Is this a good build for modern games.

A7xomar

Chieftain
Hello, I want to buy a gaming PC and came up with this build for gaming. I'm new to the forums so I don't know how much time it will take for someone to respond, if any. I want to run games like GTA V, CSGO, etc. Tell me if this is good or what I could improve, but still stay in the $700-$900 range. Thank you for in advance for viewing this thread.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Quad-Core 3.5GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5T OC

MOBO: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (SLI ready)

RAM: HyperX 8GB 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600

HDD: WD10EZEX

PSU: Raidmax RX-700GH

Case: Raidmax Vampire ATX-001WWTi

Welcome to CivFanatics. :wavey:

Looks good! :thumbsup:

Please make sure you have an adequate power supply.

Consider a 250GB Solid State Drive? Will make quite a difference.
You can still keep the conventional HDD for data storage.

PSU seems to be 700 watts. That's good enough for that build.

Also, if I were you, change ram to 16GB. If your MOBO cannot support that, pick another one.

Hello, I want to buy a gaming PC and came up with this build for gaming. I'm new to the forums so I don't know how much time it will take for someone to respond, if any. I want to run games like GTA V, CSGO, etc. Tell me if this is good or what I could improve, but still stay in the $700-$900 range. Thank you for in advance for viewing this thread.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K Quad-Core 3.5GHz

GPU: MSI GeForce GTX 960 2GD5T OC

MOBO: MSI Z97S SLI Krait Edition (SLI ready)

RAM: HyperX 8GB 240-pin DDR3 SDRAM 1600

HDD: WD10EZEX

PSU: Raidmax RX-700GH

Case: Raidmax Vampire ATX-001WWTi

Unless you know what you are doing, and have a bit of luck, CPU overclocking won't give you a noticable improvement in gaming performance.

So you could go for a $80 ballpark mainboard ( e.g. the ASRock B85 Pro4) and a i5-4590
instead of a K-model, without missing out on anything.
Should save about $70.

GPU is fine, as long as you are aware that it will have limited longevity, and you might need a new one in 2-3 years.

Memory is fine, 16GB is pointless for gaming at this time, and if the need for more RAM comes up, it is easily upgradable.

700W is ridicoulously overpowered for that build, even with CPU overclocking you are unlikely to reach 300W power consumption.
Without overclocking, it will peak out around 200W in demanding games.
Raidmax isn't exacly a well-known brand, and appears to have a less-than-stellar reputation.
I would recommend a modern (i.e designed in 2014 or 2015) decent quality PSU from the likes of Seasonic or Antec in the 500W range.
E.g. the Antec EDGE 550,
which has gotten a few very positive reviews.

I second the recommendation for a SSD, the is really no excuse anymore for skipping a SSD when big-brand 250GB models can be had for $100.
And you WILL notice the difference a SSD is making every time you use your machine, as opposed to the very minor effect of a slighly faster CPU.

What Leif and Tokala said. FSP Group and Silverstone also are reputable PSU builders. But you really cannot go wrong with Seasonic.

I'd save money on the mobo and CPU (and really, the RAM... just buy the cheapest RAM you can find) and put that into an SSD and a 970 over the 960.

960 is good, but 970 is really the sweet spot right now.

Top Bottom