GOTM62 - Second Spoiler

civ_steve

Deity
GOTM Staff
Retired Moderator

GOTM 62 - second spoiler

Germany is not known for being a sea-faring power. But with so little land to start with, I trust you found a way overseas rapidly. How did the Middle Ages go for your Germany? Any difficulties acquiring the resources you needed?

Reading Requirements:

1. Must have contact with All remaining Civs.
  2. Must be able to research an Industrial Age Technology.

Posting restrictions

1. No maps showing Industrial or Modern resources.
  2. No discussion of Industrial Age (or later).

Predator

Entered MA in 10AD. We got monotheism and swapped with Russia's feudalism.
I stopped research then for some time to upgrade warriors and swords. Later I researched chivalry (by 300AD) and then stopped research for the rest of the game.

War with Carthage continued and we had their home island by 170AD. Left their second island for later and transported the troops to the French/English lands.

Razed Canterbury and captured London in 320AD. We got our first leader near London and built the palace there. England stayed until 390AD giving still war happiness, then their last city got destroyed.

War on France started in 330AD. They also stayed in the game pretty long for war happiness purposes and got finally removed in 460AD.

In the meantime Carthage was eliminated between 430AD and 460AD.

The Spanish campaign started in 460AD. We got another leader that built Sun Tsu in Murcia. And while capturing their last city in 550AD still another leader to build GLib for a few turns of golden age.

Hostilities in Russia started in 530AD. 630AD their last city falls for conquest in 640AD.

I cruised to MM in a hurry. GLH and FP handbuilt in Hamburg. Apart from that just settlers, warriors, swords, galleys.
I stopped research after MM. Made some mean trades to reach MA soon after 0 BC. Free tech was Feud :bounce:
My Swords and MDIs ruled the world. We stayed in Despotism till the (for our enemies) bitter end. :scared::whipped:
To the end I whipped some temples to gain territory. I wish someone had researched lit for me... :cry:

I started on Russia because they had the best land. I jumped my palace to St Petersburg in 30 BC.
My core was not completely improved though till the end...

First MGL had rushed Sun Tzu's in former Russia (too late for FP :aargh: ). Warriors could be built in the smallest desert village then.
Three more founded armies to fight on Cartaghinian and English / French soil. MDI armies suck in Ptw :lol:

We had no golden Age - at least none of those that end after 20 turns...
Spain and Cartaghe had theirs - my people did not find out, what this "Golden Age" was good for... :D
Question to the audience: Does a wonder triggered GA start when building a small wonder after capturing the necessary big wonders (maybe I should have tried)? :hmm:
edit: I just saw that TGL is the only SCI-wonder in the AT - so no chance for a GA for my illiterate people in this game...
Who said the pen is mightier than the sword?!? No German I bet :D

After Russia I went for Spain (most advanced and had seen some things in Russia they should not report :evil: ). Then I split my forces and went for France (England allied at first) and Carthage at the same time. I made peace for towns, raped rop and bought tech for gpt whenever possible - and backstabbed whenever there was something to gain. I mean, I was really fierce this time :ar15: :run: :D
I guess I will have to play a peaceful VC next time to cool down a bit :hmm:

edit:
Spoiler :
warrior, granary, settler.
100% research, road before mine whenever possible.

3500 Pottery.
2590 Alpha.
1790 Writing.
1275 Map Making - reserach Lit @min.

1125 galley meets Carthaginians. They know Mas, TW, WC. no MM
1025 Carthage knows MM. Meet France. They offer 9g for MM
Trade contact to Carthage for Mas, TW, 51g
925 meet England. Trade contact to Carthage for WC, wm, 9g.

GLH is built.

meet the Russians. Get IW, CB, 54g for Writing. Maths, Myst, 20g for MM.

built first harbor. Get Iron from Cartaghe for Maths.

meet Spain. Russians own the best land. We'll go there first.

sneak attack Russia with 12 swords.

Spain knows Russia - no rop possible
Hamburg finishes FP in preparation of palace jump.

