play differently next time. A few playing oddities occured and the game locked repeatedly as i made my Alpha C landing. Ive never had that occur before, in fact one thing i like about CIV2 is that it always plays smoothly, no lock ups.
The other Civs were rarely if ever pleasant, and i gained very little in trying to negotiate with them, even when i gave them something while trying to be nice, in fact all time spent trying to find them and then negotiate was wasteful in my experience. I would have best just stayed in the northlands and learned to florish in the desert and headed to the stars ASAP.
I stayed in Fundy for the longest and made tons of diplomats and caravans which i used to rush produce all the key Wonders. I also generated plenty of cash ( 20K ) with which i rush built bought city improvements. I was outpaced extensively in science during this time until i switched to Democracy and earned a new tech with every turn. Amazing and rapid development quickly left them behind. 2020 was fast approaching so i built a lean but well fueled rocket and launched it for a 2019 arrival. The last years were spent boosting population with making babies celebrations. The orange folk rushed built and launched a bigger, faster ship but it was to arrive after mine so i guess they LOST.
:)
Lots of huts yielded cash, NONs and a bit of science to my explorers. A few cities were built in the irrigated jungle lands but only a 2 or 3 colonys were in high production mode by the end of the game. I would have better used my time and resources by staying North.
As usual once railroads and engineers made their appearance production and development happily accelerated. Deserts became irrigated farmland plains full of good grain and mined desert oil wells produced plenty of shields with factories and Hoover's Dam multiplying them. Transports made ocean crossings easier and more practical.
Only rarely did another CIV wander into my lands. The middle jungle lands were and now i think should have remained a No Man's Land.
Fun game, Thanks Magic Gorter. It certainly made me alter my typical playing style.
AZA

Very nearly finished just waiting to land, a few turns left. I did mainly coastal cities, as we all must have, I put off republic longer than normal as I had ships I couldn't have supported, once i had irrigated a desert tile though I could switch. As it turned out there was no way through to the other civs by boat anyway, until I built a series of railroads down through the second continent and over to the carthags. The carthags were a bit annoyed at having me turn up on their doorstep delivering loads of vans and they started attacking, the only option was to start revolting their cities. This was expensive and cost me time later on, but I've ended up with nearly all the carthag empire, so the extra points probably outweigh it.

I enjoyed this game, it took a lot longer than normal ,and launching the max spaceship at the end got a bit time consuming, but overall this was a very good GOTM.

I had quite a lot of uranium vans and demand which helped a bit towards the end, I wonder if the desert helped that? My largest was a gold van which I've attached (hope that's ok, it doesn't really give anything away)

Attachments

• gold.png
    gold.png
    319.8 KB · Views: 158
First part of my log:

turn year
1 4000 BC hut->warrior code
3 3900 BC Paris / >Ceremonial Burial
8 3650 BC warrior
9 3600 BC hut->Bronze Working
12 3450 BC hut->archer
17 3200 BC 1 city trick->first settler
23 2900 BC Orleans
24 2850 BC Ceremonial Burial->Code of Laws
33 2400 BC Code of Laws->Monarchy
41 2000 BC -
20,000 citizens, 2 cities, 5 techs, income 2 g, 4 beakers, no wonders, depotism, production 5 Mtons, 2 warriors and 1 settler

More will follow soon.

turn year
45 1800 BC Monarchy->Currency / hut->Feudalism
48 1650 BC MONARCHY / Lyons
58 1150 BC Rheims
61 1000 BC Currency->Trade
63 950 BC
60,000 citizens, 4 cities, 8 techs, income 4 g, 9 beakers, no wonders, monarchy, production 9 Mtons, 2 warriors, 1 settler and 2 archers

71 750 BC Trade->Map Making / Tours
75 650 BC Marseilles
78 575 BC >0,1M
83 450 BC Rheims build Marco Polo / got Literacy, Mysticism, Seafaring, Polytheism, The Republic, Masonry, Writing, Map Making and Pottery
84 425 BC >Mathematics
89 300 BC Chartres
92 225 BC REPUBLIC
94 175 BC >0,2M
99 50 BC Mathematics->Philosophy / got Construction from Romans
101 1 AD
290,000 citizens, 7 cities, 20 techs, cost 1 g, income 7 g, 19 beakers, wonders (Marco Polo), republic, production 14 Mtons, 1 warrior, 3 settler and 1 trireme

Charlie Chuck writes...
I had quite a lot of uranium vans and demand which helped a bit towards the end, I wonder if the desert helped that? My largest was a gold van which I've attached.

Wow, i have never, never seen such a high Caravan delivery award in my games, and i have been playing for years, since it was first released. If i get 200 that is high in my experience. 2250! Wow. And at such an early year, 1814. I'm much impressed and mystified how you can achieve such. Also i never produced any Uranium and have only done so rarely in games.

The impressed AZA

I had also once in the game a great bonus around 2000... I have to look it up how much it was.

I had no Uranium vans. I'm not sure but I think some city improvements in combination with the right tech triggers the uranium van. Which city improvements had those cities Charlie??? I still have trouble getting those vans and there must be a reason for it...

Charlie Chuck writes...
I had quite a lot of uranium vans and demand which helped a bit towards the end, I wonder if the desert helped that? My largest was a gold van which I've attached.

Wow, i have never, never seen such a high Caravan delivery award in my games, and i have been playing for years, since it was first released. If i get 200 that is high in my experience. 2250! Wow. And at such an early year, 1814. I'm much impressed and mystified how you can achieve such. Also i never produced any Uranium and have only done so rarely in games.

The impressed AZA

If I remember it was demanded gold from a large coastal city (about 70-80 trade arrows), I can't remember if I had bribed Ultica by then or if it was still a Carthag city, I think it was Carthag. The large distance and shape of the map helped the bonus a lot. I think it was my biggest ever vanload. I was getting over 1000 for uranium very regularly towards the end when I owned ultica & Malaca and that was from fairly small cities of mine.

I found my highest trade. It was in 1900 AD and it was a silver delivery to the Carth's city Utica. I earned 2474g....

Reproduced a screenshot from it:

The winner!

Finally just finished. I managed to bribe/capture most of the AI wonder cities in the last few turns, along with a few other cities which helped bump the score up a bit.

Top Bottom