Great Quotes δ' : Being laconic is being philosophical

If a door is shut, attempts should be made to open it; if it is ajar, it should be pushed until it is wide open. In neither case should the door be blown up at the expense of those inside.

- Julius Nyerere

From my theology notebook as I review for midterms.
“Breaking Bread, and Better Caul Paul” - me, idk when
“It’s never Christmas until terrorists storm Nakatomi Tower.” - my teacher, 1:26 PM, 10/17/23
“God created the world, because of Google Snake” - the guy sitting next to me, 1:28 PM, 10/17/23
“So that’s where people go when they die. Britain.” Me, 2:05 PM, 10/20/23
“Was Saul JFK?“ me, 8:35 AM, 12/5/23

I ain't draft dodging. I ain't burning no flag. I ain't running to Canada. I'm staying right here. You want to send me to jail? Fine, you go right ahead. I've been in jail for 400 years. I could be there for 4 or 5 more, but I ain't going no 10,000 miles to help murder and kill other poor people. If I want to die, I'll die right here, right now, fightin' you, if I want to die. You my enemy, not no Chinese, no Vietcong, no Japanese. You my opposer when I want freedom. You my opposer when I want justice. You my opposer when I want equality. Want me to go somewhere and fight for you? You won't even stand up for me right here in America, for my rights and my religious beliefs. You won't even stand up for my right here at home.

- Muhammad Ali

I don't know whether this quote is authentic but I don't care either

20240101_121251.jpg

was reading some stuff ... Almost missed posting this on the first day of the year on local time

Spoiler :

01-01-2024a.jpg

01-01-2024b.jpg

01-01-2024c.jpg

commentary in the next spoiler ...
Spoiler :

screenshots all the way or something . They are from some report the brother-in-law of Victoria Nuland wrote and like they are kinda sorta lies . Everybody KNEW Article V was automatic . Like since when ı was in primary school . Attack one and fight all fifteen , as it was back then . Did not notice it at the time that the US was abandoning us to the mighty powerful Iraqis in 1987 or thereabouts as a prelude to Civil War here . In case you never heard Iranians happen to be first in using armed drones , firing RPG-7s and whatnot and mostly missing . This was not clear to some American general when he declared our Southast was not under the NATO nuclear umbrella . New Turkey was never allowed to call for V and am pretty sure IV already covers the Talk part where the politicians meet and promise all and deliver null . That of course does not work for the USA which got NATO AWACS patrols as their own went to war in Afghanistan .

the second says evil People are losers but they have big mouths and they DO talk a lot . This is why the good side was allowed to lie , because it was war and the bad side was never allowed to poison easy minds . This is a GENERAL statement , too . Rolling Stone warned us all against people who asked questions afterall .

the third could not be reduced to the neo-con part for screenshooting so it includes the Russian blogger thing . There really is a consensus or whatever that wants it to prolong until 2025 . Bad side will reinforce itself for the task when the America will truly dare to stab their "odd ally" in the back . The report sounds really negative for the West , too . Seems there have to be more stealth combat aircraft . They naturally will be none of ours . F-35s destroyed both of the Death Stars , right ? And much amused by the thing that proclaims we can still help the good side so that the Blacksea will almost be a NATO lake ! Which turns out to be a promise to not to force the two provinces return to their roots and everything will stay the same ... With two provinces making us Arabs all the way . People will have a field day discovering how cordial and patient other people have been .

yes , it is mighty glorious to learn Americans can not handle ideas .

Last edited:
“What if that went to trial and he was convicted?” I asked. “Should he still be electable?”​
“What’s the law say?” he said.​
“Don’t do that,” I said. “That’s what the law says.”​
“Accountability is accountability. But they’re throwing so much stuff at this guy, and it’s almost like I’m rooting for him,” he told me. “This is a whole system of government going after one man who, probably, I bet, right now, 85 million people want to be president.”​
“But accountability is accountability,” I said.​
“Accountability is accountability,” he said.​
“Whether it’s Hunter Biden or Donald Trump,” I said.​
“But do I trust the system?” he said. “I don’t.”​
“You’re a veteran,” I told him. “You are somebody who doesn’t trust the system that in the broadest sense you served.”​
“I have no trust,” he said.​
“The system you served,” I said again.​
“That’s right. I swore an oath,” he said. “I believed in that oath.”​
“When did you stop believing?” I asked Ted Johnson.​
“About when Trump became president,” he answered.​

— Michael Kruse, "‘Our System Needs to Be Broken, and He Is the Man to Do It’"

"In ancient times, hundreds of years before the dawn of history, an ancient race of people... the Druids. No one knows who they were or what they were doing....
But their legacy remains... here into the living rock of Stonehenge"
- Nigel Tufnel, musician

Similar to a quote by Descartes, and I am sure by many others too ^^
Cynics abound, so I'm not surprised that (Nobel prize winner) Hill's remark has been made by others.