Russia eliminated.

30 BC
My first ever palace jump - 14 units ensure our new capital in St Petersburg.

130 AD
Everybody knows cons. Buy it from England for Phil, Poly, Curr. Enter MA, draw Feud
attack Spain.

230 AD
1st MGL rushes Sun Tzu's.

280 AD
2nd MGL - what's that good for?!? Found an army.

300 AD
F3-crash - reload from autosave - replay agap.
Spain conquered. Final kill gets us another MGL.

430 AD
France is erased.

450 AD
England bites the dust - one-on-one with Hannibal...

490 AD
a 2/4 NM and a reg archer provide strong resistance in Hannibals final stronghold...

500 AD
ten MDI finally overwhelm the NM and his archer. We are all alone.

The result:
Entry class: Predator
Game status: Conquest Victory for Germany
Game date: 510 AD
Firaxis score: 5141
Jason score: 10560

Game: Classic GOTM 62
Date submitted: 2006-12-16
Software Version: PtW 1.27f for Windows
Entry class: Open
Game date: 870 AD
Firaxis score: 4123
Jason score: 9483

stopped research after map making and iron work. then conquered the world... which again i did very slowly :)

Game date: 720 AD
Firaxis score: 4470
Jason score: 9760
Time played: 06:42:49

Game date: 510 AD
Firaxis score: 5141
Jason score: 10560

Well, Paul, that is close:

Game date: 500 AD
Firaxis score: 5146
Jason score: 10537

Spoiler coming shortly.

Game date: 250 AD
Firaxis score: 5711
Jason score: 10961
Time played: 08:24:09

Spoiler:
Research Map Maping + Iron Working. Build The Great Lighthouse. Build galley ship chains everywhere + upgrade warriors + stay in Despotism and pop rush as much as possible -> Conquest.

Più Freddo;4939872 said:
Game date: 500 AD

:gripe: :aargh: :wallbash: :badcomp: :vomit:
:suicide:

In 490 AD Hannibal had two towns left, The capital with 2 NM I took easily but the other town had 3 NM and an archer - too much for my 3 MDI :ack:

Could anybody please come up with a less close decision?!? :rolleyes:

edit: Ah, thanks, drazek, you saved my day (sorry Piu). :ack:
And there goes the gold also (if not already robbed by Klarius).
The domination award goes to an Open class contender with a victory in 880 AD... :dunno:

Predator, Conquest

As we left off the Germans in 90 AD at the beginning of the Middle
Ages, they were at war with the Russians and so could not immediately
tickle out their bonus Technology. The Germans themselves had gotten
Monotheism.

During the Russian campaign, the German luck held on. At the siege of
Sevastopol the Great Military Leader Richtoffen emerged. He was
obvoiusly dyslectic and couldn't spell even his own name. The great
Chancellor Bismarck, having as we remember captured The Great Library,
a Scientific Great Wonder, in Moscow, was in need of a Military Great
Wonder in order to initate a Golden Age for his German Empire. He had
the plans for a Great Wall at hand but the chance that the Russians
would provide him with better plans made him put Richtoffen on
hold. He had heard rumors of an academy of war lead by a distinguished
Chinese gentleman. While fighting the Russians, Bismarck also
developed his new Empire Core around the Forbidden Palace in
Stuttgart.

130 AD 134 Capture Smolensk
150 AD 135 Capture Kiev
150 AD 135 Capture Sevastopol
150 AD 135 Emerge Military Great Leader Richtoffen
170 AD 136 Found Bonn
190 AD 137 Capture Tblisi
190 AD 137 Found Salzburg
230 AD 139 Capture Odessa
230 AD 139 Found Dortmund​

Then in 260 AD the knowledge of Construction was disseminated in all
lands and Russia discovered Feudalism, which it promptly taught our
Germans in exchange for peace. A massive barbarian uprising
immediately followed in the vicinity of the Russian OCC in the far
south. Bismarck now had the plans he needed and ordered the
construction of Sun Tzu's Art of War on Alpha continent. Now how did
Richtoffen get that spelling right?

