Graphics Cards

Colonel

Pax Nostra est Professionis
In the market for a new set of graphics cards. Any recommendations based on the specs listed below would be greatly appreciated. I built mine is 2013 but I don't think a new build in necessary just wanting to update the graphics cards.

Core: Intel i7-3730 Ivy Bridge Quad
PSU: RAIDMAX RX-1200AE
RAM: 32GB DDR3
Board: Intel LGA 1155 Intel Z77

Current Graphics Cards GTX 670 x2 w/SLI bridge

My advice would be to wait about 3 or 4 months and do some research. Things are changing as both nVidia and AMD have announced new series of graphic cards. They are both having huge supply issues due to silicon wafer shortages and COVID and those new cards are not available, making the older generation hold their prices or even some increases in price. In the new year, there is hope that the supply issues will be resolved and when that happens the market should be more friendly for people seeking new graphics cards.

You should find the new cards have enough power so you will not need, in fact I'm not sure they are any longer capable of, SLI. Your old motherboard may not be capable of taking advantage of the new power, it depends upon what your motherboard and processor are capable of for PCIE standards.

What leif said. The stock levels are extremely low right now; Newegg appears to be completely sold out of both current and previous generation cards from AMD and nVIDIA. My local brick-and-mortar store is slightly better, with the Radeon 5500 XT, 5600 XT, and 5700 XT in stock, although at prices that are significantly above MSRP despite their being previous-generation cards that have been out for over a year.

If I had to buy one tomorrow due to spontaneous combustion of my current card, I'd probably go with the 5600 XT as a mid-upper range card, though the 5700 XT would be positioned closer to where your 670 was when it was new. But really the answer is, buy whatever you can find, or buy a used one. Used 1080s are going for $350-$400, which isn't great value but may be better than what can be found new depending on when you need it.

And indeed, SLI and CrossFire are both dead or near-dead, with only the top-end ($1500 MSRP) nVIDIA card supporting SLI, and no new drivers for it after 2020.

So here we are 6 months later...
I have not had any luck in getting a new graphics card. I do the newegg shuffle every day. I think I am about 2000th place on the evga queue. I can't do the stock monitor things on my work pc. Anyone have any luck?

For those of you in need of a graphics card, like my son has been for some time, the prices are coming down rapidly. You may want to start shopping and comparing prices. :)

Top Bottom