Graphics Errors with BAT Mod

alerum68

Priest of Hiroshima
This has been an on going issue related to the VD Mod that is the core to the graphics of BAT. Art files are being upgraded and improved with each release, but sometimes mistakes will slip through.

These are a list of common problems that BAT will likely have going into the future:

1) Instead of having a different graphic for each cultural style, it has one for each civilization. IIRC, there are 34 civs in the game, and only 5 cultural styles. That means there are 7 times the amount of artwork that BAT uses over BTS. The way BTS loads graphics is if there is a single unit present, say a Arabian Axeman, it will keep that artwork loaded into memory. So if you have alot of different unit types, especially with civs that are very primitive, it will means alot of units are loaded into the memory of your graphics card.... that's the important part here. It's not how much that is loaded into your RAM, but your Graphics card. Eventually you're going to get a Memory Allocation Error because of this.

2) Almost all the graphics used are user created, by many different users. Some are better at it then others when it comes to making a good looking unit, that doesn't use to much memory. Over the years that CIV has been out, the users have become more knowledgeable on what needs to be done to make good graphics, but some of the best art out there still uses bad methods. This art is being worked on, and improved upon, but this will take time, and it's a big project, so things will slip through the cracks.

3) Missing artwork is a common issue, and can almost always be fixed by changing an xml entry or file. If we know if a fix, we will tell you of it, or post an updated xml file if there is one avaliable.

We can fix the missing artwork, but we cannot address the Crashes to Desktops caused later in the game. Please post all issues of this kind to the VD thread, so they can work on fixing those, but be patient as this is a painstaking process that others are paid millions for, but we get to do to help speed along the balding.;)

Well, I had a game that did the whole CTD thing, and wouldn't load anymore. :mad:

This is what I did:

I installed Varietas Delectat, version 7.5 as normal, then I copied the Assets folder from VD into my BAT Mod 2.1 folder, overwriting everything, and renaming "Varietas Delectat v8.0.fpk" to something else.

Load save and continue playing. :) Finish game - lose again. :( But heck, at least I was able to finish it. :)

This little tip brought to you by the letter N.

Lemon -

Great tip I am going to try this now too.

Just tried this did not work for me there might be a step missing you failed to document? Did you rename anyother files to get it to work?

I get "fail to uncompress game data" message and then it goes to desktop

Any other work around suggestions?

I uninstalled Varietas 8.0, then installed 7.5. Then I copied the assets folder from Varietas in the "\Firaxis Games...\Mods\Varietas Delectat" folder, merging it with the assets folder in BAT 2.1 (in the "custom assets\mods" folder), and having Windows copy over the files with the same names.

That was basically it. I'm not sure why you're getting the uncompress error. :(

Maybe you don't have the Varietas 7.5 FPK file in the assets folder? That's all that I can think of.

The only difference I can see from what we did was I did not have VD 8.0 installed as a mod therefore I did not uninstall it (I have nothing to uninstall, only VD I have is in BAT).

I will poke around a bit more...

Yup, im going to quit using BAT because of this. It's a nice mod and all.. but it's very frustrating.

Just recently, i had a game crash on me.. and i cant load my last autosave, or it crashes again. Thought it was just bad luck, but yesterday 2/3rds of the way into the game.. and same thing.

since installing BAT a week ago, i've completed 1 game. Also noticed some bugs. Washingtons eye's are pink. Macemen's build icon shows as Swordsman. A couple of Cartghage's ship build icons are the same as well. just to name a few.

gonna go back to using just BUG, BULL, Blue Marble, and King Kong's Flag mod.

@alerum68

Like I offered before, if you want I can port over LoR's ethnic graphics for you to use in BAT. They are equivalent to VD's in quality and scope (half the unit art is shared, and those that use different models do so because of a difference is taste between achilliszero and Avain, that's all). It would be a very easy port as well, since LoR's ethnic graphics are all separated in the XML into specific artstyle blocks.