Bismarck also resumed research, viz. for the knowledge of Chivalry.
Many Workers were brought to Alpha continent to mine grassland and
irrigate plains, for now the Golden Age had started. And even so,
German troops had already landed in Spain.

260 AD 141 Peace Russia
260 AD 141 Learn Feudalism
260 AD 141 Found Brandenburg
270 AD 142 War Spain Lose Russian Luxuries on home island
270 AD 142 Capture Toledo
280 AD 143 Build Sun Tzu's Art of War
280 AD 143 Found New Berlin
280 AD 143 Enter Golden Age
290 AD 144 Capture Seville
300 AD 145 Capture Barcelona reconnecting Russian Luxuries plus local Wines​

The warring ways of the Germans did not please all. In 310 AD the vile
Carthaginians sneak attacked Germany and captured the demilitarized
city of Cologne. This didn't deter Bismarck from destroying the
Spanish and then take on France and Carthage simultaneously.

Lucky Otto was presented with a third Military Great Leader by the
name of Hengest at the rape of Paris, and promptly had him build The
Great Wall in that city lest someone else build it first.

Russia was soon destroyed and unsuspecting England attacked under a
right-of-passage agreement.

310 AD 146 War Carthage
320 AD 147 Peace Spain
330 AD 148 War Spain
340 AD 149 Capture Madrid with The Colossus
340 AD 149 Found New Leipzig
390 AD 154 Found New Hamburg
390 AD 154 Peace Carthage
400 AD 155 Destroy Spain
400 AD 155 War Carthage
410 AD 156 Capture Paris
410 AD 156 Destroy France
410 AD 156 Emerge Military Great Leader Hengest
420 AD 157 Build The Great Wall for denial
420 AD 157 Capture Carthage
420 AD 157 Found New Konigsberg
420 AD 157 Capture Sverdlovsk
420 AD 157 Destroy Russia
440 AD 159 War England
480 AD 163 Destroy England
490 AD 164 Destroy Carthage
500 AD 165 Conquest Victory​

The German conquest could have come a few turns earlier had Bismarck
not counted so steadfastly on being able to win the far-away city of
Oea in a fake peace deal. Also in England the last remote city put up
the fiercest fight causing great losses for the German troops. As
Bismarck used to say: You can't have luck all the time.

It is not recorded exactly when the Germans discovered the art of
Chivalry, but the Russian and Spanish wars were fought mainly with
Swordsmen, and the later campaigns with Swordsmen, Medieval Infantry
and Knights. The Knights were trained first as Horsemen and then
armour was bought for money. No more research was conducted.

Più Freddo;4940078 said:
Eh, thanks, but I didn't really count on an award. I was surprised to see Klarius being so slow, though.

With chamnix going for the cow and Klarius obviously playing after an exhausting new years day party I had thought there was little competition left, finally. Stupid me :blush: :lol:

I guess I should not aim for awards before it's only five contenders left - and even then there will be some guys taking multiple awards and leaving me behind with the ambulance :rolleyes:

nice story told. :goodjob:

The domination award goes to an Open class contender with a victory in 880 AD... :dunno:

Say it ain't so. I hit dom in 870ad (playing predator of course). 9659 Jasons.
I made the woeful decision to start the conquest with Carthage, using swords - they got massacred in huge numbers. Like many here, I had identified Russia as the ideal first victim, with the best land for an FP core, and accessible via Lighthouse-lit galley chaining, but I got distracted when Hanni built the Glib. It had always been my plan to have the AI build the Glib and then I'd trigger GA with the cheap-as-chips Wall, but having a golden age with just the German island and a newly developing second core on the Carthaginian island... :shake:.
As the calendar rolled on into the 8th century, I retooled for dom, leaving Spain standing with a single town on the Russian continent.

PaperBeetle said:
I hit dom in 870ad

Ah, well - reading all these conquest victories was giving me delusions of winning a domination award by default with my 19th century accidental domination while pursuing the cow.