The engineer I worked with for nearly 40 years is slipping into the same dementia that afflicted his mother and brother. He is so frustrated with the state of the world and its lack of progress on renewable energy and commitment to mitigate the effects of climate change that his hands ball into fists when he speaks. I've seen similar rage well up in some deaf people when they are exasperated and frustrated by situations that are difficult for them but not for everybody else.

In Brian's case it's like he has adopted an obsessional and pathological utilitarianism. Nothing else except engineering design and construction is important. And it's getting more extreme month by month.

He would be more laconic than Hill and just say, "What's the point of metaphysics?" (Or art, or literature, or any other creative endeavor that doesn't lead to a more efficient device or mechanism.)

I wonder if some of the others you mentioned were not just being sarcastic for sake of laconic wit, but they too had painted themselves into a corner, sitting with their backs to the wall, viewing the world through the aperture of a perfect right angle, but never any wider. :)

Descartes' one wasn't about metaphysics in general (since he was invested in that), but about philosophers. He said that philosophers invite you to a dark cave, because there you will be as blind as them ^^
At least he wasn't blind when arguing against Fermat's way of examining functions /sarcasm

The perfect detective story cannot be written. The type of mind which can evolve the perfect problem is not the type of mind that can produce the artistic job of writing. - Raymond Chandler.

Those big-shot writers could never dig the fact that there are more salted peanuts consumed than caviar. - Mickey Spillane.

I'd love to see those two guys duking it out in a car park. :)

I came across this. It's by Yvor Winters, a 20th c. poet and literary critic:

“The realm which we perceive with our unaided senses...may be an illusion; but in that illusion we pass our daily lives, including our moral lives; this illusion is quite obviously governed by principles which it is dangerous, often fatal, to violate; this illusion is our reality. I will hereafter refer to it as reality”

Nicely expresses how I've long felt about all the hand-wringing over whether we can know reality in its true essence. Maybe not. Likely not. But what we know of it is what we do in fact have to work with. The last sentence felt particularly liberating. Eff it. It is reality, for all intensive purposes.

Last edited:
The term 'liberal' is an Old French word meaning 'a completely free man,' which was to say, a nobleman.
Mark Kurlansky, A Basque History of the World.

Yeah, the "liberal arts," for example, were thought of as the studies appropriate for a person who is freed (by his wealth) from having to labor.

The term 'liberal' is an Old French word meaning 'a completely free man,' which was to say, a nobleman.
Mark Kurlansky, A Basque History of the World.
Yeah, the "liberal arts," for example, were thought of as the studies appropriate for a person who is freed (by his wealth) from having to labor.

We can take the derivation back much further in time than Old French; to the ancient Greeks and Romans, liberty (Latin libertas is where Old French got the word) meant more or less "not being a slave." This underscores how "wealth" in Gori's quote in fact means "the unfree labor of other people".

It is somewhat striking how in 2500 years we have advanced very little in our political thinking. The only "new" thing we've really done is rather incoherently apply the concept of liberty, which the ancients understood to be contingent on other people living in a state of non-liberty or domination, to everyone in society (in theory).

Now if only there was some philosopher who had thought a lot about this and tried to come up with new conceptions of freedom that are not conditioned on the unfreedom of others...

to the ancient Greeks and Romans, liberty (Latin libertas is where Old French got the word) meant more or less "not being a slave." This underscores how "wealth" in Gori's quote in fact means "the unfree labor of other people".
Yes, that's the time I'm referencing (when the notion of the liberal arts emerged), and yes, that's exactly what the economics of it were.

The contrasting arts, which we don't talk about much, were the artes serviles. The kinds of work appropriate to the (however you want to carry it over) people who have to labor to put bread on their table / the servile / slaves.

Top Bottom