Anyone know how to download VD 7.5 so I can try this fix? thanks

Edit: I found 7.5 and tried the fix above. Now the game crashes to desktop when trying to load my save for what appears to be a different reason. I think I'm going to give up on BAT for a while until this is all figured out.

By the way I noticed similar issues as an above poster mentioned. Some of the unit icons are incorrect. The Knight icon shows up for Curriassers.

since installing BAT a week ago, i've completed 1 game. Also noticed some bugs. Washingtons eye's are pink. Macemen's build icon shows as Swordsman. A couple of Cartghage's ship build icons are the same as well. just to name a few.

Yeah I'll have to stop using too until this is sorted out. And Washington looks way scarier than Sury ever could with this mod installed....

Edit: I found 7.5 and tried the fix above. Now the game crashes to desktop when trying to load my save for what appears to be a different reason. I think I'm going to give up on BAT for a while until this is all figured out.

Due to a blown up hard disk and motherboard, I've had to do the reinstall of BAT 2.1/VD 7.5 twice now, and both times it has worked flawlessly. To clarify, I did this:

1. Install BAT 2.1 as normal.
2. Install VD 7.5 as normal.
3. Install any Civ and expansion packs to VD as normal.
4. When you're happy that everything in VD is installed the way you wish, drag the Assets folder from VD to the BAT 2.1 folder. Tell Windows to merge the folders and overwrite every duplicate file.
5. Rename "Varietas Delectat v8.0.fpk" (In the main BAT folder) to "Varietas Delectat v8.0.old", and make sure that "Varietas Delectat v7.5.fpk" is in the same folder.

Voila! BAT should work with all of 2.1's goodness, but it won't crash anymore. I've played four complete games after doing this with no issues at all. Don't give up, it really does work. :)

Due to a blown up hard disk and motherboard, I've had to do the reinstall of BAT 2.1/VD 7.5 twice now, and both times it has worked flawlessly. To clarify, I did this:

1. Install BAT 2.1 as normal.
2. Install VD 7.5 as normal.
3. Install any Civ and expansion packs to VD as normal.
4. When you're happy that everything in VD is installed the way you wish, drag the Assets folder from VD to the BAT 2.1 folder. Tell Windows to merge the folders and overwrite every duplicate file.
5. Rename "Varietas Delectat v8.0.fpk" (In the main BAT folder) to "Varietas Delectat v8.0.old", and make sure that "Varietas Delectat v7.5.fpk" is in the same folder.

Voila! BAT should work with all of 2.1's goodness, but it won't crash any more. I've played four complete games after doing this with no issues at all. Don't give up, it really does work. :)

Having a blown up motherboard and HD sounds rather painful, especially if the HD took a load of stuff with it that you haven't backed up.!

Could anyone tell me if there is still a download link for VD 7.5....?

By doing the above merge, thanks for the info LM, apart from all the great advantages (like it works) will there be anything "missing" by no longer having the core 8.0 VD installed..?

Having a blown up motherboard and HD sounds rather painful, especially if the HD took a load of stuff with it that you haven't backed up.!
Yup. The CPU was damaged as well, but it took a few days to be noticed. :(

Could anyone tell me if there is still a download link for VD 7.5....?
I found the link here:

http://www.atomicgamer.com/files/80353/varietas-delectat-v7-5-bts-3-19

By doing the above merge, thanks for the info LM, apart from all the great advantages (like it works) will there be anything "missing" by no longer having the core 8.0 VD installed..?
You're welcome, and I haven't noticed anything missing. I would imagine that Avain's spiffy new graphics for 8.0 aren't there, though. It isn't a big deal, really. The big reason I did this in the first place was that I love the new BAT, but the new VD was killing it. This way I get everything, including the Modern Era Expansion from VD, which is why I play that mod in the first place. I always wanted the things from BAT, but they were mutually exclusive with the MEE. Now I've found a way to have both of my favorite mods together. It works wonderfully and makes me happy, and if anyone else uses the tip and likes the result, then that makes me happy as well. The more people who use the mods and support the modding community, the better it is for all of us in the end. :)

Yup. The CPU was damaged as well, but it took a few days to be noticed. :(

Now that reads to be rather expensive :( If you needed to replace the board and CPU that is also an opportunity, making consideration for whatever memory you have, to "upgrade" or change over from Intel to AMD etc etc...

