Gran Colombia or Brazil

Which would you prefer?

• Gran Colombia

Votes: 66 44.0%
  • Brazil

Votes: 84 56.0%

• Total voters
Both are nice for me, but I think Brazil can be really fun.

Also, Gran Colombia would represent many countries that could be in the game by their on merit, like Bolivia, Colombia or Venezuela. Its the same problem I had with Austria-Hungary. I like they choose to go only for Austria.

For me, the last civ must be South American...we already got 2 more on Africa (Ethiopia and Carthage), 3 more from Europe (Austria, Celts and Netherlands) and 2 more from Asia (Bizan and Huns).

Yuck. Both are pretty boring modern states, recent Iberian colonies.

For S America, I'd like to see natives like the Mapuche or Guaraní.

EDIT: Tamoio Federation another appealing call, on analogy with the Iroquois.

Pangur Bán;11401280 said:
Yuck. Both are pretty boring modern states, recent Iberian colonies.

For S America, I'd like to see natives like the Mapuche or Guaraní.
I concur, íf there'd be another South American civ I'd rather see any of the older and native civs.

It'd be awesome if they did a South America über-dlc, with Mapuche, Guaraní, Brazil and Gran Colombia, and a scenario set in 19th century South America.

Personally I think all those civilizations are interesting enough to be in the game, but for the purpose of my thread, I'd have to go with Brazil, they have a longer history and are a viable candidate for a Super Power. Of the modern large post colonial countries often suggested on these forums, Canada, Australia and Brazil, it is by far the most deserving.

I would love to see the Mapuche, but lets be honest, most of the world has never heard of them, I think modern nations like Gran Colombia and Brazil have got a better shot at filling South America, and there's rumors of coffee being a new resource (Both Colombia and Brazil are massive Coffee producers)

Both areas have rich history, culture, and been involved in many conflicts. The Cristo Redentor is a wonder in Civ V, and Rio de Janeiro is a CS already, its not really that far fetched to consider Brazil into the game, besides if Portugal is not going to be in, Brazil could get us a portuguese speaking leader, without crowding Europe more, and filling south america the same time.

But I have to be honest, just imagining Bolivar in a Civ game makes my inner fan go crazy.

Anyway, I guess we could decide it by whom could get its own DLC scenario, and I think Gran Colombia with Simon Bolivar could just as well get its own revolution against Spain scenario later on, either play an American civ or try to hold your empire together as Spain. Or something along those lines.

So, my vote goes Brazil, with lots of hope for a Gran Colombia DLC.

I honestly can't see them adding Brazil, nor do I understand why they would. They have a strong economy now, but when in their history have they been that influential? Granted, Brazilian history is not my strong suit, but who would their leader be? I don't really want a modern nation in Civ without that much of a history. The U.S. is really the most modern nation in the game, but they have been a major world power for a while, and their government has significantly influenced other governments for over 200 years now. What influence has Brazil done except in very recent times? If I'm missing something, please tell me...

I'd much prefer another African civ personally, but if I had to choose between the two, I'd take Gran Colombia due to Bolivar's influence in Latin American history.

gran colombia because i think it represents latin america more than brazil does.

inb4youforgotaneitheroption.

I would love to see the Mapuche, but lets be honest, most of the world has never heard of them, I think modern nations like Gran Colombia and Brazil have got a better shot at filling South America, and there's rumors of coffee being a new resource (Both Colombia and Brazil are massive Coffee producers)

Believe it or not more people in the world have probably heard of the Mapuche or Guarani than Iroquois, it's just that Americans happen to learn about the Iroquois but not the Guarani or Mapuche/Araucanians (Incidentally, Darwin's Voyage of the Beagle gives a great account of them in the 19th century). Today they are still living cultures, dominant in Paraguay and Chile respectively. We can hardly keep such a vast portion of the earth's surface blank just because Americans don't learn about the region. Siberia is another blank region btw ... a 10th of the world's land surface, though I suppose we could count the Mongols here.

Ignorance of them is exactly the reason for having them: they're fun and exotic, and after playing everyone will know them. Ignorance is a problem for the first time playing with them, not afterwards. The Mapuche would be a positively great addition, since they have a charismatic military history and are the great enemy of the Inca.

This is supposed to be a civilization game, not a modern nations states game. Nothing more boring for me than playing a bunch of modern western civs. Might as well play Victoria II or Hearts of Iron III.

I did not forgotanotheroption!
I was only interested in which one of Brazil or Gran Colombia was the most popular!
I'd actually prefer Mapuche over Brazil, I even thought up some unique units for them a while back.

hence the inb4! i have no problem with either of them. i just want something east of the andes.

also, i googled tamoio federation and pretty much all i got was this thread and something in south africa.

IF I had to choose one of the two I would choose Gran Colombia because I think they could do many interesting things with it.

But you should include more South American Options in the Poll.

Particularly the Chachapoya who were arguably the second most important civ in South America behind the Inca. I would much rather have a South American Pre-Colombian civ and one like the Chachapoya who were a huge trading civ, with distinct cities and architecture, fought big wars, etc. rather than the Tupi or Chibcha or Mapuche (A sioux of South America yuck)

Since the name of the expansion is Gods and Kings and all of the new civilizations have either a King or a Queen to represent them,my vote goes to Brazil,because their leader(Pedro II) was an Emperor,while Simon Bolivar was a President .

hence the inb4! i have no problem with either of them. i just want something east of the andes.

also, i googled tamoio federation and pretty much all i got was this thread and something in south africa.

It's more of an event that a nation, but that's like the Iroquois:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederação_dos_Tamoios
Main constituent element was the Tupi/ Tupinamba, who themselves are a better suggestion than Brazil.

Particularly the Chachapoya who were arguably the second most important civ in South America behind the Inca. I would much rather have a South American Pre-Colombian civ and one like the Chachapoya who were a huge trading civ

But they are too close to the Inca, and wouldn't solve the empty space problem. :)

As there is much discussion in the forums about which civ will fill the last spot, and a lot of people like to point out that South America is rather empty, I thought to myself:
"Modern(ish) civ would the other forumers prefer?"
Gran Colombia or Brazil?

No, doubtful its either at this point. They have the Inca for now I doubt they would add another from South America. Sumer would be my guess.

However, I spoke too soon, if it was South America I would choose Gran Colombia and Simón Bolívar. I hope it is, that would be very interesting.

Pangur Bán;11401502 said:
But they are too close to the Inca, and wouldn't solve the empty space problem. :)

Well it would somewhat. They did have some Amazonian territory and cities.

And were much more Northern than the Inca

Pangur Bán;11401479 said:
It's more of an event that a nation, but that's like the Iroquois:
http://pt.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confederação_dos_Tamoios
Main constituent element was the Tupi/ Tupinamba, who themselves are a better suggestion than Brazil.

Not exactly . The Native tribes that lived where Brazil is now weren't so united against the foreigners Europeans,unlike the Northern tribes,which were famous for this resistance . In fact,some of them even helped the Portugueses against other tribes(and even helped them against other Europeans,like the Frenchs) . And one of the most critical problems with these is the fact that they didn't even found any cities .

What I don't understand is why you say they are a better suggestion than Brazil .

One more argument for Brazil is that it is, as far as culture goes, is unique. Well, somewhat uniqu, lots of similarities with the rest of latin america and the caribbean, but still.

Spanish has a lot more similarities with Spaniard latin America than Brazil(even if it's in another continent),because Portuguese language is a lot of different from Spanish language .

Top Bottom