Grievances and other odd mechanics. Questions

Ticklepink

Chieftain
When a civ is attacking a city state that you're suzerain of and you declare war on them with no grievances, are you not supposed to take their cities in order to not generate grievances? Seems a little odd that I'm supposed to declare war just to sit around and kill their units until they beg for peace. And has anyone actually ever made a demand that was met? This mechanic seems like the appendix. It has no use.( its 1910 and I have several death robots. Im literally 30 years ahead of everyone else in technology and my demands are laughed at.)

Last edited:
When a civ is attacking a city state that you're suzerain of and you declare war on them with no grievances, are you not supposed to take their cities in order to not generate grievances? Seems a little odd that I'm supposed to declare war just to sit around and kill their units until they beg for peace. And has anyone actually ever made a demand that was met? This mechanic seems like the appendix. It has no use.
Are you referring to protectorate war casus belli?
It waives grievances for the declaration itself and capturing the city state itself (should it fall to the aggressor.)
In virtually every part of the grievance system, taking cities is seen as a big warmonger no no.

Hardly self defense if you launch an invasion into another country and start annexing it...

Are you referring to protectorate war casus belli?
It waives grievances for the declaration itself and capturing the city state itself (should it fall to the aggressor.)
In virtually every part of the grievance system, taking cities is seen as a big warmonger no no.

Hardly self defense if you launch an invasion into another country and start annexing it...
so, in order to incur no grievances after that casius beli we are supposed to slap them on the wrist by blowing up some tanks but not separating them from their target city state so they can regroup to do it again..gotcha..hardly sounds like a punishment.

I believe with the grievance system that you are allowed to seize their cities, so long as you give them back in the peace settlement; this refunds the grievances generated by taking it.

You just can’t keep the cities for yourself.

And has anyone actually ever made a demand that was met?
Yes, the key thing with the mechanic is you need to be at their borders.

Seems a little odd that I'm supposed to declare war just to sit around and kill their units until they beg for peace
not at all. They declare war on your CS you get 50 grievance in your favour but it does get a bit complex after that and it’s late. Bottom line is take it as an excuse to attack their lands and pillage everything, maybe take a small city or 2 on the outskirts will not annoy civs a lot. But pillaging will give you a lot more benefit than owning. You are best to let them capture the CS as this clears out all enemy envoys and you get 3-6 free ones when you liberate. You also get more grievances against them for capturing the CS and you get diplomatic benefits from freeing it. There is no excuse to carve out half of Cv for such an incursion, but a city or 2 is fair enough.

Yes, the key thing with the mechanic is you need to be at their borders.

not at all. They declare war on your CS you get 50 grievance in your favour but it does get a bit complex after that and it’s late. Bottom line is take it as an excuse to attack their lands and pillage everything, maybe take a small city or 2 on the outskirts will not annoy civs a lot. But pillaging will give you a lot more benefit than owning. You are best to let them capture the CS as this clears out all enemy envoys and you get 3-6 free ones when you liberate. You also get more grievances against them for capturing the CS and you get diplomatic benefits from freeing it. There is no excuse to carve out half of Cv for such an incursion, but a city or 2 is fair enough.
Ha!! it worked!! Awesome TY!

You are best to let them capture the CS as this clears out all enemy envoys and you get 3-6 free ones when you liberate.
I got 9..
City-States which have been Liberated will choose their liberator for Suzerain, automatically assigning a number of Envoys to it: 3 if the liberation occurred up to the Medieval Era, 6 if it occurred during the Renaissance or Industrial Eras, and 9 during later Eras.

Back
Top Bottom