Great Artists With Multiple Great Works

Assuming that Homer is included as a Greater Writer (and I would be sorely disappointed if he wasn't), and that Shakepeare's MacBeth has all but comfired that we are only getting one Great Work each, which do you think they will go with for him: The Iliad or The Odyssey?

Given that both are hugely influential and famous I can't see either of them as the real obvious choice. However, I would probably guess The Odyssey solely becuase people know the name better (as in it has been intergrated into modern language, at least in the case of English), dispite probably knowing the actual content and events in The Iliad bettter ( the Trojan war vs. the island of the cattle of the sun god).

Plus, we already have a quote from the Iliad.

Copyright issues are likely to arise in using snippets of Great Works of alive or recently deceased artists/writers/musicians, which is not something Firaxis had to worry about with the inclusion of Steve Jobs as a GM.

In the case of Firaxis, recently deceased means within the past 70 years (as Firaxis is American and has to respect American laws). After being deceased for 70 years, it becomes public domain.

The Iliad and the Odyssey is probably a coin flip, but I would greatly prefer the Iliad. It has a much more epic feel in my opinion. Like everyone else, it seems, I expect them to simply choose one work for each great artist and it will be fine. As much as I prefer Beethoven's 5th to his 9th, its not like they aren't both great and well known. Same for Shakespeare. There are so many great writers potentially, that I have no idea how they will decide what to include. Will it be novelists, poets, philosophers, playwrights? I guess all of them, but that is a ton of people. I expect amusing future threads arguing about the inclusion of Camus, but not Sartre. Or the relative merits of Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Raven' and 'The Tell-Tale Heart.'

Poe's work should be a short story, I mean he basically invented the genre. Either The Tell-Tale Heart or The Cask of Amontillado.

Sadly, it'll almost certainly be The Raven.

Well, if Shakespeare got Macbeth, which as people have said isn't what they expected or his most famous, I'd wager that Poe gets either "The Murders of the Rue Morgue" or "The Fall of the House of Usher". Also, in that regards, do we know yet if poems will even be included as possible great Works for Great Writers, since we have yet to see one be listed as such and the fact that many poets have also written books?

It would be surprising if they weren't, it's a fairly important genre and has been around much longer than prose fiction.

Although technically we already do have a poetic Great Work in since Macbeth is written in iambic pentameter. :p

It would be surprising if they weren't, it's a fairly important genre and has been around much longer than prose fiction.

Although technically we already do have a poetic Great Work in since Macbeth is written in iambic pentameter. :p
True, however Macbeth also works as a vague case of the matter, since it is also a play as well as published as a book, which means that we can't be completely sure which way Fraxis means it as (if they mean it to be any specific form at all) and thus can't really know if Great Works can be poems, yet.

I'm not quite sure why people are expecting only the "most famous" works to appear. Considering they are including the work of artists throughout the world, many of whom are entirely unfamiliar to me, and I suspect much of a western audience, I don't see why they should have to.

The specific works they feature are entirely up to the developers, musicians and artists at Firaxis, and they represent very little risk. Besides, the Civ audience is probably quite susceptible to finding out about new artists and works.

I'm not quite sure why people are expecting only the "most famous" works to appear. Considering they are including the work of artists throughout the world, many of whom are entirely unfamiliar to me, and I suspect much of a western audience, I don't see why they should have to.

The specific works they feature are entirely up to the developers, musicians and artists at Firaxis, and they represent very little risk. Besides, the Civ audience is probably quite susceptible to finding out about new artists and works.

I don't think it will necessarily be the most famous work, but with only a few seconds to present it they will need a snippet that gives a good feel of the total work. For music that may be the most famous as with the Hall of the Mountain King clip. Books and poems probably have a bit more flexibility though.

That sound you can hear is Coleridge spinning in his grave :lol:

True story, when my AP English class went over Rime of the Ancient Mariner half the class didn't know it was originally a poem and thought Iron Maiden wrote it.

Kids these days with their rocking and rolling need to be better acquainted with the classics.

Top Bottom