Where is everyone?

planetfall

Emperor
Interesting... I have not been jumping on forum much lately as been involved IRL and past most of the learning curve of how does this game work? Since I had not visited or posted in a bit, I received a friendly reminder from forum to see what's new.

So why has your reading and posting dropped off?

For me, it was because trying different ideas in civ most don't play with my style. I often find few posters can help with tweaking the game, but there is usually good help in game play.I try to check in at least once a week to see if I missed anything. I know it's way way early, but always interested in seeing any news of civ7 and hope someone here might have some news to share.

So, again, why not posting?

It's just a lull. This is pretty normal, considering content and patching for Civ VI have dropped off and we haven't received a formal announcement of when the next game is due.

People are doing other things, and that's healthy.

Discord happened.

Also there is a point when for an older game everything is discussed. Then you have either an AAR/shadow game or an MP scene to keep interest or they simply won't be much going on. The MP communities for Civ4/5/6 are elsewhere and the story/AAR stuff in on Youtube nowadays.

In Addition to what Eagle Pursuit said, to me personally it's the lack of Discussions that I'm interested in. Most Discussions around here lately involve the monthly Challenges (which I couldn't care less about), Millennia (which I'm not interested in), and casual stuff like Funny Screenshots or Lego Wonders, which aren't exactly stuff for discussion (or at least, not lengthy and detailed ones).

What I find interesting, is that People love discussions (especially about new Civs/Leaders) and are quite active when the Game is receiving new Content and Updates, but only for official content/updates. Most People here play on PC, so I find it strange why they don't talk about Mods*. I think there is a big "hesitation/retention" towards Mods by many People, and I can't really explain why.

To me, there is no difference between Official and modded Content aside from older broken mods and mods that are too OP (just OP is ok, since there is already OP in official stuff). What's the Difference between the Game Modes from NFP and the countless Mods that add new Mechanics to the Game? The former is praised by most people, but the latter is ignored or looked down upon. Which I find very strange, bc there are many Mods that are of much better Quality than Official stuff and add much better gameplay/replayability to the Game, yet people hesitate towards using them, and treat them as something that could break the game (where in reality many even fix and balance the Game). Also, many People complain a lot about Balance, representation and want more content, yet refuse to believe that what they are looking for already exists in Mods. They want Civ X or mutually exclusive Buildings, yet they don't care about mods that add them, but only want them if they are officially added by Firaxis. And some complain about replayability, yet they don't want to use mods to add that replayability. My Question is: But Why?

What have become of the Community that existed because of Modding? I think Civilization VI reached a point where it won't receive much official support, and where mods will be the only thing that breathes live into the Game. If you're not a mod user then I'm afraid there isn't much left to talk about, but if you're open for mods then you'll have plenty of new things to try, discuss and... more turns to play.

*Good Examples include: Urban Complexity, Grand Eras, City Lights, Monopoly++, Strategic Forts, Sui Generis, Real Natural Disasters, Movable Districts, Nomina, A Mountain is fine too, Civilizations Expanded...etc.

EDIT: This isn't just an Issue on CFC, but also observable on Reddit for example.

Last edited:
I could not imagine dissapointment if instead of Civ7, announcement being about some sci-fi, fantasy, super-hero etc spin-off to Civ.

"Lets reimagine Civ franchise by adding Marvel and DC super-heroes fighting aliens, coming fall 2025".

That would single-handed destroy both game and this forum.

But, on more optimistic side .... Civ 6 will probably be 9, or even close to 10 years old when next game comes-out .... thats crazy.

There's more activity in the Ideas and Suggestions with people talking about what they would like to see for Civ 7.

Well idk... there's 2k and other games around too that take time. Doing life and staying busy also a reason why I haven't posted much I think.

waiting till civ7 is announced. looking at my crystal ball i foresee 100s posts within the first minutes of the info drop
I look forward to the days where we analyze every pixel. I remember trying to figure out if Zulu were in PURELY ON COLOURS.. I was wrong it was a city state BUT IT WAS FUN.

I could not imagine dissapointment if instead of Civ7, announcement being about some sci-fi, fantasy, super-hero etc spin-off to Civ.

"Lets reimagine Civ franchise by adding Marvel and DC super-heroes fighting aliens, coming fall 2025".

That would single-handed destroy both game and this forum.

But, on more optimistic side .... Civ 6 will probably be 9, or even close to 10 years old when next game comes-out .... thats crazy.
If they announce something that's not Civ VII, I won't buy it purely out of spite.

If they announce something that's not Civ VII, I won't buy it purely out of spite.
Sid Meier's Not Actually By Sid Meier's Alpha Centauri 2: The Lawsuit Should Be Fun

Sorry, I've been playing a bit of SMAC since buying it for the . . . third? time? As it as recently released on Steam. Despite sucking an incredible amount at it (it's been a long while since my last stint, and I've only recently remembered to hammer the Enter key to skip the ingame videos that cause it to force-minimise to desktop on later versions of Windows), it's sticking in my head a bit.

The difference between a mod and something firaxis does is that I have more confidence the AI will know how to play with something firaxis does. I'm not interested in playing a different game to the AI, where I can use some mechanic (because I'm a human and understand how said mechanic works) while the AI can't.

To be honest even my own "dags even more great people mod" kind of suffers from this. I'll notice AI not use Alcuin (Great Scientist, gives player one-off boost to science but also must be activated at a foreign holy site, that holy site gains science from its faith adjacency) until I negotiate open borders with them (As in, the AI doesn't negotiate open borders on their own accord). But I won't play without my mod since I find it more egregious running out of great people all the time.

Discord happened.

This 👆

Also social media.
Lots of Civ related discussion now on X(/Twitter) and Facebook(?).

The Civ modding discords are very busy.
It looks like these sort of forums are going the way of the dinosaur. Soz.

2K quietly shut down their own forums several years ago as well.

This 👆

Also social media.
Lots of Civ related discussion now on X(/Twitter) and Facebook(?).

The Civ modding discords are very busy.
It looks like these sort of forums are going the way of the dinosaur. Soz.

2K quietly shut down their own forums several years ago as well.
"Fashion" all that... Nothing's better than a good ol' forum with its various topics as a list and its sub-forums. I really dislike Discord because it's endless discussion all in one block, and in active ones it's easy to miss hundreds messages in 1 day. That's in fact the inferior version of forums where you connect directly without going through a browser like in the 80's Minitel, and alike Twitter it's often to dump one line sentence or a smiley. You would look as psychotic if you were doing else.

I don’t think it’s because of Discord that there has been little discussion here lately. Discord has been popular for literally years. It started taking off the same year Civ 6 came out.

It’s just what others have said: Civ 6 is an old game and we’re all just waiting for Civ 7.

Top Bottom