Excellent, much appreciated, and I'm downloading it now :)

You're welcome, and I haven't noticed anything missing. I would imagine that Avain's spiffy new graphics for 8.0 aren't there, though. It isn't a big deal, really. The big reason I did this in the first place was that I love the new BAT, but the new VD was killing it. This way I get everything, including the Modern Era Expansion from VD, which is why I play that mod in the first place. I always wanted the things from BAT, but they were mutually exclusive with the MEE. Now I've found a way to have both of my favorite mods together. It works wonderfully and makes me happy, and if anyone else uses the tip and likes the result, then that makes me happy as well. The more people who use the mods and support the modding community, the better it is for all of us in the end. :)

"Spiffy new graphics", eh.?! Sold to the man who prides himself of being a sucker for eyecandy ;) Eek but now I see, or not to be precise, that it is them that could be missing..! Never mind I'll hang a bit of tinsel around my monitor, this will, at the very least, spark a little festive spirit in my game play. I too have been excited about the combination of the mods that I enjoy playing within one package. However as I had left playing Civ 4 for a little while I then missed a few generations of the VD mod but much to my delight the development of these wonderful mods have resulted in the creation of the latest BAT package. I'm sure that I will have you squirming with delight LM, as you have noted that it will also make you happy if others apply your carefully crafted instructions to enable them to play. Well you should indeed be more than happy as I can now report that the game does work and hopefully the only crashing found will be the sound of my global empire crumbling away as my rather inept style of playing encourages the usual ganging up on me by those evil tyrants. Sigh, if only Catherine wasn't such a hottie and cause my aged heart to flutter I would actually plan a campaign to annihilate rather than court her :D

Thanks again LM for your help :goodjob:

hey, I tried the work-around that Lemon Merchant posted above and it seemed to work for a while but I still get crashes to desktop very frequently. Dunno if anyone has any sort of advice on making this work? I'll miss my BAT mod if I have to go without. I even tried re-installing Civ4 and all the mods and patches, lol.

Does BAT 2.0 work fine? I'm not sure as I started using BAT with 2.1 and it didn't work for me - same issue as everyone else. I'm curious whether BAT 2.0 is stable since it seems easiest just to reinstall that version and use it as opposed to these complicated workarounds. The older versions are stored online on the download site.

I've been using BAT for a while and this problem has only really come up with 2.1 as far as I can remember.

Hi

Just wanted to say tyvm Lemon for the fix info and link for vd 7.5 you rock :)

Kaytie

Two major changes were made with BAT 2.1:

• Varietas Delectat 7.5 -> 8.0
  • BULL 1.0
Normally, I would suspect the new addition (BULL) as the more likely culprit, however there is strong evidence that VD 8.0 is to blame:

• I've been using BULL since February
  • BUFFY uses BULL with no similar crashing problems (Stack Attack bug fixed in BULL 1.0 notwithstanding)
  • Others have used BULL with BUG with no crashing
VD has always had the occasional crash and missing graphics, but 8.0 seemed to add either too many units--overloading most everyone's graphics cards--or incorrect art file names in the XML.

Downgrading to BAT 2.0 would certainly alleviate the crashing, but you'd be missing out on BULL. You could grab BULL 1.0 separately and install it into BAT, though, and be pretty close* to BAT 2.1, minus the crashing. :D

* The BULL in BAT 2.1 has the optional compile-time components Fractional Trade Routes and Sentry Actions turned on. You can, of course, compile your own DLL from the BULL sources to get these features.​

Top Bottom