I seem to have misplaced my spoiler notes, and I can't even find my submission confirmation, but I'm on the submission list. How much can you write about a milking attempt anyway? I conquered the world, left Russia as a OCC in a location that could never get above size 2, milked, milked some more, continued milking, dozed off :sleep:, woke up :coffee:, continued milking, and accidentally triggered domination when my Forbidden Palace town expanded - I didn't think it would pick up any new tiles, but obviously I was wrong :blush:. Hopefully, nobody else made a cow effort.

..., and accidentally triggered domination when my Forbidden Palace town expanded - I didn't think it would pick up any new tiles, but obviously I was wrong :blush:. Hopefully, nobody else made a cow effort.

:ack: yeah that's depressing... I guess there's no civver out here who did not encounter bad luck like that...
I was lucky to get a cow with a missed 20k-attempt :p

MapStat provides a nice list of expected cultural expansions where you can see aesily which towns' expansions you should take a closer look at (those with expansion level > distance to cultural borders). :old:

Domination in 1285 AD. Hmmm, too late as I see now...
I waited with attacking until Knights. Maybe that was an error on that level.

I was going for a military victory, soon realising that I was alone and that this island would not be large enough for my people. Everything went fine and I had a Colossus pre-build in Berlin for the GLH when the english finished the Colossus :mad: :cry:. I was a few (don't remember) turns away from Map Making, had no other wonder available and built a really expensive (don't remember). That was my only major setback, I went after domination with swords only building libraries for culture.

Game: Classic GOTM 62
Date submitted: 2007-01-07
Game status: Domination Victory for Germany
Game date: 1010 AD
Firaxis score: 3773
Jason score: 9218
Time played: 16:16:05

Won't be submitting once again :(
This time i was just plain unlucky. I got my motherboard fried on friday night... and so i lost the whole weekend in which i could have safely completed and submitted the game. Got a new part, reassembled the whole thing, reinstalled everything... but at this point time was little and i couldn't affort a whole night awake to play, not with all the coding work i have to do these days.

----

Anyway, i settled in place, founded 4 more cities at RCP 3.5 from the capital, a nice ring, looked like a jewel in the minimap :)

Went for the usual Map Making path, with Masonry in the meantime to give city 2 a useful prebuild for Great Lighthouse. I managed to build both the Lighthouse (city 2) and the Colossus (capital). Found other civs in the timeframe between 1100 BC and 800 BC. Soon traded everything, got a clear tech lead and gifted everyone to reach the Medievals.

In 370 BC i was in Republic, with 2 medieval techs already mastered and a luxury secured, in the far south peninsula of the Russian continent (strangely they neglected to claim that luxury). I used pop-rush extensively during the despotic age to complete quickly harbors in the faraway colonies.

Was preparing an invasion of the French / English continent, to claim land for the 2nd core and secure more resources. The 2nd core was to be built in that continent, hopefully with the help of a leader (i just needed one of them, since at regent level all the necessary wonders could have been built from scratch, once the 2nd core was established).

The next planned target was Spain, with Russia left as the contender (scientific civ - free techs), and Cartage to vote for me.

And then my MB fried :cry:

Well, don't worry. My comeback is just delayed by 1 month :)
See you with the Zulu!

Ah crap... I just checked to see how many entries there were for this game and I noticed that I forgot to submit my game. I knew I should have done it right after I finished but my #$%^&& internet connection was down and I did not remember to submit it.

Just for the record: Diplomatic win in 1750 AD - Jason score 6220

:blush: :confused: :crazyeye: :cry:

Looks like I either took one too many hits from the snake or killed off way too many brain cells during my youth...I looked at the Civ IV GOTM submittal table...I did get have a submission after all (how else would I have gotten a Jason score in my log file).

Well, time to round up some Impi and go hunting horses.

I looked at the Civ IV GOTM submittal table...

:lol: Right! Every time I go to check the list of submitted games, I'm like "Woah! We haven't had this many entries since Civ4 came out! Oh, wait, this is Civ4."

Top Bottom