Greetings to all!

What makes you think of changing it?
The main complaint is: it's a bit ridiculous to think of civilizations rising and falling because of tourism. Tourism, really, is just a particular commercial activity, a luxury consumption good. It didn't motivate the rush of archaeologists, the composition of operas, the production of literature. It didn't cause the collapse of communism or fascism, or rebellions and protest movements.
It's roughly 5% of global GDP, in today's global world where jet travel is available to the rich country middle class (and the Chinese and Indian upper middle class), and was likely much less than that in the past.
Basically: tourism just feels, well, small.

It makes more sense to think of "influence" or "prestige" - or "culture", of course - as being the big ideological influencing factors.

I'll revise all policies later.
Once you know what you're looking for ideas on, it might be worth creating BNW threads for brainstorming ideas, which include the GEM designs as a source of comparison/inspiration.

Tourism was chosen as a placative image that can be understood more easily than Prestige. It's rule of cool and trying to get away from the excel charts of other games. They needed a term for it and I'd say Tourism is certainly a part of all those factors they try to represent.

In the end, I'd say it doesn't really matter. We can change to Prestige and keep Hotels, or we can introduce wholly new terms. But then I'd argue also for changing happiness to stability, happy is a silly term as well, don't you think?

And so I would not want to change the term, if only for the simple reason to keep as close to the base game as possible and to keep the entry level low for new vanilla gamers. Keeping the same terms help a lot in that regard.

Stability instead of happiness would be fine with me :)
[And then we could change culture to "institutions", and tourism to culture!]

But:
if only for the simple reason to keep as close to the base game as possible and to keep the entry level low for new vanilla gamers
is a good argument. It's a very minor issue.

Also voting for the change to tourism's name while recognising that it's not a pressing issue.

To cite precedent, GEM also changed "Declaration of Friendship" to "Alliance", a much more appropriate term historically and gameplay wise.

The other precedent are the unit name and tech changes, which I think were quite flavorful.

Ah yes, Prestige was the word I'd heard before, & I like it a lot. I agree, though, that fixing up policies & tenets is much more important ;).

Aussie.

This mod is fantastic! I've only hit Renaissance era and I'm just loving it :D A lot of changes that just make so much sense. Thankyou for boosting piety, I'm playing as Theodora :) Its good to play vs smart AIs rather than boosted AIs.

No possible way to ever play multiplayer?

peace!

Nickos

Top Bottom