Grid or No Grid!

Do you turn on Grids in your game?

• Total voters
I didn't need the grid in Civ3 and I need it even less now. Somehow, I've never had trouble seeing the grid in my mind's eye when I needed it...

Grid. I like the 'naturalness' as one poster put it but for me its a nightmare distinguishing the tiles beyond 2 or 3 squares from a city/unit.

Grid and Resource icon on all the time, it is the only way and the righteous way. Convert, you heathens, before you fall off the edge of the world. ^^

For me :

- beauty is irrelevant
- immersion is irrelevant
- practicality is all that matters
- i would love nothing more in civ 4 than to have exact civ 1 graphics because they make it very easy to tell everything apart (someone please make a mod for this, you'll be my hero!)

So for me, grid it is, always. Max zoom out too for the most practical view (and closest to civ 1).

mutax2003 said:
Grid and Resource icon on all the time, it is the only way and the righteous way. Convert, you heathens, before you fall off the edge of the world. ^^
Agree. I even tried to play with the land production on, but the screen got just too clutered.

I turn the grid on when planning city locations, off otherwise. I really wish the grid would highlight city radiuses -- radii? -- when it's on.

I never used them and i do fine

sometimes i turn grids on. like when deciding where to place the next or so 5 cities. but most of the time they're off.

I usually play with either the grid or the resource display up early on(but not both at the same time). As other have said, it's hard for me to tell exactly what is where and how far away from everything else it is.

Later in the game having the grid on really slows down map scrolling and makes my other big issue (mouse lockups) happen more often for some reason, so I usually turn it off after all the land is settled.

I usually have them off, but I will flip them on momentarily if I have to get an exact count for a plan.

I usually use the grid when I'm doing important things where I need to see the city radius more easily, and other related things. Without a grid, sometimes I get confused, since every building is diagonal, and gives the illusion of the old grid.

Well, if you mean those atrocious line-grids, then no. However, I always turn on resource/yield display. Yield is more attractive and less laggy, not to mention very useful.

The first thing I do when I start or load a game is turn the grids on, turn the resource dispaly on and then spend 45 minutes wrestling with the stupid overly sensitive impossible to control precisely controls to get max zoom out (or as close as I can manage before giving up).

Is there ANY way to set this stuff to default?

what a boring thread. Everyone is just making a statement instead of replying to other people. yes i am a hypocrite.

No grid. I don't need it to be able to tell where one tile ends and one begins. And it just looks better.

Top Bottom