GOTW ruined

Zevlupus

Chieftain
Thanks to a certain player posting the solution to the game of the week on Deity lately, the game of the week leaderboards are no longer legitimate.

This is highly disrespectful to those who have put the time and effort into working out their strategies themselves. Now, anyone who feels like being at the top of the highscores can just follow step-by-step instructions to the win.

I started this weeks game with a low time, planning to improve it throughout the week. However, as soon as this guide went up, the number of people with the best time jumped from 1 to about 8-9. I'm not going to bother with it anymore this week or in weeks to come. It's not worth the time and effort when others can take such an easy and cheap road.

Nothing wrong with posting a deity win. It was clever of him to work it out in the first place, its up to him who he shares it with! I'd love to see how someone can beat deity so quickly, i've only managed it at 2900bc on chieftain.

I agree it was wrong, it ruined the game for us that like to work it out for ourselves.

Nothing wrong with posting a deity win. It was clever of him to work it out in the first place, its up to him who he shares it with! I'd love to see how someone can beat deity so quickly, i've only managed it at 2900bc on chieftain.

There is something wrong with it when the people you are sharing with is whoever will sign up for your website. I had the same thought in the beginning. How do people win so quickly? So, I worked on it and was able to climb steadily to those quick victories. I've been high on the list in past weeks. At the top several times. I was excited about the ongoing competition this month and certainly had a shot at it. When I saw this last week I lost all interest.

Somebody posting it and people using it for deity lvl is wrong.

By pure luck the PS3 leader boards were not affected, but it is only a matter of time before they are. it will be very obvious though who is cheating as i only worked out 1500BC last week and nobody else was even close to getting into BC. I have been practicing for weeks to improve my deity scores, Grumbles69 offered me some advice and i chose to work it out for myself, i am still not getting perfect deity scores but they are improving and that is the fun.

I do have to say that i posted how to complete chieftain in 3000BC step by step guide the other week in anger, when the scores were not updating, but i had the sense to remove it a few hours later when i calmed down a bit and random fires pm me.

I do have to say that i posted how to complete chieftain in 3000BC step by step guide the other week in anger, when the scores were not updating, but i had the sense to remove it a few hours later when i calmed down a bit and random fires pm me.

I wanted to do that also in anger after the results were not posting, but I was afraid that I will punish other players, not the ones who deserve it.

As on the Xbox the number of players seem to be much higher, most people probably do not know what me and ByeByeToYou know: the leaderboards on the PS3 are broken anyway. The PS3 users have been "blessed" with two patches that only made it worse. Maybe 2k is ruining GOTW more than others.

I had a hunch the same antics would surface this week, thus didn't even bother with Deity, and played with no effort on any other level. Yes, the mode has lost it's appeal.
I too, wanted to know the mighty secrets of GOTW, read, played, learned, and played some more. But it's over.

I noticed that this individual had no interest in Gotw until losing their position in another Leaderboard.
(RE:the one week activity bug)
It's clearly site activity promotion, but also some revenge/angst I suspect. I don't defend or condone it by any means, but as it was noted, I agree, 2K just isn't helping matters either.

This was the first game that lured me out onto the net to discuss it. Instead of increasing my enjoyment, it has some how tainted my game play. In an effort to answer a question about the histogram, I've only come way with more troubling questions about the game, and the company that publishes it. Ignorance is bliss I guess.

So with solutions posted, killing any drive to play this
mode, lag and freeze issues that plague another, questions to other game concepts ignored, I'm pressed to play something else. I play to relieve stress, not induce it.

CivRev is like playing monopoly, knowing you don't have all the pieces. Your missing the chance cards, can't build hotels on boardwalk, the instructions are half torn, and there is no cool paper money to keep track of the score.

Now a player has printed themselves a bunch of get out of jail free cards....

Ha! Extremely well put Random Fires. That represents my feelings exactly. Game of the week was the one thing still drawing me in after I'd gotten all achievements and had some bad experiences with multiplayer (who wants to play for 2 hours only to have the game freeze up?). I have to say that after all this, the game is moving towards the bottom of the stack. That post was brilliant though.

I had a hunch the same antics would surface this week, thus didn't even bother with Deity, and played with no effort on any other level.

Last time I checked, there was no guide yet but a thread open with the promise of one once it is written.

Make the seed truly random and this problem is solved.
Thank You...Drive through!

Thanks to a certain player posting the solution to the game of the week on Deity lately, the game of the week leaderboards are no longer legitimate. This has been done as a shamelessly obvious way to promote his sub-par civ site.

This is highly disrespectful to those who have put the time and effort into working out their strategies themselves. Now, anyone who feels like being at the top of the highscores can just follow step-by-step instructions to the win.

I started this weeks game with a low time, planning to improve it throughout the week. However, as soon as this guide went up, the number of people with the best time jumped from 1 to about 8-9. I'm not going to bother with it anymore this week or in weeks to come. It's not worth the time and effort when others can take such an easy and cheap road.

But when civgameoftheweek.com posts a spreadsheet of the entire map its ok?

My vote - this guys angry for reasons entirely unrelated to civ.

Just chiming in here. I was also disappointed to see the step-by-step guide posted for last week's deity GOTW, as that sort of thing really does ruin the fun of the competition. I am often happy to give out a hint or two to somebody who is working hard to figure it out themselves, but these guides allow any schmuck to post a top score with no effort.

Unfortunately, nothing directly can be done to stop that sort of thing -- people can post whatever they want and I can at least respect the guy for having the brains to figure it out for himself. (And, while we both have been tending to achieve the same date, we generally have been doing it quite differently -- the strategies I have used in the past two week's GOTW challenges have differed significantly from the step-by-step guides he has posted.)

I have been in email and on-line communication with the individual in question, and I sent him a polite email last week with my thoughts on the subject. He responded by partly agreeing with me and agreeing not to post future step-by-step guides for the GOTW until the last day of the competition. While I would prefer they not be posted until after the competition is over, delaying until the last day would be at least be of some help in preserving the spirit of the competition.

In the meantime, I have been trying to get some friendly revenge against him by keeping his name from staying in the top slot on the XBox GOTW deity leaderboards -- we went back and forth on Sunday before he ended up creaming me with 2500 bc, but I just bumped him again this morning with a 2600 bc score. :mischief:

Sorry to see some of you may not be participating any more. Random Fires, I have been enjoying teasing you -- hopefully I came across as friendly rather than mean. Zev, while we have not directly communicated, I have been watching your progress with interest.

Cheers all!

Yeah, he totally shouldn't have the right to free speech. Hey, let's go lynch him.

No one's lynching anyone. Free speech is entitled to all. If he wants to promote his site, posts solutions, he's more then free to do so. Anyone public or private is free to do it.

It's about gamer etiquette.

If he waits till the end of the week.

Respect.

As simple as I can type it.

And remember the real root of the problem. The Game.

Here's a suggestion: why not try for the quickest cultural, economic or technology victory instead? Sure, you won't be listed as #1 on the leaderboard, but it's easy to see where you rank amongst other victories of the same type. I've had fun with GOTW this way.

Like any Xbox 360 leaderboard you really have to keep one thing in mind: better your score/time for YOU and don't worry about anyone else. You can't control how many people use a cheat to tie a high score. You can control whether you can get to that same level on your own terms or not.

Unless someone is glitching their way to an unattainable win, you can always get there also or surpass them. Just takes a little work. ;)

If anything, all this proves is that the Game of the week just doesn't hold up to competitive play. I'll avoid making further comments on this now since I haven't read the solution or played much of game of the week on diety, just that this is fairly standard for most single player games with leaderboards.

If your looking for competition, it would be much better to play a competitive multiplayer game like Street Fighter or Starcraft.

Top Bottom